FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Estranged Son

remaincarm
Community Member

I have been estranged from my son for nearly 8 years - his choice not mine. We think he was on drugs at the time as he spread some vicious rumours about abuse he had received at my and his brothers hands. None of this was true. I respect his right to maintain his distance. He has his own wife and children now who he meant and who believed his story. I know this as I contacted his old school friend who told me this. The thing is, my mother and his grandmother is dying with only a few days to live and I was thinking of finding a way to contact him and let him know, by letter. He was always close to her and I feel he might want to know. But maybe not, hence using a letter not FB.  My question is does anyone know how to go about finding his address - and, I suppose, should I reach out? He not only cut off me and my husband but his whole family so perhaps he won’t want to know.  Feedback appreciated 

2 Replies 2

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello remaincarm, this may be as easy as it sounds, unfortunaely, because you don't know what state he and his family live in, but if you can type this in your search bar 'how to find lost family members for free in australia' it might give some clue.

Red Cross have a free way to help you, so you could contact them, but time is the issue here.

Geoff.

Life Member.

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Remaincarm,

I'm sorry for your challenge. But as you said, your son was close to his grandma, he may want to know.

I think if you try to reach him, there's nothing to lose, but if you don't, chances are you'll regret it.

Do you think it's possible to reach out through his old school friend or any other close friend of him?

Mark