Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Doglover2 Lost Newbie
  • replies: 1

can't work out if there are several forums under different topics or does everything go to this one? Feeling daunted at finally making the effort to find out what's available online without having to fight my way through page after page which doesn't... View more

can't work out if there are several forums under different topics or does everything go to this one? Feeling daunted at finally making the effort to find out what's available online without having to fight my way through page after page which doesn't seem quite relevant. Also feel very relucant to express my negative feelings as it's so 'not OK' in daily social contact. All too easy to just give up, log out & foget about it.

Bluey_moon New to beyond blue
  • replies: 2

Hi I am probably doing this the wrong way around, as I have already posted a few days ago. But I want to introduce myself. I am a wife to a very supportive husband and a mother to two beautiful children and a fur baby. I am a great friend and a hard ... View more

Hi I am probably doing this the wrong way around, as I have already posted a few days ago. But I want to introduce myself. I am a wife to a very supportive husband and a mother to two beautiful children and a fur baby. I am a great friend and a hard worker. I Also have been diagnosed with GAD with some OCD traits. This diagnosis is relatively new, the OCD part anyway, it was about 5 years ago it was GAD. Mostly I worry about illnesses, either for myself or the children. This time I convinced myself I was schizophrenic (even though my Gp, the psychiatrist and the psycologist said I wasnt, that they'd put a million dollars on it). I read all about it and convince myself I had the symptoms, and to be really honest a small part of me still worries, every time I feel nervous, paranoid ect. Last time it was MS. So there it is, laid bare.

Nessie08 Trouble with chat

Hi I am new here and I am trying to get on the online chat. I have tried many times but it says unable to connect to server. I have cookies, java allowed so I'm not sure why it's doing it. Please help.

Hi I am new here and I am trying to get on the online chat. I have tried many times but it says unable to connect to server. I have cookies, java allowed so I'm not sure why it's doing it. Please help.

Blue_Dog Finding the courage to speak out

My name is Kat and it is my first time to this forum. I am not good at talking face to face about my disorder to anyone as it is too overwhelming to be summed up in a few words, not to mention impossible to explain to someone when you don't fully und... View more

My name is Kat and it is my first time to this forum. I am not good at talking face to face about my disorder to anyone as it is too overwhelming to be summed up in a few words, not to mention impossible to explain to someone when you don't fully understand it yourself. I have suffered depression/anxiety for many years, but have just lately started on a real downward spiral and feeling at a total loss, so while introducing myself to the members here, I would also like to thank you all for being brave enough to speak out as you have so people like me can read here, feel a little less alone. I will hopefully find the courage (and the words) to contribute to this forum soon, but until I do, just reading has been a big help, so thank you.

JCogz Hello and Hi

Hi there. Today marks an important day for me. After having one of the Beyond Blue volunteers come to my workplace yesterday to speak on his journey, I walked out of the presentation and realised I needed help. Interestingly enough, I've been down th... View more

Hi there. Today marks an important day for me. After having one of the Beyond Blue volunteers come to my workplace yesterday to speak on his journey, I walked out of the presentation and realised I needed help. Interestingly enough, I've been down this path before. I've had my mental health plan, visits to the GP, psychologists sessions and have even tried medication. In the end, I ditched the medication and made a major lifestyle change, including a new job. Things still aren't 'perfect' and over the last month or so, I've realised I still have a while to go before I can manage my anxiety and depression and hopefully rid myself of that gut wrenching feeling on a daily basis. I'm looking forward to my psychologist session tomorrow. The thought of talking about everything, already makes me feel better. I know its a step in the right direction.

Julchen Mature thinker joins the crowd

Hello! With a lifetime of experiences I hope to be of use in these forums and also get some help myself. I am a single female of 63 years of age and was forced out of my job as Nursing Assistant through a work-related accident 5 years ago with still ... View more

Hello! With a lifetime of experiences I hope to be of use in these forums and also get some help myself. I am a single female of 63 years of age and was forced out of my job as Nursing Assistant through a work-related accident 5 years ago with still 1 1/2 years to go now until retirement. There are lots of ups and downs in coping with my situation, sometimes the loneliness gets to me, the financial worries and the unfairness of all (not much hope of finding a job when 60 or older). Unfortunately I live semi-rural and transport is often a problem as I am aware of social activities etc. that would help. My Volunteer work with a group in a Nature Reserve maintaining the area, counting Koalas and the morning tee is a welcome change every week. I am computer literate, like browsing and discovering things on the net. I am hoping to find other ways through these forums to "tackle" the increasing stress and perhaps anxiety that keeps building up.

LawrieM A Greying ol' Wombat has entered the fray
  • replies: 3

Hi. Funnily enough, the title was the easy bit. According to the test I took a few hours ago, I am a fair weather traveller with regards to depression, Anxiety and anger, and low for alcohol and drugs, which is good to know. (Smoking doesn't count in... View more

Hi. Funnily enough, the title was the easy bit. According to the test I took a few hours ago, I am a fair weather traveller with regards to depression, Anxiety and anger, and low for alcohol and drugs, which is good to know. (Smoking doesn't count in this case LOL) I know that I am not alone in these and that others are in higher strata, and yes I am still trying to put into words what exactly it is that is/are the causal reasons. Long-term employment, financial stress, home stress (as in I rent and the unit is again for sale and well, the rent is now a pain on a fortnightly basis, but as a loner I don't want to share) and that is probably another part of my 'problem'; I actually LIKE my loner status. It is a freedom but at the same time I am realising that it is also a contributing factor. I am also a (sort of) creature of habit, which means I can be bright and chirpy when dealing with folks I know, and withdraw into my shell as soon as the door is locked behind me. I do volunteer work 3 days a week to keep DSS/Cenrelink/Human Resources happy and yes, I like it and the folks I meet and deal with there, but when I am in a funk (couldn't give a stuff about anything/too lazy to get into even my online game and it is not one of those Facebook thingies) I know that something somewhere is wrong. Besides that, I am your normal Aussie male (as one of the lasses described me one day at the Volunteer place). Love the Rabbitohs, Swannies, Sydney uni or Randwick (depends on who's doing best LOL), the Green and Gold (all four), also Green Bay Packers (curse you Denver). Balding, loss of muscle tone.. you know, all the things ya gets once ya hits 60. I'll probably add stuff as I go on, but methinks that'll do for now.

Goanna hi im new to this site, my feelings have brought me here.

hi there. i am currently going through some depression. i decided to go on this site to speak to people with similar experiences. i am hoping to learn how to deal with things better. i have been dealing with depression on and off for 26 years, and st... View more

hi there. i am currently going through some depression. i decided to go on this site to speak to people with similar experiences. i am hoping to learn how to deal with things better. i have been dealing with depression on and off for 26 years, and still have no magical cure lol would love to hear from anyone who has some good advice on how to deal with getting upset with family, friends, and work-mates when they let you down. also interested to hear from anyone who has kicked a poker machine habit and how you did it. look forward to hearing from you