FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depressed

Roscoe_
Community Member

Hi I'm looking for help as I am often feeling very depressed weekends seem to be the worst , I have feelings of worthlessness and am becoming increasingly more confused I have trouble making friends, weekends are usually spent alone trying to tell myself that things are ok , I go to cafe by myself or the shopping centre for something to do . At work I'm ok most of the time it's after work and weekends I feel that I'm hiding how I am feeling to my few friends and don't know how to ask for help, when it gets really bad and I break down I end up in tears and feel totally useless I have battled these feelings over many years and the past keeps bringing me down and I'm having real trouble moving forward, any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 Replies 4

Matto74
Community Member

Roscoe_, Toady is my first day of admitting that my life will never get better unless I get help. I joined this group among other things today. Your post was the first I saw, The first I read. You made me realise I was in the right place doing the right thing. You are definitely not worthless. You give me hope.

I give enough bad advice to myself so I can only thank you.

Matty74 

indigo22
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Roscoe_ & Matto74.

Welcome to both of you and thank you for having the courage to reach out. There are so many of us here that can relate to the way you are feeling. I am in my 60s and have been dealing with dysthymia and major depression since I was about 12. The problem is that I didn't know it and was not diagnosed until my 40s. One of the things I strongly suggest is having a talk with the Beyond Blue Helpline about what you are experiencing. Or failing that, have a talk with your GP about it. We cannot diagnose on the forum but we are here to support you when you need it. Many of the thoughts and feelings you describe are quite common and feel very real to you, but what I would like you to think about is where they came from. We are not born with feelings of worthlessness, uselessness, despair etc. so if we have them now, we most likely learned them from the words or actions of others (family, teachers, friends, religion, etc.). My advice is to start questioning those thoughts and feelings as they come up and decide if they are your own or someone else's, how true are they in this moment? You say you are mostly ok at work so you cannot be worthless or useless or you would not keep your job. That is just one example of what am talking about. It took me years to realise how much of everyone else's beliefs I was living by, we learn from a young age how to act and when something is unacceptable to those we love and depend on, we bury it, and ignore that part of ourselves as if it is something to be ashamed of. It is perfectly ok to ask for help, more than that, it is the first step in learning to love yourself because the truth is that you are every bit as important as every other person on the planet, you have just forgotten that.

I hope this has in some way helped you both. Please feel free to post as often as you wish, we will be here, you are not alone.

indigo22

distractedsquirell
Community Member

Hi Roscoe_

New here and browsing all the many MANY discussions and topics. It's actually overwhelming how many people are out there suffering in so many ways.  Safe to say I, and yourself, are not alone in that.

I get a little how you feel about struggling on weekends. I do most things solo too, even though I have family and friends I could include I dont. Work, people are busy, might just be partial excuses I tell myself anyway. I become split between wanting company, but also wanting to be left alone.  - not sure how to win that one!

Thanks for reaching out I enjoyed reading your post as it resonated with me. Hopefully reading this and others you can feel not so alone too 🙂 

Itzwend
Community Member

Hi 😊 I know how you feel. Reading your post was like explaining exactly how I feel! I hear ya! It's hard and some people just don't understand which makes me feel lonelier.... I'm trying to be social and find groups to share with but none exist where I am 😨