Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

TrueTransSoulRebel Hello.
  • replies: 7

Hello. I'm Veronica. Transgender. She/her/hers/they/them/theirs pronouns. I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello.

Hello. I'm Veronica. Transgender. She/her/hers/they/them/theirs pronouns. I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hello.

21_kat_louise Hi, I'm new here
  • replies: 2

Hi i'm Kat, i'm in my early adult years and suffer from Anxiety and Depression and some PTSD and i have done for 8 years now, since I was 13. It started from bulling at High School. I had to drop out of school after grade 10 and started to try other ... View more

Hi i'm Kat, i'm in my early adult years and suffer from Anxiety and Depression and some PTSD and i have done for 8 years now, since I was 13. It started from bulling at High School. I had to drop out of school after grade 10 and started to try other things such as home school/ getting a full time job. I was doing a lot better until my Grandmother who I was extremely close to passed away suddenly last December. Since then I have just gotten worse and it is affecting every aspect of my life. I have been at my job for almost 2 years now but I have had so much time off this year due to my mental health issues, which now means that I am struggling to pay off my car, my phone bill, do things with friends and do activities that I enjoy, which in turn makes me even more anxious and upset to think about what I am going to do. Currently I am trying to find a job that I can do from home so that even on days that I can't leave the house/ be around people, I am still able to earn money and work. Thank you for listening Beyond Blue Community

Rosie72 Newbie
  • replies: 1

I am nearly 43 and and suffered with depression on and off for years. Right at this point in time I feel like I am quite literally losing my mind. From the outside I have a great life, good husband, 2 beautiful girls, new puppy, beautiful house, secu... View more

I am nearly 43 and and suffered with depression on and off for years. Right at this point in time I feel like I am quite literally losing my mind. From the outside I have a great life, good husband, 2 beautiful girls, new puppy, beautiful house, secure job, wonderful friends and yet I feel cranky most if not all of the time, am ridiculously over sensitive, disconnected and for the past week have not stopped crying. I just made an appointment to see my doctor tomorrow - not sure if I'm depressed or if this is early onset menopause.....god if it isn't, i pray for the people who have to deal with me when that kicks in!!!! I have been on antidepressants before, however gained weight which I haven't been able to lose, which in turn affected how I felt about myself, which in turn made the depression worse. Not sure what to do to be honest, but I know I can't live like this anymore. Just about to have a conversation about it with my poor and long suffering husband.....wish me luck!

Essgee New to this forum and don't know which category to post my experience in...
  • replies: 3

I've been suffering chronic over thinking and over analysing for over 10 years and need to get it sorted as it's having a devastating effect. I want to share my experience and hopefully get some advise on it, but don't know which category to post it ... View more

I've been suffering chronic over thinking and over analysing for over 10 years and need to get it sorted as it's having a devastating effect. I want to share my experience and hopefully get some advise on it, but don't know which category to post it under - I experience anxiety, panic and depression because of it.

Kezzie Successful and worth knowing about -Groups to attend - Focussing on overcoming Anxiety

ANXIETY!! Social Anxiety, in particular... **I'm Looking for a group (small group? lol) South of river, free if possible? ..where people/ me with anxiety can attend and get something positive to walk away with. Not online, but in Actual Person in the... View more

ANXIETY!! Social Anxiety, in particular... **I'm Looking for a group (small group? lol) South of river, free if possible? ..where people/ me with anxiety can attend and get something positive to walk away with. Not online, but in Actual Person in the real world. Having anxiety , for me I think, I've got a "pretty good handle" on things... because I'm honest with myself and have a chosen select few family members I can be honest with and talk to! so vital, when you suffer from anxiety. I do the basic stuff (eg: exercise!!!, cut out stimulants ie. coffee, tea, cigarettes, breathing techniques, yoga/ meditation etc, healthy diet..I recommend doing this, it helps me) regularly, which has a positive effect on me, compared to my past (I don't take medication and I look at natural approaches always to my health, I believe in it!) **That being said, although, I have support from family and do everything I can, I still would like to be informed about places/ groups to attend...where I can be around other people "who ACTUALLY" Know what it is like to have anxiety (& everything that goes with it: social anxiety, panic attacks, depression ) and learn/ listen/ maybe even talk (wouldn't that be good?)... how other people deal with this.. I feel like it could be an effective way to learn and maybe even overcome this annoying problem. Thanks peace!

GuardianMike Good morning!

Hi guys, my name is Michael. I'm 24, from Perth. I spent a long time in a mentally and emotionally debilitating depression, the long-term effects of which I'm still battling to overcome. In June I was made redundant from my job, and decided to choose... View more

Hi guys, my name is Michael. I'm 24, from Perth. I spent a long time in a mentally and emotionally debilitating depression, the long-term effects of which I'm still battling to overcome. In June I was made redundant from my job, and decided to choose a new path, a satisfying one where I can do some good for people. Next year I start a degree in counseling, but in the meantime I want to learn more. Not only about others, but myself. I want to connect with people, both supporters and sufferers, and learn whatever I can to be a better friend and counselor. Please feel free to hit me up if you want to chat, or ask questions or whatever. You'll see me around the forums.

MickeyD Hey Ya'll. :D New comer here!

Hey everyone. Thought I would post a little something to get started. As someone who has experienced both depression and severe anxiety amongst a few other things, I'm excited to explore beyond Blue as well as get involved wherever I can. For me it’s... View more

Hey everyone. Thought I would post a little something to get started. As someone who has experienced both depression and severe anxiety amongst a few other things, I'm excited to explore beyond Blue as well as get involved wherever I can. For me it’s been a bumpy journey but I am someone who miraculously came out on the other side and I did it alone. This was a sub-conscious knowing inside myself that even though the feelings and thoughts were unbearable at times, giving up was not an option. I knew without knowing (and I know that doesn't make much sense) that my life had a purpose and MY BEING deserved as much love and respect as ANYONE on this planet. There was a warrior inside of me that ALWAYS existed, but because of society and my surroundings, that warrior was ignored. I won’t say that I still don't have challenging days, I'm human. However, due to my own heart aching for justice certain things took place that finally put all the pieces of the puzzle together for me. I am now able to turn to that warrior inside of me whenever I need support. I guess what I'm trying to say is regardless of the intensity of your struggles, (and when I say intensity I don't use that word casually. I know what it feels like to want to rip open your own body to breathe. To feel like you’re drowning when other people are around you. To watch as everyone seems to skip through life except you and all you can think about is when will it all end... trust me I know) BUT when you start allowing yourself to listen to that inner warrior, you won’t need to be afraid anymore. You will find that everything you've been searching for is already inside of you. I won’t go into every single detail as much as I would love to, but like I said I'm so excited to be involved and connect with other people to grow, share, and hopefully inspire. I am studying youth work online at the moment and looking for volunteer/placement work within beyond blue, so I'm very excited to keep checking back and see when spots become available. ANYWAY, hope that this is an ok start to my journey with beyond blue. I look forward to chatting with others and meeting some awesome new people. Lots of love. MickeyD

_anon_ Hello?... is this thing on?

Hello all,So this is the first time I have ever written anything about my situation... Or whatever you call it. I guess you could say I've read all the FAQ's, I've seen all of the blog posts. Read a bunch of self help mumbo jumbo and the like and I g... View more

Hello all,So this is the first time I have ever written anything about my situation... Or whatever you call it. I guess you could say I've read all the FAQ's, I've seen all of the blog posts. Read a bunch of self help mumbo jumbo and the like and I guess I'm on here to look for some real world / real life examples of beating depression without all the fluffy meditation / love yourself / change your outlook nonsense which honestly does shit balls for me.I most recently resonated with an article I found on google called "10 signs of walking depression" on one of the many occasions I wake up sit at my home office desk and decide to express my current mood in google search term format.It never helps. Basically I just leave reading things like... "mmmHmmm yup that sounds like me. Man I'm depressed... Oh well I guess that means nothing useful can come of me today" ... and so I do nothing useful... Eat bad, mope about lay around find the odd burst of fleeting motivation after a coffee and then... Nothing again. I've been dealing with depression for a large majority of my life and it came on most noticeably in High School when I would find myself thinking bad thoughts just to make myself feel sad and then would even self harm in a lame attempt to hurt / kill myself without ever having the balls to actually do it.I'm now 30 years old. And on the exterior most would say I'm a smart successful man. I drive a nice car, I live in a nice place, I've got a good corporate career and I'm pretty good at what I do. I don't love it. But I'm good at it. But then again I don't know what I love. I don't think I'd know what I'm passionate about if it came up and bit me on the ass at this stage in my life because everything I thought I "LOVED" or really enjoyed doing just seems ... "meh / kinda fun" now. Anyway I really hoped this wouldn't turn into a rant but it looks like it has. And I guess I already know what will come of the post...I'm expecting a lot of replies or none of similar vain, which I don't know what I'll do with. A lot of .. "I hear ya buddy, but hey just hang in there alright. It gets better.. I've been there... It starts with a smile..." or some BS, that makes me go.. Great I'm not alone, but I'm still broken.I guess I should also add I've gone to therapy which to me was a waste of time and nothing can shake this feeling I wake up with the majority of my days.{C} beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

Choti Hello world!

Hello everyone! Am new here and would love to be a part of the beyondblue community <:-)>

Hello everyone! Am new here and would love to be a part of the beyondblue community <:-)>

Internal_Sadness Newbie here - Why I am like I am.

Reasons why I am depressed - Relationship failures (Big one here is the fact due to no reason at all, my ex refuses to let me and my daughter spend time together), Previous inability to keep a job for long enough time frame. And lastly, due to my ABI... View more

Reasons why I am depressed - Relationship failures (Big one here is the fact due to no reason at all, my ex refuses to let me and my daughter spend time together), Previous inability to keep a job for long enough time frame. And lastly, due to my ABI I suffered in February 2012 from a fall. When I get down, I drink alcohol and tend to snuggle up to comfort foods. Majority of the time these things are impossible to speak about with your family and closest friends, that 1 person that always knew what to say and make you feel better turns out to be a compulsive liar all for money. That 1 person was my massage therapist, I fell for her, only ended up wanting to be friend with her though. Tough ask I know therapist and client. Overall in the 11 months I booked her, just over $9,000 was spent on bookings and gifts. Weekly bookings. These days I try to find things that make me happy and I do them but more times than not i have far too much spare time on my hands, I over think things. I'm 39 and love sport, massages (lol) spending money when I have it on clothes, things on kogan, and when I feel iffy, I spend the money on junk food/drink. No wonder I find it difficult to lose weight especially when I am feeling down. I also like to take it easy, long warm showers, sometimes sleep in, that afternoon nap on cold days watching foxtel with my electric blanket on is damn fine ha ha. Well I am here now. I will post once in a while, so HELLO!.