FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

First time for everything

Be_like_a_Tree
Community Member

Hello,

This will be the first time I've ever posted on a forum like this. I'm a little nervous. I'll gather my thoughts and create a proper post eventually. But in the meantime, I'm a mum of three, i'm grieving the loss of a parent, experiencing some significant financial instability and its all coming out as sheer overwhelm and struggling to cope on the daily - Gosh, life can be A LOT at times. So, hi to all, nice to meet you all and I look forward to chatting online sometime. x

8 Replies 8

HappyHelper88
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Be*like*a*Tree thankyou for your post and welcome,

lm so sorry to hear what you are going through it sounds like you have a lot going on. No time can completely heal the wounds of losing a loved one.
There is lots of support available here for you

All the best and I hope you find the support you are looking for. We are all here to help.
If you want to talk this through with a Beyond Blue counsellor, we’re on 1300 22 4636 or you can reach us on webchat here. Please remember to reach out whenever you need to.

Summer Rose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you’ve got a lot on your plate right now and it sure doesn’t help that there’s a global pandemic bubbling away in the background. I’m not surprised that you feel overwhelmed and that you’re struggling to cope. Hugs to you.

I’m really sorry for your loss. I imagine that with the kids and life it’s hard to even find the time to grieve. I know I felt that way.

I lost my mum two years ago—can’t believe it’s been that long, seems like just yesterday—and felt my life was so busy that I had to slow down a bit to deal with my loss. Everything felt out of control and off kilter.

Grieving is a process, akin to riding a roller coaster with highs, lows and unexpected twists and turns—minus the fun. But I can tell you that it does gets easier over time.

I think it helps at times like this in life to be kind to yourself and to look after yourself. Try to make time to do something you enjoy each day—even if it’s just half an hour to read or listen to music. Aim to include some exercise daily, as it will help to lift your mood. Try to get good rest and eat healthy food.

Most of all it’s good to stay connected with friends and family. Posting here was a great move, too. We are a community of people who understand mental health and there is no judgment—just kindness and support.

Please post any time.

Kind thoughts to you

On The Road
Community Member

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear that things are not going well for you at the moment. The grief and the pressure on you are overwhelming but you still ground for yourself and reach out which shows your strength and few people could do that. It takes time to relieve and recover from all these. Step by step, I hope support from families, grief counselling and financial counselling would alleviate your pain and help you solve the problems.

At the moment, some people (like me) chatting together online in a supportive community would definitely help in the first place. I'm also new here and expecting to look around here.

Take Care

Positive_vibes89
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Im so very sorry for your loss, I recently lost my grandmother. Death is so very sad and its an inevitable part of our lives even though we know this, it still does not make it any easier to accept or cope. The national grief line is toll free number you can call to talk with somone about your grief 1300 845 745. Please ensure you are getting adequate nutrition and sleep as its so important to look after your physical health, especially for your children. I understand you will be feeling very stressed about your financial instability too, is there anyway youre able to get some support from the government or another family member? Or reach out to some local food drives as well for some support with food. You are also welcome to call the beyond blue support line too, our friendly councillors will be willing to listen and support you 1300 22 4636

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Be *like* a tree.
welcome to the forum. I am sorry for loss of your parent.

Both my parents have died. And I found the first year so hard Nd the grief would pounce on me in strange place like the freezer section of the supermarket.
I would write letters to my parent on the computer and this helped. I have friends who drew what they felt .

Tale time and be kind to yourself.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Be*like*a*Tree, and a warm welcome to the site.

It can be so difficult knowing what to say when you have just signed on, but you have done well and said enough for us to understand the position you're in and we offer you all the sympathy for the loss of a parent, such a tragic event we never think would happen and can be hard for the family to try and cope with, in many unexpected ways.

There may be many unsolved questions you'd like to ask us which could appease how you feeling, so we are here to help you.

Geoff.

jaz28
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello,

I am sorry you have been feeling overwhelmed. Please know we are all here and up for chat.

Jaz.

Banksy92
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Be*like*a*Tree,

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. Please do take your time and open up however you're comfortable, we're here to chat whenever you need us.

Very sorry to hear of your loss, and with so much else on your plate I can see you're really hurting right now.

Sometimes the simple step of writing things down, or letting things out in a safe space can be therapeutic.

Do you have any friends, a partner or family you are close with in your life to support you through this time?

It's a really positive step to have reached out here, and there are so many kind people who would love to offer you support and kind words however they can.

All I can say at this stage is try to be gentle with yourself and take each day as you can.