FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping with Depression

Shanthan
Community Member

Hello,

My name is Shanthan. I'm currently living in Victoria. Six months ago, I was diagnosed with Severe Anxiety and Depression. Since then, I have tried to fight my disorder by choosing all the wrong paths, such as Alcohol abuse. I only did it as I couldn't afford therapy. Eventually, I became an addict, which gave me a new reason to hate myself. I'm trying to take everything step by step and make myself do better.

This issue is global, but we should spread a lot of awareness. Every person I tried to explain my situation has not taken it seriously. I can't blame them as they have no idea what it feels like, or maybe they do, but they are good at creating walls to avoid opening up. I suggest anyone going through with this take action towards your health first instead of focusing on losing something else.

Thank you.

10 Replies 10

Bob_22
Community Member

Hi Shanthan,

Thank you for your story. I have close family who have succumbed to alcohol use issues as a result of trying to find coping mechanisms. I'm sorry you had to go through that on your own. You sound very strong and kindhearted. I hope you can use your journey to reach others. People here are happy to listen.

Bob

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Shanthan,

Welcome to the forum.

What a strong voice!

Our way of recovery is full of various challenge, nobody is perfect, you're doing really good, with great courage and determination. I really respect that. Don't hate yourself, instead, you should be proud of yourself for your determination and continuous efforts.

When you share your story and finding, maybe some people are not listening, it's ok cause we never know what really happen to them, we can't imagine how struggling they are. However there must be some people feeling inspired and encouraged.

So do not hesitate to ask for help or share here. Every effort you make is meaningful and worthwhile

Mark

Shanthan
Community Member
Thank you for your kind words.

Shanthan
Community Member
Thank you for your kind words. I hope to get better, but it's hard. I appreciate people listening and responding with motivation.

Mrs Bean
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Shanthan,

Thank you so much for your post and for opening up about what you have been through and the difficulties you are facing now, especially with being understood and appreciated for what you are trying to make happen for yourself.

I too suffer from both anxiety and depression, and am overwhelmed at times as to why it keeps happening to me. I too find that my words are not taken seriously or believed, as to the people around me I think it is too strange for them to understand.

O know how unhelpful and disruptive and exasperating life can feel and be, without even adding the compulsory things like working, housework and taking care through exercise, mediation etc.

Its funny how sometimes you hear a song on the radio or Itunes etc, and you feel like it was written just for you. Like the artist understands the situation. You are not alone, you just don’t have the right people to talk to about your specific problems and issues, when you need to and are trying to seek help.

There is a lot to loose due to I’ll heath I agree.. I moved in with a family while my husband and I were moving house, and I found it so stressful my hair started thinning out quite a bit about 3 months later. I still get a prickly head when I get stressed and it worries me. I have now found a scalp brush to stimulate blood flow to my head and it feels great health-wise.

Therapy is expensive I agree if you don’t have a work EAP Program or need someone with a specific skills set. I the a GP can recommend services completely or at least covered under Medicare when you sign up for a Mental Health Care Plan - well worth doing.

Aside from that there are some great resources online. I think the ANU had a really good web-based program that I found very useful - I will try and find it.

Wishing you the very best Shanthan and keep being open and communicating about your needs 👍

Kind regards,

Mrs Bean

Mark Z.
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Shanthan,

Some supporting resources are free or affordable, I'd encourage you to have a call to beyond blue hotline, maybe you'll have some new finding.

Mark

Hey Mrs Bean,

I'm sorry to hear that you are going through the same. I appreciate your help and kind words. I started posting threads whenever I felt down, and my mind ran into a dark world where 1000 thoughts surrounded me at once without any warning.

It feels like I took life for granted and don't care, but I know that I do.

Anyways, I hope you feel better and wish you good.

Thanks.

Shanthan
Community Member

I never thought of that. I will try it.

Thanks, Mark Z.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hey Shanthan,

sorry to read about the issues you have been having in talking about your experiences. And it is hard for those who have not been in the same position as us to know what it can feel like. I don't know how you are traveling at the moment and hope you are ok. And if it helps for you to share your story here, please continue to write. While those in the outside world might not understand, we do...