FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi everyone

That Other Guy
Community Member

I just found this forum, I joined because I can't seem to keep a social media account. I am high functioning autistic, married 28 years, 53 years old, two kids, it's alleged I suffer depression although I've always felt I am rationally sad about the things in my life. I'm just hoping to find a community to be part of, really, because I work from home and my wife doesn't live with me and I lack any sort of social interaction. I've had a few friends in recent years but I lost them, one because I disagreed with his morals and one for reasons that would take another 2500 words to explain but basically she and I couldn't be friends without her looking to imply other levels of connection were intended that I was uncomfortable with. I have struggled with that more than once, and would just like a sense of support.

I play guitar, I am in a band. I love to cook. I like reading (currently reading Hannah Gadsby, I adore her). I have a dog and I love to take her for walks. That's all I guess.

7 Replies 7

Beeee
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello That Other Guy,

Welcome to the forum!

The forums are a great place to talk, vent and find a community.

Working and studying from home myself, I can understand how hard it is to make and maintain friendships. I like to remember that friends come and go and you will meet the right people when it's the right time. Hopefully you can make some friends here on the forums.

Being in a band sounds really cool, what sort of music do you guys play?

I also love reading, I've never read Hannah Gadsby but I might check her out! Personally I love Stephen King. And I'm not much of a cook but I do love baking.

Welcome again,

Beeee

Hello 🙂

I love heavy music but I am actually the guitarist in a blues band. Hannah Gadsby is a comedian, but she wrote a book about her life which is the book I am reading 🙂

I used to love lots of baking and then I moved in with my dad and he basically was living on garbage after mum died, so I got into cooking and I've just got more and more involved as I go.

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi that other guy,

Welcome to the forum. It is a great decision to come here, you'll find a lot of good listeners and advisors. This is a community of lovely people who always support each other.

I'm sorry for your challenge, but I'm also happy to know that you have on-going hobbies, you're in a band, and you have a dog. They're extremely important elements in your life to keep yourself on the right track. While enjoying the things you love to do, I'd encourage you to explore some interest clubs, including off-line clubs in your community, as well as online clubs (try 'Clubhouse' app).

You must be a skilled and experienced person in some areas, using them to do some volunteer jobs will also make you feel connected and fulfilled.

Moreover, would you like to consider Mental health peer support? There're some organisations out there providing mental health peer support service, such as MindAustralia (www.mindaustralia.org.au), or access to peer support groups, such as GROW (https://grow.org.au). If you feel you need more supporting resources, feel free to give BeyondBlue a call (1300 22 4636, 24/7).

Hope everything will be better.

Mark

Thanks for the links, I'll check it out.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hello.

welcome to the community. i read your initial post and then saw your post count. I hope you are going OK.

There are some similarities between yourself and me - likes cooking, reading and heavy music. (I used to work at / from home in software.)

Wanna tell me a little your interests and work?

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi @ThatOtherGuy!

A very warm welcome to the forums!

You mentioned having a dog! What kind of dog do you have?

AllGone
Community Member

Hi

I am new here..only just joined...not really sure what I am looking for but I relate to you comment re being rationally sad about things in your life. I have been diagnosed with severe depression but I can't help but feel would be abnormal not to feel depressed and struggling with the things that have happened and others stuff that pops up.

I have always just kept going...doing my best and in order to remain functional have had to accept a never ending sadness that just cant go away. I take the meds I have been prescribed and see a psycologist when they are available but I never really know if it is worth it.

I have a lovely dog too. Cant take him for walks unless I get i my electric wheelchair and it has been either too hot or to wet lately.

Between life experiences, COVID and now flooding and the war in Ukraine ... mind is pretty much at explosion level. How does anyone remain normal or function ?

Not sure if this is how I am supposed to talk or if any thing i am saying is right. Just thought I would start somewhere.