FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi from a newbie

Jellybabies
Community Member

Hi everyone, 

this is my first time in here, I'm not really sure what to say, I guess a little about myself would be a good place to start, I am  37, a mum to 4, a wife and I don't work, I've struggled with anxiety for what feels like my entire life, and I am feeling like I'm at the end of my rope, it feels like there is no light and I'm drowning, I've never asked for help, I've always felt so scared and uncomfortable about the way I've felt, that I usually just suffer in silence, I guess that's how I've ended up in here, I'm at the point where I feel like I need help, I don't know what kind, or where to even start looking so I'm easing my way in I suppose.

thankyou 😄

3 Replies 3

Zeal
Community Member

Hi Jelly babies,

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your message 🙂

Being a Mum of four must keep you busy and active!

The best place to start is to make an appointment with your GP. Explain how you've been feeling and what's bothering you. They can help refer you to a counsellor or psychologist. If you feel like talking to someone spontaneously and in the moment first, give beyond blue a call on 1300 22 4636.

Feel free to repost! You are more than welcome here 🙂

Best wishes,

SM

Cherpieus
Community Member

Hi Jellybabies,

It must be so hard dealing with anxiety and looking after 4 kids. Getting any time to yourself must be nearly impossible!

Let me assure you - you are not a failure as a person or mother by asking for help.  As well as seeing your GP do you have a trusted girlfriend you can talk to?  

Breathing exercises are a good place to start in treatment before you get to see a counsellor. There are plenty you can search up online.

Keep posting how you're going.

Cherpieus

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

dear Jellybabies, it's also so good to get new people posting on the site, whether they are helping another person or are actually suffering themselves, however by posting only once isn't necessarily going to help in the long run, no different than going to the doctors only once, it takes time, because along the way problems will always occur.

Your position of having 4 kids , a husband and cleaning the house and all the other chores a house person has to do is extremely intensive, and your feeling of being anxious can never be doubted, it's a very difficult situation that you are in.

Some people are able to control their anxiety, but because you suffer from it, doesn't mean in any way that it's a failure by you, and that's why it's great that you have contacted us, but to suffer in silence is never going to help you, and by saying this please don't feel at all embarrassed by going to see your doctor, it's an illness here that we are talking about, so it needs attention.

If you say that you have had it most of your life, only means that you have been struggling with it all this time, and nothing has been done to help you, nor are you able to overcome it by yourself, you don't know where to even start, and that's a good reason to see your doctor

I hope that we have been able to convince you, and that you can get back to us. L Geoff. x