FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Grandma feeling down

choc37
Community Member
Hi, Until recently I had my granddaughter living with me, now she is gone I'm feeling lost and alone. Can't sleep and have no friends to talk to. Feeling like my life is over, i've come on here hoping there is someone to chat to...thanks x
5 Replies 5

Sophie_M
Dear choc37,

Welcome to the forum. we wish to acknowledge your courage in posting. We are a very supportive community.

Many of our long-time members often communicate with other members. However, to get involved in more chats, we would encourage you to browse through the various subjects and see if there is anyone you would like to reply to.

We are always here for you.

Warm regards,

Sophie M.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Choc, please accept our heartfelt sorrow and know that a grandchild can and will do so much to not only help you but also to raise your spirits with all the new trends and definitely help you with all the new technology.

As I'm also a granddad to two beautiful young girls, I can appreciate how you are feeling.

We are here anytime you want to talk.

My best wishes.

Geoff.

livi_mivi
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Choc37,

I can only imagine how hard of an adjustment this is, my family and I used to live with my grandmother too for a period of time and I could just see how emotional of a time it was for her when we all moved out. I’m not a grandmother but it’s safe to say that my grandmothers are some of my best friends and greatest inspirations. I know just how important and appreciated a grandchild’s presence is in a grandparent’s life, especially when you share such a close bond.

I encourage you to keep engaging with us on the forums and hope that you can find comfort and support here. Always here for a chat x

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi choc37,

I am so sorry to hear that you have been feeling this way. From my own experiences of listening to friends' parents and grandparents, when someone moves out it can feel like an 'empty nest'. However, what has helped them is to really think about the things that make them happy and what they can focus on instead. It could be any hobbies, for example painting (or joining a painting class), going to the library, taking photos of nature outside. You sound like an incredibly caring person and I really relate to that! When someone is not there the focus comes back to me and I start to think 'now what do I do!". Now that I have hobbies to do I don't mind the time I spend alone.

I really hope that helps but please know that you are not alone because we are a very non-judgemental bunch here and there are so many different topics. I hope you feel comfort here.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi choc37,

Wellcome to our forums.

Im sorry you are feeling this way.

You must have had a close relationship with your granddaughter I understand when she moved out you were left thinking what next?

Your life isn't over, you can still do many things.

What do you enjoy doing?