FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Changes to moderation policies: no more face pics in profile images

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Hi everyone,

The beyondblue forums are an anonymous space where we discourage the sharing of any information that may personally identify you to someone reading.

These forums are public, searchable and indexed by Google, so we ask people to consider their words and think about the level of detail they are sharing with the world before hitting 'post'.

Up until now, we have allowed the use of profile pictures that depict a member's face, but after feedback from the community we have decided to change this policy in order to keep our message about anonymity on the forums consistent.

From today, our moderators will no longer approve the use of profile picture images that clearly depict your face.

If you already have a face picture displayed on your profile, we won't be removing it, but would ask you to have a think about the privacy implications of having your face on display in connection with other personal detail you may be sharing in your posts here.

This thread will also serve as a runnning discussion around how to protect your privacy and anonymity on the forums.

Feedback is welcome.
40 Replies 40

startingnew
Community Member

I think this is a great idea Chris. Good way to keep it more annonymous and also safe

less_than_human
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
I'll change my pic immediately, because any one who knows me, knows I'm a giant domesticated kitty cat.

Robbie_A
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Makes complete sense, and it's a great idea to keep it safe for the community which is an anonymous forum also..

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

I had a picture of me and my dog for a week and then realized I shouldn't have that clear a picture of myself up on these forums. I understand some people may not like this, but as a general rule for privacy and protecting users I think this is a good decision.

Now I need to try find another purple face if I want to change my profile picture. To go with the purple theme 🙂

stevexr
Community Member
hello, this post is to the moderators I have been trying to put a pic as my profile it is a little (stick figure) dog sticker on the mud guard of my bike there is no personal info in the pic just the generic manufacturers warning labels that are on all these bikes. I could not find another way of asking if or why it has been denied or if that is even the case. I have tried twice now so I am guessing there is some thing wrong with my pic?? if this is the case and my pic is no good can you please let me know why so I can try to rectify this problem. I like this little dog a lot and would like to have it as my pic. I have checked my e mail in all folders and have not been told if I can or cant have my pic. thanks in advance for a reply...... hello

Hi stevexr, we would email you if we were unable to approve a profile picture, so not sure what has happened. We only received it once and it has been approved this morning. You should be able to see it on your profile now.

stevexr
Community Member

hello, to sophie_m thank you it has come up now. I didn't know what was going on?? if it was rejected would I have got an e mail to say so??? I am very confused with this site and have been having trouble finding my way around so far. I guess il get there eventually. he is my security dog to scare away the thieves (giggle)

thank you for replying I hope you are well.... hello

stevexr
Community Member

hello, sorry mis read you do send an e mail if it is no good. (face palm) silly me.

sorry again....... hello

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
hello Sophie_M, I think that I will leave my picture on it's been there for 14 years, although it has changed over the years and hope that I am allowed to change it in the future because I have been thinking of changing it soon. Thanks Geoff.