Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

SubduedBlues Can one have too much BeyondBlue?
  • replies: 18

I've been noticing of late, that I am devoting a lot of my time to the BeyondBlue forum. It is the first thing I check when I get up in the morning, and the last thing I do before I go to sleep. I wonder: can someone have too much BeyondBlue? Ps: I a... View more

I've been noticing of late, that I am devoting a lot of my time to the BeyondBlue forum. It is the first thing I check when I get up in the morning, and the last thing I do before I go to sleep. I wonder: can someone have too much BeyondBlue? Ps: I also check it on my mobile whenever I get a free moment.

HelenM Just to say thanks.
  • replies: 2

I would like to thank BB for sending me an e mail regarding the thread about Robin Williams. I appreciate your reminder of support. I am very sensitive to the topic of suicide and it's comforting to know I matter to the Forum Best Wishes to all, Hele... View more

I would like to thank BB for sending me an e mail regarding the thread about Robin Williams. I appreciate your reminder of support. I am very sensitive to the topic of suicide and it's comforting to know I matter to the Forum Best Wishes to all, Helen

Soul Reading Writing And Arithmatic
  • replies: 1

HelloI'm SoulI'm new to BeyondbluePlease make me feel welcome RegardsSoul saying hi

HelloI'm SoulI'm new to BeyondbluePlease make me feel welcome RegardsSoul saying hi

Vegetarian Marshmallow Feature idea: tab that lists threads by number of replies (least replies first)?

I think that would help ensure posts don't fall through the cracks without getting replies, or perhaps only one or two replies that aren't constructive. I don't come on here very often anymore, but when I do I usually go by the "New Posts" tab and sc... View more

I think that would help ensure posts don't fall through the cracks without getting replies, or perhaps only one or two replies that aren't constructive. I don't come on here very often anymore, but when I do I usually go by the "New Posts" tab and scan for threads with a small number of replies, for the aforementioned reason, and also because I don't think I have the time to invest in the very large threads with lots of replies.

BeeGee Post has vanished - what happened?

I posted a lengthy reply in the "Supporting family and friends" forum a couple of days ago in response to a cry for help in the "Desperately Seeking Answers!" thread. It was quite a dense post so I understand that it may take a while for moderation. ... View more

I posted a lengthy reply in the "Supporting family and friends" forum a couple of days ago in response to a cry for help in the "Desperately Seeking Answers!" thread. It was quite a dense post so I understand that it may take a while for moderation. I reposted a placeholder the next day since my post hadn't appeared so that the OP didn't feel ignored but there was some really useful information (IMO anyway!) in my original post that would be a shame to lose. I've had no email that my post was not able to be published or required editing - it just seems to have gone into a black hole. My session had not timed out, so that's not it either. What's the story? It's a bit demoralising to spend so long writing thoughtful replies and then have them vanish into thin air without explanation. If there's a problem with my post I'd appreciate being told what it is so I can avoid that in future. On a different but related note it would be helpful if, when mods move a thread to a new forum, that posters are advised by email. I was getting very frustrated that threads I'd posted to were disappearing, until I read someone else's tip about checking "My posts" to find them (which, by the way, does not appear anywhere except the main forum page - a UI inconsistency that needs addressing).

White_Rose Posts not showing properly
  • replies: 4

Hello BB Under "Depression" the post "It all gets too much" does not not show up when I click on it. Instead it goes to "Anxiety" "Not really know where to start"Can you fix it please? LING

Hello BB Under "Depression" the post "It all gets too much" does not not show up when I click on it. Instead it goes to "Anxiety" "Not really know where to start"Can you fix it please? LING

Struggler Twitter Followers

Hi Christopher I'm pretty active on Twitter and notice BB don't follow back. I never follow anyone who doesn't follow back. I followed Kevin Rudd & even he followed me back. For BB to reach more people, it must follow back, just saying. Hope you don'... View more

Hi Christopher I'm pretty active on Twitter and notice BB don't follow back. I never follow anyone who doesn't follow back. I followed Kevin Rudd & even he followed me back. For BB to reach more people, it must follow back, just saying. Hope you don't mind me being direct. Struggler

MrsCam my threads have disappeared??
  • replies: 2

does anyone know why 2 of my threads would have disappeared?? one was in the depression forum and had been active for a bit over a week, the other was in the other conditions forum and I just started it last night... now I cant find either of them an... View more

does anyone know why 2 of my threads would have disappeared?? one was in the depression forum and had been active for a bit over a week, the other was in the other conditions forum and I just started it last night... now I cant find either of them anyone have any ideas???,

hugomax Hi Just joined. Here's my intro ....
  • replies: 5

Hi My name is Mark. I am 44 years old and originally from the UK. I have recently moved to Perth after living 15 years in Sydney. I use to be a corporate high flying project manager. And now I am not. In 2006 and had a motorbike accident in the UK wh... View more

Hi My name is Mark. I am 44 years old and originally from the UK. I have recently moved to Perth after living 15 years in Sydney. I use to be a corporate high flying project manager. And now I am not. In 2006 and had a motorbike accident in the UK which broke my leg and started a chain of circumstances which lead to me being diagnosed with major depression. After a period of denial and some extensive psychological testing I finally accepted I had depression and started taking a low dose of anti-depressants. I didnt like the side effects and hated the stigma of taking the drugs. After 8 weeks I took myself off of them and reverted to natural remedies of St Johns Wart, omega 3 and exercise. One day the black fog in my mind lifted and I thought the whole episode was behind me and I could move on with my life. I went back to my job thinking I could pick up from where I left off. But I wasnt the same person. My memory, my cognitive functions, my intellect where a faction of what they were. So now after a couple of disastrous work contracts and a couple of failed business attempts my career is in ruins and I need to reinvent myself. I also have to accept that I have never beaten the depression I have just managed it. And managed it badly. I would say I have mild to moderate depression now but I miss having the fully functioning brain I use to have. So following doctors advise, tomorrow I start again on anti-depressants but this time it will a higher dosage and a sustained period of at least 9 months on them. I want my brain working again. I hope I can give and receive support during this time Thanks Mark

star pup A super long introduction!

Things have been a little rough for me of late, and over the last two weeks things are just seeming to go downhill. A little over a week ago my good friend and his partner sat down with me as they had mentioned they have become concerned recently and... View more

Things have been a little rough for me of late, and over the last two weeks things are just seeming to go downhill. A little over a week ago my good friend and his partner sat down with me as they had mentioned they have become concerned recently and have noticed changes in mood, and things I usually do. Its good that they did, because that is what prompted me to come here, otherwise I may not of taken this step had they not bought it up with me! So far I have organised for a few pamphlets to be sent to me so I can read up on things a bit further, as I don't think I would be confident just yet speaking to a gp about this (my old gp is in my home town and I haven't actually seen one since I moved here which makes me a little more hesitant as I would be talking to a stranger) I must admit over the last few months my mood and outlook and a few other things have changed dramatically, i have become more distant towards my friends and my partner, i haven't gone out and done the activities that i would usually do in my spare time, my yard and garden are slowly turning into the jungle they once were, i haven't gone out to play with my r.c cars in almost 3 months, an activity which i would usually do a few times weekly. I just don't seem to have patience lately and i have found myself getting increasingly frustrated with things to the point i have many times gone out and driven so i can be alone when i know i shouldn't even be behind the wheel. As i mentioned i have become a little more distanced from my usual routines, family and friends, i have also found myself spending more time away from home going for drives and finding quiet places to sit and be alone, even my publican popped in to my house last week knowing i wasn't working and had a chat to me about my changes that he had noticed, we have been good friends for a while as well. Anyway few weeks ago i left my old casual job i have been doing since the start of this year to get back into the industry i originally worked in and i love, nursery/horticulture. My last job in the industry finished 8 years ago due to the drought and since then i have always dreamed of returning. Monday was my first day at my new full time nursery job, awesome place, awesome people, super close to home as well, however, even this just doesn't seem right/satisfying anymore. This is what has really made it obvious to me in the last 6 days that things are not right. Anyway I'm running out of space now, Thanks for reading! Star pup.