FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling Alone

Gracious Gal
Community Member
Hi, I'm a newbie here. I'm struggling with anxiety which includes social anxiety. Have always had difficulty making friends, so thought I could connect with other people that can relate to that. Often feel like I don't fit in and I'm looking to change that. I also have work related stress and anxiety and feel like I'm in a job that doesn't suit "the real me". Hoping to chat with others that may be experiencing the same thing.
14 Replies 14

Sea_Turtle
Community Member

Hi Gracious Gal

I have had undiagnosed OCD growing up. I was awkward, and always hyper vigilant. Got diagnosed at 17 and then went through a couple other diagnosis and a horrible few years. I’ve never managed to make any proper friends. Completely understand feeling alone.

work wise I’m studying because I want to do something that is helpful and something I’m passionate about.

Sending support

Hi Sea Turtle

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to connect with someone that understands me.

I've had a few friends in the past through school. But that was a while ago now. The few friends I did have, I felt like they didn't get the real me and I was always trying to be something I wasn't to fit in.

Work wise I was in a job for almost 18 years. Towards the end the environment got so toxic though I decided to leave. Since November last year I have had 3 different jobs all of which made me anxious enough to leave and apply for other jobs. I have the qualifications to do the job but feel again it's not the real me.

Glad to hear you're studying something that is useful and something you're passionate about. Keep it up.

Sending my support to you as well

Hey Gracious Gal

I can’t imagine a toxic work environment helping anything. Sorry about that.
I bet the real you is wonderful. She does sound very nice. I’m trying to be open with people and be the real me. It’s hard.
Just because you have qualifications in a certain area doesn’t mean you have to do that. It’s never too late to study again or change your career.

I really hope you find what you need.

HamSolo01
Community Member

Hi Gracious Gal, Sea_Turtle

I can relate to some themes here.

Firstly I find that after most of my 20s I have struggled.

Work wise I was in a job too long that was both beneath my challenge level and also a very toxic environment. From then i have just had similar roles. They were never good enough for me and I grew bored.

I recently quit a secure well paid job because it was making me bored and depressed. I could see that in a few months time I would want to leave.

I have struggled with depression and anxiety and I think its hard now because I dunnonwhat I want in life. I am worried about hitting 30 and not having enough friends. Most of my life is at home now. Nothing I really want to do because I don't have many friends and I am usually bored. I'm coming off meds too.

i guess what I'm saying is that I empathise. Sorry for butting in and talking about me

Hey HamSolo01

You don’t need to apologise, nor do you need to apologise now for apologising. I am guilty of this too.

I’m on meds too. When I miss them or something I get all over the place. From, crying, to getting angry to completely overthinking everything. It makes me realise how complex brains are and honestly it scares me.

I hope you can find a job that makes you feel alright. Maybe you could just work on what you want to be. Say in an alternate universe. It doesn’t mean you’ll be able to do it tomorrow. But maybe it will help you start a hobby in the same direction or Be able to slowly work towards something more rewarding.

I have no suggestions for lack of friends as I’m in the say boat.

best wishes Sea_Turtle

Hey HamSolo01,

I agree with Sea_Turtle no need to apologise for butting in. That's what it's all about on here..being able to relate to other people going through the similar things.

Work wise...I feel a little lost. I have always had jobs in similar roles but feel like I want to be doing something different. Just not sure where to start to change directions

I'm in my forties, married and have a mortgage. So definitely need to keep working. I just know the job I'm in now is not for me, makes my anxiety worse. But I don't want to let down my husband and change jobs again. I feel stuck.

I'm not on any meds but am seeing GP tomorrow and have made an appointment to see a psychologist. Hope they can help me figure out a few things.

I understand where you are coming from and empathise. It's good to relate to other people going through similar things in their lives.

Best wishes

Gracious Gal

thanks @GraciasGal and Sea Turtle for your understanding

I do believe there needs to be more of it in this world

I applied for a paid intern role today I saw. It's probably below my skill level but i just want to do something i care about. I don't care about money in its own right. I get it is important in life, but it can't be the only thing. Especially if i have not lived to my full potential. Idk. These topics are hard.

I do hope you are both well this evening

Kat_Em
Community Member

Hello @graciousgal

I'm a newbie here too. I kind of felt like I had run out of people who would listen to me, I guess they simply don't quite understand. I too struggle with anxiety. It's starting to take a toll on work and life in general. My GP prescribed meds however I am even anxious about taking them!

Trying to find a psychologist this week as I am sure this will help but I've been struck down with Covid. Hello... Anxiety overdrive!

How are you going and did you hear about the job you applied for?

I hope you are well.

Hey Kat_Em

I’ve learnt from my loved ones that it’s really hard to imagine what it’s like to feel this way. But they’ve got better at it overtime and start to figure it out.

oh my covid, not exactly helpful but I guess most of us will get it sooner or later.

Anxious about taking meds is extremely familiar for me. I’ve been on them for two years. I am genuinely shocked to say that now I am glad of them, and feel fine about taking them. I was terrified of them. Now I see them as not changing me but giving me access to certain parts of my brain so that it can learn that’s ok and hopefully I can get all the way better.

It’s nice to chat on here with people who know that horrid feeling and how it affects you.

Take care