FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Going in to retirement living cause I have no family and serious health issues gives me anxiety and

eloop
Community Member

Retirement living because of health problems not old age 

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

HI, welcome

As I see it there is two issues- the nursing home environment and your young age.

My wife and I nursed my MIL until 8 weeks before she passed away when she entered a nursing home. She said "I wished I'd known how good this place and the people are". Indeed she enjoyed it. Not everyone will but many will.

Your young age might see you reclusive in such a building. However, over time you will identify the ones that have a modern younger mind that their body doesnt reflect.

I hope this helps.

TonyWK

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello eloop

I've been thinking of this sort of thing lately, too, because my own physical condition seem to be in decline in some fundemental ways, & I,  too, don't have support of very close friends or family.

I am not at all sure I can manage to financially afford anything - so seem to have little choice open to me, but I would like somewhere where I feel I could have help & support when I need ti, somewhere where there is security as well, so the retirement village or gated community does appeal.

Then there is the question of when/if I ever have high care needs, such as a nursing home ... yes, I dread that too, if I am not able to make decisions, or have control of how I live, am able to have as much privacy as I like, etc.

It's a very difficult decision to make & I don't yet know if there are people I could recommend talking to about it, because, as you indicate, you are not a 'senior' citizen. But I have noticed a few villages for over 55s retirees.... & some which I discover insist on people being over 75...

I wish you all the best,

Hugzies

mmMekitty

eloop
Community Member

thanks for reply it’s the anxiety about the whole situation that does my head in good to knowing I am not the only one 

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi eloop,

Thanks for sharing and I can tell it must be very challenging for you. 

Except seeking professional and social support, it's also important to stay open to new experiences. Retirement living can offer new opportunities for learning and experiences, and being open to these can lead to unexpected joy and fulfillment.

This may include trying new activities, meeting new people, and learning new skills. Retirement communities often offer a variety of activities and programs. For example art classes, gardening clubs, exercise groups, book clubs. Even if you've never tried these activities before, give them a chance. You might discover a new hobby or interest. 

Another benefit of a retirement community is the chance to meet people from diverse backgrounds. Engaging in conversations, participating in communal meals, or joining social events can lead to new friendships and meaningful connections.

This phase of your life can be a great time to learn new skills as well. Such as a new language, a craft skill, or a musical instrument. Many retirement communities offer classes or you can find online resources.

Hope you will find your joy and fulfilment.

Warmly,

Mark