FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling sad, lonely, stressed and anxious...

kingzen69
Community Member

Hi,

I'm not really the type to talk about my feelings to people, so this is like the first time doing this. So, I don't know when it all started, maybe after high school going into uni... but I've noticed a big change in my emotions. I guess I've just been a lot lonelier and regretful of how things kinda turned out, like not experiencing much about relationships. My friends and I hang out sometimes, watching movies and going out drinking, but other than that just pretty much on my own, working and studying, and doing my hobbies which makes me happy most times. Not sure how recent, but I think I've cried a lot more. I don't know, sometimes my mood just changes, and different thoughts just pop in my head. I know I'm also a lot more stressed and anxious because I'm about to finish my degree and I have to determine what I'll be doing for the rest of my life. I guess that's just a normal thing?

Anyway, yeah, I just break down crying most nights to the point I just cry myself to sleep, just thinking about stuff and feeling sorry for myself mostly. I don't know, I think there's a part of me that likes feeling sorry for myself, or maybe I'm just an emotional person. I do sometimes wish I had someone to talk about my feelings to. I normally don't talk about these things to my family cause I think they'd think of me differently. They know I'm a shy and introverted person, but I guess I don't want them to think I got a problem, and I'm sad or whatever. I guess I just don't wanna add my problems to their problems… if that makes sense, I don't know.

Well, that's pretty much it I guess.

7 Replies 7

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Kingzen, it's not easy to open up to strange people and really appreciate how you are feeling, and understand it's unknown what you future beholds after you finish your degree, but the problem may be much deeper than this, although I'm not a doctor to qualify this.

Crying yourself to sleep is a major issue and perhaps even being an emotional person doesn't necessarily mean a person cries themselves to sleep but may react in a different way.

We don't want you to feel this way and when your mood changes like it is now, we really want to encourage you to visit your doctor, because it's their job to help anyone who visits them, no matter what may be the problem.

If you are 25 or under, you could also contact Kids Helpline (5 to 25 Years) 1800 55 1800 by phone, web chat or online, but please know we also want to help you, listen to what you want to say, so if you could keep in contact with us, that would be great.

Geoff.

minkey
Community Member

Hi kingzen,

That sounds really tough. I had the same feeling when I finished my degree, I had no idea what to do and it felt like so much pressure to figure out what to do, supposedly for the rest of my life. It's so tricky to navigate especially if you're feeling sad.

Your family might be able to support you if you think you might be able to talk to even just one of them about how you're feeling. I really struggle to do that but sometimes I'm able to tell my Mum I'm feeling stressed and it helps. I usually find that she already knows and wants to help in some way.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and also that you're not alone with this stuff.

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forums and thank you for being so open here. It sounds like you are going through a very difficult time and are struggling to cope with all the overwhelming emotions.

Have you tried to see a mental health professional about this? They may be able to help you through a coping plan.

You mentioned that you have no one to talk to about your feelings. Just remember you have your friends who love you for who you are. You also have the whole BB community so please remember you are safe and heard.

Stay safe and i am always here to chat 🙂

Hi Sophia,

Thanks for the kind words. How do I go about arranging with a mental health professional? Am I to talk to my GP first?

Hello Kingzen, if I could interrupt and sorry Sophia 16 for doing so, but you need to consult with your doctor to organise a 'mental health plan'.

My apologies for interferring.

Geoff.

Hi kingzen,

Welcome to the Beyond Blue forum community . Just adding to the information you have already received, you may like to have a look at the Beyond Blue resource section.

There is a lot of information about how to gain support, it explains different professionals you may be able to seek assistance from and so much more. It is very informative and has helped me in the past.

This might be an option to seek more knowledge while you are waiting for a possible appointment with your Dr if you choose to seek help that way.

It can be difficult to reach out to family and friends. Some people are supportive and try to be understanding, some just struggle with mental health issues. Maybe try saying you need some help and see what response you receive.

I use support lines like here at Beyond Blue and Life Line when I am struggling.

Yes 🙂 It is best to see your local GP about how you are feeling and they will refer you to a mental health professional if needed.