FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Hello

Chipmunk
Community Member

Hi all.

newbie here. I decided to join because I just simply need help. I’ve never been good at asking for help or admitting when I need it but it’s to the point that I’m now struggling. I have severe anxiety, severe depression, ptsd and post natal depression. Lately everything has just creeped up on me and I’m feeling so confused and overwhelmed over it all.

Does anyone have any advice to jus start to cope or how to handle all these? I have a daughter and I feel guilty that I have depression like I feel I should be happy all the time. I just need help 😞

55 Replies 55

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Chipmunk, and a warm welcome to the forums.

It's not easy when you feel like this to ask for help, as you may try and convince yourself that your problems are yours and from what other people have previously said they have been able to overcome it themselves, but each one of us is different as are the circumstances, so what you're struggling with could be in another form.

It's unsure whether of these conditions started the others, but know from myself that PND can begin the aggression of the others, or perhaps vice-versa, not that I'm qualified to say.

We are horrified when any of one of these conditions begins to control us and do feel empathy for the kid/s we're trying to raise, but somehow they learn to adjust, the most important part is that you have not brought on any undeserved burden onto someone else’s life, we want to help you.

If you are aged 25 or under then Kids Helpline 1800 55 1800 maybe able to help you by phone or online chat.

If you are able to contact your doctor and ask them about the mental health plan, this will entitle you to 10 Medicare paid sessions to visit a psych, and because you feel hesitate then write down what's troubling you now, in the past and in the future, then all you have to do is just pass this onto the psych, this will help when you're asked 'how can I help you'.

Please come back because there's much more to talk about from our own experience.

Take care.

Geoff.

[LINK href='"https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/welcome-and-orientation/hello--E46B5C73C392?actionMode=replyPost&postId=f02926ab-f371-61bc-846e-ff0000e9d3fc#" unselectable="on" tabindex="-1">

Tay100
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Chipmunk

It sounds like you are trying your best to be there for your daughter as well as for yourself, but this can be hard when we are battling other things- the good news is reaching out here is a great place to ask for help. We are a non-judgemental and compassionate community who can provide general support or point you in the direction of further help if you like too. Would you like to share more of your story, if you feel ok with that? No pressure at all.

Tay100

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Chipmunk,

I am really sorry to hear you are struggling and that things are feeling so overwhelming. It sounds like there is a lot going on for you right now. Seeking help can feel really daunting and uncomfortable, I am glad you have felt able to reach out. Please know there is no shame in seeking help, I'm sorry it is something you have struggled with but it is more than okay to ask for help. We are here to listen.

Do you have a close family member or friend or a GP/health professional that you feel able to talk to about what has been happening? It could be really helpful to talk to someone so that they can give you the support you need and check in with you as/when you need it. If you are open to it, writing can also be a really helpful process when things feel really overwhelming - writing can help organise your thoughts a bit more, it may help you see what is going on from a different perspective and it can help externalise a little of the stress and emotion that you are going through. Is there anything or anyone that has helped you in the past when things have reached a tipping point?

Also, please know you do not need to feel guilt for struggling with your mental health. I have also struggled with feelings of guilt (particularly feeling like a burden to family) when I have been unwell, but please know that you do not need to feel guilty. You need to be kind to yourself, you need to give yourself the space and time to focus on getting through this dark period, whatever that looks like for you.

Please do not hesitate to talk more if and when you feel up to it. Take care.

Hey all for replying back, I’ve never been good at talking about my issues.

I feel better knowing I’m not alone. Bit of a back story. I’m going to trigger warming it and I’m sorry if I upset anyone. I was abused by my dad for pretty much my whole childhood, I only opened up last year about it all and all of it is still really messing my head up. My family isn’t coping with it all and it really taking a toll on me.

I’ve spoke to friends and my gp I see someone but with COVID it’s a bit harder. But sometimes I feel like that my friends just don’t care, like I could be so depressed but it’s hard to tell them.

this is the first time I’ve really hit tipping point, like I just wannA curl up in a ball and not move, Besides my daughter I feel so alone.

Guest_4643
Community Member

Hello Chipmunk, welcome to the forums.

Good on you for coming here and reaching out. I have anxiety, depression & PTSD aswell, but not Postnatal Depression as I'm only 21 & don't have kids, never had a relationship. But I still understand with the anxiety, depression & PTSD.

I'm here if you would like someone to talk to, or just someone to listen.

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I am really sorry that happened to you, that is awful. I cannot imagine how painful it would have been to keep that to yourself and not feel able to open up about it for such a long time. It sounds like you are feeling very isolated with not a lot of support, which is really tough. Would you feel comfortable talking to your GP about potentially getting a Mental Health Care Plan to link you in with someone who may be able to help you cope with what you have been through/are going through? If this feels too difficult or too much, the Blue Knot Foundation (https://www.blueknot.org.au/) has some great resources and a telephone support line for people who have experienced childhood trauma. Lifeline (13 11 14) is also another option for more immediate support.

There is also the trauma-specific thread of the beyond blue online forums (https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/ptsd-trauma) (you may already be aware in which case my apologies). You may find some helpful words and support there too.

I really hope you are able to find the support that you need. Take care.

Thank you, I think I just wanna talk to someone without being judged. A lot of my friends just call me weird for being the way I am, it’s like they wouldn’t understand.

I’ve seen the dr and I have a mental health plan, but cause of Chrissy amd New Years my dr is closed so I can’t get another one yet. I just want to talk to someone who understands and can help me through it. Because I am feeling more and more guilty of feeling depressed especially with my daughter.

I won't judge you, nobody here will. It's a safe place here.

I don't understand with the parent stuff, I do apologise for that, but I understand with the anxiety, PTSD, etc.

sunnyl20
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hey Chipmunk,

I am really sorry your friends are not understanding and that you don't feel able to talk to them. While you are waiting for your GP, it could be really helpful to reach out to the counsellors at Blue Knot on 1300 657 380 (9am-5pm Mon-Sunday), they are very understanding and can offer you support over the phone or via their webchat. You are obviously more than welcome to talk about what you are struggling with on here, but I just thought I would suggest Blue Knot as well if you wanted to talk to someone in real time.

Take care.