FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Daily struggles of mental illness

Panda912
Community Member
Hello, I'm 27 and have been suffering from anxiety and depression for most of my life but the last 4 years have been the worst.

I also have some level of PTSD from childhood trauma. I have seen psychologists and psychiatrists. I am medicated however still struggle daily. I can barely work, I'm antisocial and indifferent. (I used to be bubbly)

My whole body hurts, headaches, back pain, leg aches etc.
My medication isn't controlling my symptoms, and I have tried many types.

Constant symptoms daily are too much to handle. I need help or guidance on how to improve my quality of life.
3 Replies 3

PamelaR
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Panda

Very warm welcome to you. I'm pleased you've found your way to our community.

PTSD, anxiety and depression are debilitating Panda. The constant anxiety, depression, triggers and the subsequent behaviours that go with that - being antisocial, indifferent make life so difficult. It's great you have seen psychologists and psychiatrists. Are you seeing anyone at the moment?

I understand completely about the aching body, head, back and legs. For many years I thought I had chronic fatigue or blamed it on having had Ross River Virus (doctors couldn't find anything wrong with me), but now 20 years on and only being diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety and depression 10 years ago I now realise most of this aching is associated with my mental health.

The healing and recovery process takes time. Medication and therapy are just part of the process. There is a lot of self help I had to do. Like - mindfulness, acupuncture, hypnotherapy, reiki. All these things to heal my hurting body, not just my mind.

You talk of being bubbly. I'm sure you can be that way again. As you heal, as you shed the feelings of guilt, shame, anger, and hurt to your body - you'll find your laughter. I did.

Do you know of the Blue Knot Foundation? It's an organisation established to help adult survivors of childhood trauma. There website is - https://www.blueknot.org.au

Also, there are a number of books available about having the courage to heal. These books are extremely useful. One such book is by Laura Davis - The Courage to Heal Workbook.

Feel free to share more of your story, if you want to. No pressure. Also, I'd be interested in knowing how you felt after you posted.

Kind regards

PamelaR

Panda912
Community Member
Hi Pamela,

Thankyou for your kind and reassuring words.

I am currently seeing a psychologist however my GP recommended I find a new one as I neither see or feel any benefit or point to seeing him. All he seemed to do was tell me I'm fine and a good person, but I wouldn't be seeing him for help if I was fine. But now I don't know where to start looking for a new one.

I had a look at the website you recommended and will look into it further.

My biggest problem is that I know my mental health is causing all of my ailments however I can't get out of the circle. And the more I think about it, I have been suffering my whole life and it has increasingly become worse with time. Even with seeking help I've found no control over my mental health. It consumes me.

As for how I felt after posting, to be honest I'm used to dead ends and that's what I was expecting (but hoping otherwise)

Kind regards

Hi Panda,

Welcome to the community here. I see that PamelaR has responded to you with a lovely message, encouragement and a few ideas that may well help you.

As a person that has felt stuck many times due to my depression and other mental health issues, I understand that feeling of inability to get out of the cycle.

To do so, I have to push and encourage myself some days, find things that do work.

Exercise and activities are usually deemed as being beneficial. Can you encourage yourself to go for a walk, even if you start with once a week.

Are there activities you do enjoy or have enjoyed in the past? Can you try and re=establish some of these into your life?

Is there one thing you can do today to help you feel better about your life?

Negatives can so easily fill our minds. Maybe if you try and think of one thing to be thankful each day, then try and increase that number when possible. It is something I need to consider myself today.

Wishing you all the best. Cheers from Dools