FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression, Anxiety and Weight Issues

Fighting
Community Member

Hi all,

I am new to this community. I have battled with depression and anxiety for about 15 years. Most of that time it has been a non-issue and other times I have been able to treat it fairly quickly (12 months). This time though is different. I am approaching the 2 year mark.

Anti-depressants have always caused me to put on weight, but the length of this 'dip' has seen me put on 30 kg. I am currently sitting at 99.7 and am petrified of that becoming a 3-digit number tomorrow.

I have just changed to another medication as weight gain is not a side effect in as many patients as other anti-depressants. I have spouts of energy and motivation to exercise and eat well, but these have been defeated when the kgs continue to increase.

Tomorrow I will start again - but would appreciate any stories of others battling this issue (successfully or not), any hints and tips, and any support.

xx

7 Replies 7

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi fighting

All the diets...I've tried them all.

But the latest, my own diet, I've lost 14kg over 5 months and kept it off

No bread, butter, excess sugar, potatoes and rice.

With rice if you boil it add one tablespoon of coconut oil. Then refrigerate it for 12 hours or freeze it for later use. The oil teacts with the rice and it halves the calories. Result...very healthy.

Hope that helps.

Tony WK

SDali
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Fighting,

A few years ago I was put on an anti-psychotic drug that is well known for weight gain. It changes your metabolism and makes you crave food 24/7. I would wake up and want ice cream for breakfast and noticed that I just couldn't stop thinking about food. I have always been underweight so I didn't understand what was happening and I quickly put on 15kg.

I kept telling myself my mental health was more important than my vanity so I should stay on the medication, but the more weight I put on and the worse I ate the worse I felt about myself. My depression ending up being worse because of that than any benefit the medication was giving me.

Eventually I went back to my psychiatrist and explained what was happening and changed the medication.

Everyone's situation is different and there are lots of factors that affect weight gain, but I think it's important to talk to your mental health team and find what works for you.

Goodluck! xx

blackcat64013
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Fighting,

Re drugs and weight gain ...

I have just participated in a trial with the SA Medical and Health Research Institute (SAHMRI) working with a medical psychologist and mental health nurse. We did a lot of cognitive behavior therapy (CBT) over 10 weeks.

As weighty problems are usually both metabolic (meds side affects) and behavioural (comfort eating) it is important to address both at the same time.

If you have an approved Medicare mental health plan you are funded for sessions with an accredited dietician. My first GP appointment since SAHMRI is on Saturday. I am going to practice what I preach and ask for a referral.

Hi White Knight,

We really are struggling against the odds if we adopt a seefood (see it eat it) diet.

The Australian government, National Health and Medical Research Council, Dept of Health and Ageing has published an Australian Guide to Healthy Eating. Basic food groups, serve sizes and meal ideas are available at the website eatforhealth.gov.au

Trisherose
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi fighting.

I have recently come out of my latest episode of major depression, lasting a little over 3 yrs. This has been my longest ever. In the depth of the depression exercise did not help my mood on most occasions. With the last change of meds, may last year, I started to exercise on a more regular basis (as I was feeling quite a bit better) and the weight subsequently dropped. Comfort eating and a holiday away helped to put some back on again.

Ive been naughty on holidays, and comfort eating has been a little more frequent over the past 4-6 months again, so tomorrow I start over. Im going to try to stick to proteins, verges and a small amount of fruit. I will limit carbs and milk products.

Some people say that the 5/2 diet works for them. 2 days of very strict dieting, 5 normal diet.

Please do not be hard on yourself. I find it too easy to be very critical of myself, which is counter productive to our goal. It is not easy. There is no simple answer. Spend time with people who listen well and help you to smile. And be kind to yourself. Take part in activities you love to do.

Good luck.

JustALittleConfused_Lost
Community Member

Hello, I noticed your message, and my heart goes out to you. I wish I had answers of advice on help.

Unfortunately I don't have those sorts of answers yet, but I just want you to know your not alone, I know what you mean, depression and anxiety can take control of your life sometimes, making it hard to eat, or do daily things. But once you begin to notice what it is that's making you feel so down and depressed to the point you have an eating disorder, it will give you a bit of peace and then at least you may be able to accept what has happened in the past because unfortunately it can't be changed. But I find with myself, working out what I want to do in my future, even what I can do tomorrow with my life can over power the feeling of the past. I hope your doing okay!

monkey_magic
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi,

I've also put on weight. On meds, side effect is increased appetite & I ate more as a result. Feeling sedated is also a side effect so decreased physical activity- result put on lots of kilos. It's definitely not easy living with excess weight so I can empathise.

Today I went for a swim. The only solution is to burn more calories than you consume so you have a calorie deficit. Exercise is great for depression, so is healthy eating.

I wish you good health and know there is someone else, well lots of someone else's battling the bulge with you. Most people out there want to lose weight so we are definately not on our own.