Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Eviee Hey all, new here!
  • replies: 7

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Queenslander and I deal with a lot of anxiety and hope this forum can help me I'm looking to meet new people.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Queenslander and I deal with a lot of anxiety and hope this forum can help me I'm looking to meet new people.

Cameragirl New to this wonderful commuity.

Hi everyone, just reading some of your very brave stories and thought to myself " you guys sound like a great bunch of people who I can relate to" I have Anxiety...I said it. In the past I've been ashamed of it, pulling back to the dark box I keep it... View more

Hi everyone, just reading some of your very brave stories and thought to myself " you guys sound like a great bunch of people who I can relate to" I have Anxiety...I said it. In the past I've been ashamed of it, pulling back to the dark box I keep it locked in. Until recently, I was able to pretend I didn't have it, I must have all the heart,lung, brain tumor and cancer instead of Anxiety. I still think I have heart problems with all the palpitations I get and tightness around the chest, shoulders and jaw. Anyway back to the real reason I have Anxiety, my mum has just been diagnosed with. Pulmonary Fibrosis. My wonderful mum is my world along with my husband and son. I'm not handling her disease very well at all....so sorry to go on. I'm doing my absolute best to look after her and deal with Anxiety as well....Anyway I hope to get to know you all and help with your issues as well.

Sunshine13 Hello everyone! :)
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone! I have just discovered that this forum exists and am very glad to be here. Like many here I have experienced anxiety and depression since I was a little girl. I have been going through a healing process from childhood sexual abuse and ha... View more

Hi everyone! I have just discovered that this forum exists and am very glad to be here. Like many here I have experienced anxiety and depression since I was a little girl. I have been going through a healing process from childhood sexual abuse and have made significant progress. Yay! However, the one lingering difficulty is severe anxiety. Sigh. It is affecting my life at work and in social situations...and I would really like to learn what others have done to overcome it! I have recently weaned myself off anti-d's which were a temporary godsend....and am taking herbal meds to try to help with the anxiety. Yeah I know...the herbal remedies are not as potent as the meds...but hey...you try what you can, right? The depression has not returned which is amazing!! But the anxiety.... I look forward to chatting with others here on this forum...and hopefully one day..when further healed....be able to help others! Take care all! Sunshine

Resilience New Member / Current Speaker Ambassoder.
  • replies: 7

Time for me to be involved again. I've had a year and a bit off speaking for beyond blue. Hence joining blue voices. Im looking forward to being of assistance to anyone and of course being assisted by others. Mental illness is a journey and you never... View more

Time for me to be involved again. I've had a year and a bit off speaking for beyond blue. Hence joining blue voices. Im looking forward to being of assistance to anyone and of course being assisted by others. Mental illness is a journey and you never really stop learning like in life about yourself. I Will be posting regularly, look forward to chatting.

Synapse Hello everyone! :)
  • replies: 2

Hello everyone, My name is Ken. I decided to join this online forum as I wanted to assist others who are experiencing mental health problems. Like many people on this forum, I too have experienced the effects of anxiety and depression. I understand j... View more

Hello everyone, My name is Ken. I decided to join this online forum as I wanted to assist others who are experiencing mental health problems. Like many people on this forum, I too have experienced the effects of anxiety and depression. I understand just how debilitating it can be to be afflicted with such disorders. I have witnessed first hand the cruelty of depression as my loved ones have also been affected by it. As a result of my experiences, I feel that this community is invaluable as it can provide hope, strength, and compassion to those who feel trapped in the darkest of places. Indeed, this is a service that is most noble in its cause. In addition to my personal experiences, I'm currently undertaking a PhD in Psychology so I hope that my knowledge can assist others who are in need. As a caveat, I must state that I'm a researcher not a clinician (although I hope to be a clinician some day). Resultantly, I am unable to offer clinical diagnosis, however I'd be happy to offer suggestions or perspective on things if need be. I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers, Ken

trunkysaurus Hello :)
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone Long term reader, first time poster. I've spent lots of time reading some of the great advice posted in these forums and finally worked up the courage to sign up. Looking forward to reading more of your experiences, advice and getting mor... View more

Hi everyone Long term reader, first time poster. I've spent lots of time reading some of the great advice posted in these forums and finally worked up the courage to sign up. Looking forward to reading more of your experiences, advice and getting more involved.

Sel79 Hello All!

My name is Selena, I'm 36, living in Brisbane, I work as a freelance pet sitter in addition to volunteering in the roles of administrative assistant and playgroup assistant. I'm a long term sufferer of depression and anxiety and I have this in additi... View more

My name is Selena, I'm 36, living in Brisbane, I work as a freelance pet sitter in addition to volunteering in the roles of administrative assistant and playgroup assistant. I'm a long term sufferer of depression and anxiety and I have this in addition to ADHD, specific learning difficulties and a mild case of Aspergers. It's been a long and at times arduous journey, but I manage the best I can. Right now I'm teetering on the edge of an episode which I would consider to be fairly mild at this point (I am on medication so that helps) I am aware of the contributing factors, underemployment, a recent romantic disappointment (which was mainly my fault for misreading the signs etc) my location which makes me desperately unhappy and family stuff. I am working through this crap now, but I know I'll make it because I always do!

jst-sum1 No one knows
  • replies: 2

I'm here because when something happened to me I found a way to hide it from everyone. I have been running away from it for so long that now I feel its too late to tell my now husband of 2 and half years. I can't tell the people I used to be with or ... View more

I'm here because when something happened to me I found a way to hide it from everyone. I have been running away from it for so long that now I feel its too late to tell my now husband of 2 and half years. I can't tell the people I used to be with or the people I'm with now because I fear they wont believe me as it happened so long ago and I never told anyone. I hate that they don't understand why I am the way I am or why I act the way I do and hide so much of me. I cannot bear to be this way anymore. I need to be strong for my children now, I cannot let them see how vulnerable I am and I cannot tell them what happened. I need to find a way to deal with this. I just don't know how>>>>>

Dardee New to this

Not having a good day. Stressing over the silliest things. Very teary. Feeling very alone. Have lost my appetite. Hubby very supportive. Have made a doctors appointment for monday. Just feel very alone.

Not having a good day. Stressing over the silliest things. Very teary. Feeling very alone. Have lost my appetite. Hubby very supportive. Have made a doctors appointment for monday. Just feel very alone.