FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Continuing Moving Forward at a Snails Pace 🐌

Still_at_it
Community Member

Hello All, I'm new here, rather nervous, and cautious. Don't know what to say in my introduction without feeling foolish. I had read interesting things, sad things too. I'm an older person well up in years yet always have a young at heart outlook in life. I suffer PTST, anxiety and depression for almost 50 years. Am on meds, have professional counselling, so on. I'm on these forums as I'm a great believer that we all can learn from each other: older, oldies and elderlies can learn much from the younger generation and visa vversa. Just saying "Hello" to All

13 Replies 13

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Still at it's, welcome to the forums, I'm also elderly, I'm 67 and yes we always learn from the younger generation just as others did when we were young, but being elderly there is much we have been through that we certainly hope our younger ones don't have to experience, although with each generation our circumstances can be totally different.

You should never ever feel foolish, each and every one of us has our own claim in life, whether or not other people agree is only up to their discretion.

What happened to us many years ago may have changed in certain ways, but the principle is basically the same, but now it is different because this can be spoken about freely whereas years ago you were frightened to even mention it.

Pleased you have joined.

Geoff.

Thank you for kind reply Geoff. Very well put all in a nutshell. Agreed wholly 100% with everything you wrote and especially with your last paragraph. In our day it was a taboo topic to even bring up let alone being discussed making the victim feel they were at fault. We and the other Golden Oldies on the Forums have much to contribute to the younger generation, that experience in our lives came over time and endurance whereas the younger generation also can come with view points that can be taken from another angle of understanding. I'm still well up in years from you Geoff, but that shouldn't make any difference as we're All equals on the forums with the intent to help and to be helped. Thank you again for your warm welcome 😊

Hello Still at it's, yes now we do need the younger ones because eventually they will take over from you and me and want to help others, although this already happens, just as we try and assist them, everybody has a different opinion as well as a solution.

I've been on this site for 20 years, seen many people come and go and experienced a great deal of positives as well as negatives, that's part of life I accept.

My Dad was a GP but I never discussed any topics concerning this or how I was feeling, you weren't sure whether you'd be believed, so it was always a sensitive topic and told just to get on with it.

Sometimes it's not easy to try and convince the younger ones or even the older people to believe what you are saying can help them, until they have experienced it themselves, but we do the best we can.

At least the younger ones can remember what we can't. lol

Geoff.

Hello Geoff. Nice meeting you and from I've read a in couple of posts you're a sensitive caring older one with much experience to contribute. Twenty years on this site, wow, that's commendable on your part to share about your self to others and help others where can. Congratulations for your fine work 👏

Not having a verygood day today. Still have my mind set on full of good optimistic ideas, unfortunately my body tells me another thing. Am a bit low today. Don't nothing all week and it s big to keep going. Anxiety Depression has taken away all my energy. Late hot summer in autumn with a drastic cold change overnight. No weather stability, affects my moods,

Hope you a good day

Hello I'm not even sure myself today why I went on the forums. Was more optimistic last night, now, an entirely different. Felt low today, tired, legs all stiff and sore, mobility almost non existent no motivation to do anything.

Hello Still at it.

I saw you on another thead, a word game thread. Lately I'm not managing much more than the word games, & a couple other posts.

I am glad to see you here, making an effort to connect & with your understanding that we can learn from each other. I'm a bit younger than Geoff, but no spring chicken.

I've had a difficult past, followed by decade of shoving everything way into the depths of my mind, until I could o longer do that, & had to begin to attend to it all. It's been a long & difficult road, mistakes, & set backs, but hey - we're still here! I like younger people to see we are still here, we do get better, & we have so much to learn along the way, & still more around the corner.

Although you are feeling so low, you still made the effort to talk about how you are feeling. That is worth acknowledging.

You'll find many members have offered their ideas & suggestions for things to do when we arefeeling depressed or anxious, when the past takes hold & won't let go.

Lately, I am enjoying baking bikkies, which make my flat smell so warm & cosy, I am finding it is quite comforting.

May I ask, what things do you do to help yourself through these low periods? Do you have a 'go to' list so you don't have to think too much, but just know these things may help?

I hope to talk more soon.😸

mmMekitty

Hello Still at it, people who are perplexed about what they should do and feeling down, can suddenly just want to come to a site that has been well advertised and read how other people not only feel but what they are suffering from out of curiosity, sometimes it helps them, and on other occasions, they wonder why they are feeling so low when others seem to have it far worse, but what you can't deny yourself, is that you aren't feeling well and haven't been for a period of time.

Time passes and mentally you may take notes, which may or may not help but hopefully, we learn from what others have to say and then try and cope with our situation in a similar way.

I am please you have joined the site.

Geoff.

Hello Geoff, thank you for your warm once again. I didn't just suddenly decide to join the forums. It was a choice I had made in my own due time. I've noticed many are very open about expressing their sad difficult past experiences without hesitation, then there's those who are a bit more reserved of much they like to disclose of themselves. No rules, only disclose as one wishes when feeling comfortable and ready. None of us on these forums can really compare ourselves with the next person as each individual's traumas and struggles are equally important to them. What may be not so difficult for one person to deal with is extremely difficult for another.. yes, I had a downer, so I decided to express it. And No I didn't compare myself with anyone that I will answer soon with mmMekitty. Feel free to join as both of your posts are invaluable. Take care

Hello mmMekitty, thank you for your warm welcome too. Sorry I didn't answer as planned. I had written a lengthy post unfortunately the forums didn't process it as I was over the amount of characters allowed. I did go into more detail with you. As it took me such a long time to write ✍ this letter, I was too exhausted to re edit again.. lovely to know with all your struggles you're still here it takes endurance to face hardships that our younger generation need to acquire. Many have already endured so much and that's sad. I really feel they are actually suffering more in their young years than we were at their ages. Times has changed so dramatically that they feel they have little hope or anything to look forward too And, No, I don't have a "to go"list. Baking bikkies sounds yummy and does re direct your thoughts onto something else. To re direct my thoughts I usually listen to positive talks a collection I've made up myself over the last 7 decades. It helps me as well as others to recognise our worthiness in life. i love people and have much time for the younger generation by listening to them as they they too need an outlet as we all do, just as we do on the forums. Now it's my turn. Enjoy Life no matter how difficult it gets. Take care