FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hi, everyone. My name is David & I'm new.

David_C1
Community Member

I'm hoping to get some support and advice for my anxiety/panic attacks/depression as I contemplate suicide almost on a daily basis.

I'm at the end of my tether.

6 Replies 6

Sophie_M
Hi David, 

We really appreciate that you have felt comfortable enough to share what you are going through with our safe and supportive community. 

Thank you for trusting us with your journey and please know that we are here to support you through this. 

We are writing as we are worried about you and want to let you know that as well as your peers here at the Online Forums, our support service is always available if you need immediate assistance on 1300 22 4636, additionally, our friends at Lifeline can also offer you urgent support on 13 11 14. 

Please write back and let us know how you are going when you feel up to it. 

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi David.C1

Welcome, I am so proud that when you are feeling like you are at the end of your tether that you have found the courage to come and chat to us here. That is really brave of you and I hope that you can feel the care and support here. We are here with you, to chat about whatever you feel like, if you feel like it.

Struggling with mental health is tough, really tough and I hope that you can see here that you are not alone, that there are people who are feeling just like you here and together it does make the toughness seem a little easier to manage. It is nice to read how others manage in times of feeling suicidal, or times of feeling anxious or panicked or times of feeling nothing at all, or not even knowing how you are feeling.

I can see that Sophie_M has given you some support lines to call, the people at Lifeline are so very wonderful and if you are feeling up to it, a chat with them might really help. I also want to make sure that you are safe right now, if you feel like you are not please call 000 and have an ambulance come, while I understand it can be hard to believe that you matter and that people care, we do, so very much and you are wanted here.

I know at times when you do feel like there is nothing to live for it can be really hard to find things to live for, I am wondering if you have ever thought about doing a safety plan? Beyond Blue have a brilliant support and it is called the Beyond Now app, I will put the link here if you would like to have a look:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/beyondnow-suicide-safety-planning

If you would like to chat and to get some things off your chest about how things are for you right now I would be happy to listen, and to chat if you like. I am here to put a virtual arm around you David.C1 and let you know that I care.

I hope to chat some more to you soon.

Hugs

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, your support brings a tear to my eyes. It certainly makes me feel better knowing I'm not struggling alone with my problems.

xox

Hi David.C1

It is great to hear back from you and also so wonderful that my message of support was able to be felt by you, I am here to chat to you and my care is genuine, the community here is really unlike anything I have experienced.

How are you feeling today? What does the day look like for you?

I am also wondering what you thought about the app and if that is something you think might be of value to you?

I am just about to have a Chai Latte, one of the things in my day that makes me feel so wonderful and is a great start for me..small things.

I hope to chat some more to you David.C1

Hugs

Sarah

David_C1
Community Member

Thank you to Aaronsis & Sophie_M. I've always had a little anxiety throughout my life, but 18 months ago I was diagnosed with Parkinson's. As you can imagine it was a shock to the system. You hear about people getting it but you never expect it would happen to you. Even though I've had minor symptoms my anxiety steadily got worse. I had a bone scan on my hip as it was getting pain. I was convinced that I had bone cancer. Couple of days before I got my results I started getting panic attacks. Even though the results were fine my panic attacks continue to this day, almost continuously. It's been 5 months! I've been to my GP & a psychologist (6 months now)and a psychiatrist (who tells me to stop worrying) but it continues.

Cheers David

Hi David

I am sure that being told you have Parkinson's was a huge shock to the system, I am hoping that there are some supports in place for you, not only medically but in the forms of maybe peer groups with others that have this and can provide some support and some guidance for you. Being told "not to worry" is very unhelpful and I feel so disanointed that this was a response from a metal health practitioner, if it was that easy then no one would suffer from anxiety would they?

I can see how the panic attacks are a result of expecting to hear some bad news with regards to your health as you got the news about Parkinson's when you were completely not expecting it, this does cause some trauma and is understandable that when things hurt or you are in pain or feel ill, you go to a place that raises anxiety and concern. I am sorry that they were not able to give you some constructive tools as to how to perhaps manage this and process information with regards to your health. It is very easy to say "don't worry about it", but not one bit helpful.

Have you been able to find some techniques to be able to manage the panic attacks and the "worry" around your health?

I also wanted to mention to you that I read your reply to one of the other members about feeling lonely and I thought that you gave some wonderful support and advice and I found it to be so very positive, I just wanted to let you know that I thought it was terrific. I think that is one of my favorite parts of being in a place like this is when you come you are inward searching and then you suddenly join in others conversations and find you are now outward giving which is so wonderful.

Hope your day is going well David.

Cheers
Sarah