Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

AzureFox21 Newbie - Finally took the plunge and joined BB
  • replies: 7

Hi, I'm not sure where to start exactly! i have been putting this off for awhile. im 32 years old. i have been dealing with anxiety, panic attacks and depression for years but only sought medical help and medication a year ago. Even with the medicati... View more

Hi, I'm not sure where to start exactly! i have been putting this off for awhile. im 32 years old. i have been dealing with anxiety, panic attacks and depression for years but only sought medical help and medication a year ago. Even with the medication i am not coping all that well - one day i will be so happy and the next i can come crashing down, other days i'm just lost. When i have a bad panic attack i cannot stop crying, i start shaking so badly and breathing becomes really hard. Sometimes i get bad thoughts popping into my head out of no-where??!! I would never act on them but they scare me and im scared to tell anyone close about them. I think my job is making me worse, its physically demanding, short on staff all the time and they expect you to work harder to make up for it. always overtime overtime overtime. the over all mentality is if your sick - work thru it. the stress is thru the roof. I wake up tired and in pain every day just to work and return home tired, stressed and in pain. Repeat the next day. I have tried looking for other jobs but i cant even get an interview. a job agency finally contacted me and said they would find me a job but only if i signed up to do an online uni diploma for business . I got excited - signed up and that was the last i heard from them. Then the online uni screwed me over and now (long story short) i have a $20,000 vet- help bill and no diploma and no new job. i had a huge break down after that and used up all my sick leave and work is angry with me. I have just signed up with a place that helps people with depression get jobs and hope they can help me because i feel like i am going to lose it soon and walk out - but i cant afford to do that.

guest_1242 Happy Llama, Sad Llama, Totally Bipolar Llama...
  • replies: 13

Hi all! I'm Alice, ( the darker version of your regular Wonderland variety Alice.) You can all just me Alice, or Ali, etc.. (or 'If you'll be my bodyguard, I can be your long lost pal. I can call you Betty, And Betty when you call me You can call me ... View more

Hi all! I'm Alice, ( the darker version of your regular Wonderland variety Alice.) You can all just me Alice, or Ali, etc.. (or 'If you'll be my bodyguard, I can be your long lost pal. I can call you Betty, And Betty when you call me You can call me Al.') My brain is a combination pinball machine and lyric/ quotation jukebox. A couple of words in the right context and just like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get... I'm a rapid cycling bipolar type 2 with a bunch of comorbid In-App-Purchases attached, and I swing harder than Sia does from a chandelier... I'm broody, moody, depressed, angry,.. ('I'm a sinner, I'm a saint I do not feel ashamed I'm your hell, I'm your dream I'm nothing in between You know you wouldn't want it any other way') Yeah it's gets annoying pretty quickly...you should try it from this end. Guess I'll see you 'round... (Cue Arnold....) Alice.

LilSis New to BB forums
  • replies: 1

Hi Everyone. I've been a longtime supporter of BB but until now have not taken the plunge into these forums myself. I was diagnosed with anxiety approx 3 years ago which was quite a relief as I then received an answer to what was happening & also som... View more

Hi Everyone. I've been a longtime supporter of BB but until now have not taken the plunge into these forums myself. I was diagnosed with anxiety approx 3 years ago which was quite a relief as I then received an answer to what was happening & also some help. During the last year I seem to have had a run of bad luck with my physical health & in turn a lot of time off work which has seen my job performance suffer. Outwardly I'm a very confident & bubbly person but sometimes it's a whole different scenario in my head. I'm doing my best to 'keep going' lately but am really struggling. I try to do all the right things: fresh air, exercise, eat well, rest etc but that old anxiety demon is being very persistent of late. I would be most grateful for any advice or tips to help me through this latest struggle thanks & good wishes to all!

Mumish Newbie to BB but longtime rider of the roller coaster.
  • replies: 12

Hi everyone, My life has been full of twists, turns, happiness but most of all lots of pain and confusion. Never really understanding why I find myself too scared to leave my home for what seem untouchable reasons or trying to sleep the days away so ... View more

Hi everyone, My life has been full of twists, turns, happiness but most of all lots of pain and confusion. Never really understanding why I find myself too scared to leave my home for what seem untouchable reasons or trying to sleep the days away so I don't have to feel them. I see what should be a life to be enjoyed pass me by. I watch others appearing to live happy fulfilling lives with strength and courage and wonder why I am like I am and can't do the same. I have a complex story which may come out here, I'm not sure yet, but my life stories continue to go around and around in my mind while I struggle to make some kind of logical sense of it all and search for how I can get off this roller coaster and leave it all behind and just be normal. More recently I came across articles of children of narcissistic parents and felt it was a mirror image of me. The damage its done to my life pains me, but now I feel I understand myself better and may have found my direction to heal. I guess the positive is I'm having another try at opening a door by being here to help myself. The few threads I've read so far in that section has helped and makes me realize just how many people suffer and why, so maybe my story and involvement can help me and others too

Rence Hi! New here.
  • replies: 1

Hi I'm Lawrence. I guess I only joined this forum for advice and help on how to deal with my girlfriends depression. I really don't know who else to go to so yeah... But other than that nice to meet you guys. (I don't know what else to say there's no... View more

Hi I'm Lawrence. I guess I only joined this forum for advice and help on how to deal with my girlfriends depression. I really don't know who else to go to so yeah... But other than that nice to meet you guys. (I don't know what else to say there's nothing really to tell about myself )

clovia New to BB...first step to recovery i hope
  • replies: 2

Hi all, First time here. I live a very hectic life. I help people with disabilities and injuries enter back into the workforce. its a wonderfull and very fulfilling job. I am a wife of a very loving husband who is on the road to recovery after an acc... View more

Hi all, First time here. I live a very hectic life. I help people with disabilities and injuries enter back into the workforce. its a wonderfull and very fulfilling job. I am a wife of a very loving husband who is on the road to recovery after an accident three years ago and surgery last year. I am a mother to a wonderful fur baby. With all this wonderfulness I am still struggling. I have depression and am angry a lot of the time. I lost my father to Cancer at the beginning of the year and I don't think I am helping my mum and sister much with their new lifes without him. I try to help my husband with his pain and recovery and we have been told by his dr that this could be another 12 months out of work for him..that will make it 4 years now unemployed for him. Some days are harder than the others and the stress of the job doesn't help. Im hoping that I will be able to find the right support and tips/tools here hoping everyone has a fantastic sparkly day as its a bit gloomy outside and in today at my desk Clo

Goose83 New to BB
  • replies: 2

Hi all. I'm 33 years old. I would say i have been fighting my anxieties for at least 3 years. Being male i have ignored my feelings thinking "i'll be alright I'll hey over it" I'm starting to fight a losing battle. Over the last 6 months it's been ge... View more

Hi all. I'm 33 years old. I would say i have been fighting my anxieties for at least 3 years. Being male i have ignored my feelings thinking "i'll be alright I'll hey over it" I'm starting to fight a losing battle. Over the last 6 months it's been getting well out of control. My anxieties toy with my emotions something fierce. I have become very angry all the time not at anybody but more myself. I can't control aggression becoming very short fused. My ability to problem solve has been more reliant on people who work for me. My workers can't find out that I'm suffering. Game face on 95% of the day. Can't relax force myself to play with the kids when i get home from work when all i want to do is come home from work and lie on the couch. My oldest son has aspergers so I'm always conscious of his hightend anxiety levels. My poor wife as said before the last 6 months have been hell. She has been the strong one protecting the kids from my emotions again my game face is on all the time. This year alone we have had 3 deaths in my family within 5 weeks. I have just started my road to recovery i hope, got my second psychologist appointment on Tuesday not on meds yet haven't seen the GP. My fear is once i do start meds and see the GP it becomes real. I don't think I'm ready for that yet

Cocoloco New to Beyond Blue
  • replies: 3

Hello, I've suffered from depression for a few years now and recently been experiencing anxiety attacks. About a year about I experienced some major life changes ... I was in a emotionally abusive relationship with someone i trusted and thought i was... View more

Hello, I've suffered from depression for a few years now and recently been experiencing anxiety attacks. About a year about I experienced some major life changes ... I was in a emotionally abusive relationship with someone i trusted and thought i was going to spend the rest of my life with. I felt stuck in a situation and I didn't know who to turn to or how to escape and i started suffer from major depression and anxiety. I finally had to courage to walk out of that situation and started a new life, which i couldn't of done without the support of my family and friends. Although i now feel free from everything, my past has caused me so much pain i still feel today. I have moments where i want to give up on everything, where i feel like I'm useless. I go to sleep at night wishing i could just escape from everything, and even when I'm surrounded by people that love me, i always feel like I'm alone. It has gotten to the stage where i have isolated myself from my family and friends and i push away the people i love the most. I have very dark days where i shut myself out from everything, i can't even go to work and social events without having major anxiety attacks. I can be sleeping next to someone i love and still cry myself to sleep. I've always struggled to talk about how i feel, even writing this post has taken me a lot of courage. This whole forum thing is very new to me, but i hope to gain help from others who have experienced something similar to myself.

Becka1 was a BB member couple yrs ago now im back again
  • replies: 17

Hi all BB members, I'm 21 nearly 22yr female. I was part of BB a couple of years ago when I was just new to experiencing depression, and met some good people here, people that I hope still part of the group (some might remember me, but I dought it lo... View more

Hi all BB members, I'm 21 nearly 22yr female. I was part of BB a couple of years ago when I was just new to experiencing depression, and met some good people here, people that I hope still part of the group (some might remember me, but I dought it lol) . I stopped for awhile as I had been up and down mentally, got to the point in life where it was woke up fine and felt that I had no reason to continue to discuss my issues as I felt as tho I was happy again. I had been up and down in the last couple of years and have struggled. Iv returned BB as I have experienced another type of depression in to a different extent to what I first experienced mentally. It's only the last couple of weeks I'v been thinking about my life and where I'm heading and see my self, I had come to the conclusion that I wasn't happy compared to what I had been before depression, I had weighed out some of what my issues are thats weighing me down there has been deffently alot last year that went on for me in life that had changed for me. I don't really have many people to talk to expecially at times like this when I need it I found not many people are there (basically it's hard for them to understand) I want to meet new people who will and can understand what I go/am going through and gain more friends that I can go to at times like this when I need it the most. I'm hoping to make and meet new people and friends and share my experiences and stories, and just to vent and help as well as I'm mentally and emotionally struggling and battling with my thoughts and emotions at the moment but I would also love to be in volved for support as well for others to listen and read other people's stories too:)

Chris_m hi from melbourne
  • replies: 6

hi i am new guy i suffer from anxiety and major depression i be unemployment for near 3 year after company was declared bankruupt but i going to grow mental health communnity group.

hi i am new guy i suffer from anxiety and major depression i be unemployment for near 3 year after company was declared bankruupt but i going to grow mental health communnity group.