Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

thomas1029609 first post - not a new member
  • replies: 16

I signed up late last year and just finding the courage to say hi well the short story been on medication and going to counselling for almost a year with a few ups and downs, my life lately has changed with a fair few positives from buying my own hou... View more

I signed up late last year and just finding the courage to say hi well the short story been on medication and going to counselling for almost a year with a few ups and downs, my life lately has changed with a fair few positives from buying my own house to meeting an awesome partner and now with a 10 week old baby. i still some days feel why? and what am i doing? what am i doing wrong? I also sometimes feel the counselling isn't working and just a lot of telling me what i should do not helping with the situation like the empty advice my mum would give when i was a child (just be happy and it will be ok). however my job well today had a surprise performance review and well made me feel like just wanting to walk out the door and quit. i had issues over the last 2 years and about 12 months ago got worse. the managers comment how they "saved me" and convinced a client to keep me, along with past issues etc and interview feedback from a prospective client. i know i need to get out of my job and i feel im only just hanging on at present, iv applied for some jobs and had some interviews but my struggle is when already feeling depressed and down to be the bubbly, enthusiastic, confident and ....i look at those words in the job description and feel how? thanks for reading

Rin2 Hi
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone. So I am currently struggling in life. Feeling absolutely lost most of the time but at the same time, too calm to save my life. The last time I've been to the GP was to get my thyroid checked, because I've been having low mood and have lo... View more

Hi everyone. So I am currently struggling in life. Feeling absolutely lost most of the time but at the same time, too calm to save my life. The last time I've been to the GP was to get my thyroid checked, because I've been having low mood and have lost weight. Having previously gotten blood test results, I have always shown abnormal thyroid levels (or something like that) but it wasn't all too severe to be worried about. So with the terrible low mood I have concluded that maybe my thyroid problems have gotten worse. However, as I got to talk to my GP alot more about my 'supposed symptoms', he ended up with the conclusion that I may have mild depression and that my thoughts about my thyroid must be my way of coping with it. That maybe I was looking for something physically wrong with me so it would be easier(kinda) to treat, but as it turns out it's actually something mentally wrong. That made me realise a few things, like being blind and not seeing the truth. The truth that I was unhappy, which I couldn't admit to myself because I was always the happy person. The person in the group that was always hyper and loud, so this was something completely opposite. But then again, I'm certain that it wasn't all pretend. Maybe until recently when I'm not as loud or ecstatic as I would normally be, and even quiet at times. However, ever since that last visit to the GP, things have gotten down hill. I spent most days being unable to get out bed, I ate once a day, loss of motivation at uni and even failing things which made me felt more worthless and would spent my nights crying myself to sleep and this would last for 2 weeks. It has happened on 2 occassions ever since (the last one being 2 months ago) and I feel like it's back, even though i feel like it's always been around. Maybe I should go back to the GP and get checked again and ask for proper diagnosis and help ? Especially the fact that it scares me how I can act so calm on the outside when I am internally stressing about everything deep inside.

Simba1 Hi
  • replies: 5

Hi i am new to this. I need to find people that are going through what i am. I have been with my partner for 9years and the past 4 years he has been battling bipolar. It is getting hard and hard to cope with the mood swings.

Hi i am new to this. I need to find people that are going through what i am. I have been with my partner for 9years and the past 4 years he has been battling bipolar. It is getting hard and hard to cope with the mood swings.

Ifonly2 Can't get out of my own way
  • replies: 1

Hi,I hope that by joining this community I can get some clarification and help to my feelings and advice on how I can remove this present dark cloud and find the motivation to help my self. I mainly suffer from anxiety mostly social and in turn that ... View more

Hi,I hope that by joining this community I can get some clarification and help to my feelings and advice on how I can remove this present dark cloud and find the motivation to help my self. I mainly suffer from anxiety mostly social and in turn that gives me depression. I self medicate with alcohol daily and it is making me worse, although I can't stop it. I have 2 young children and I have a great life on the land. I have self loathing about every part of me but just can't seem to do anything about it. I mainly suffer in silence although my husband knows part of it and does not understand. I really want to be happy and confident and help would be appreciated. I currently take medication for anxiety but feel like it has run its course? Thank you for reading

Flames Hello!
  • replies: 5

Hi, I've signed up tonight. I'm at a real low point in my life right now and needing some help to get back up. I suppose I've been a tough person and I do handle things well, but I think I've just had all I can take right now. Im 35, divorced twice (... View more

Hi, I've signed up tonight. I'm at a real low point in my life right now and needing some help to get back up. I suppose I've been a tough person and I do handle things well, but I think I've just had all I can take right now. Im 35, divorced twice (or will be soon) and I have two kids 7 & 3 (one to each ex husband). My first husband cheated and is still with her, my second has something going on with a girl at his work but says he wants to get back together. I was sexually abused by my father for 7 years when I was a child and have been stalked by him since he was charged. Since my split with my last husband I have had to move in with my nan, my kids and I share a bedroom and I had to give up my job. I want to use this to make my life better somehow.

Comet_Co Hello
  • replies: 2

This could easily be removed. It is hard to find forums that takes on "real" people.I am educated and have a lovingpartner, yet I sit here, under the influence needing to find others that feel the same that I do.

This could easily be removed. It is hard to find forums that takes on "real" people.I am educated and have a lovingpartner, yet I sit here, under the influence needing to find others that feel the same that I do.

Eviee Hey all, new here!
  • replies: 7

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Queenslander and I deal with a lot of anxiety and hope this forum can help me I'm looking to meet new people.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a Queenslander and I deal with a lot of anxiety and hope this forum can help me I'm looking to meet new people.

Cameragirl New to this wonderful commuity.

Hi everyone, just reading some of your very brave stories and thought to myself " you guys sound like a great bunch of people who I can relate to" I have Anxiety...I said it. In the past I've been ashamed of it, pulling back to the dark box I keep it... View more

Hi everyone, just reading some of your very brave stories and thought to myself " you guys sound like a great bunch of people who I can relate to" I have Anxiety...I said it. In the past I've been ashamed of it, pulling back to the dark box I keep it locked in. Until recently, I was able to pretend I didn't have it, I must have all the heart,lung, brain tumor and cancer instead of Anxiety. I still think I have heart problems with all the palpitations I get and tightness around the chest, shoulders and jaw. Anyway back to the real reason I have Anxiety, my mum has just been diagnosed with. Pulmonary Fibrosis. My wonderful mum is my world along with my husband and son. I'm not handling her disease very well at all....so sorry to go on. I'm doing my absolute best to look after her and deal with Anxiety as well....Anyway I hope to get to know you all and help with your issues as well.

Sunshine13 Hello everyone! :)
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone! I have just discovered that this forum exists and am very glad to be here. Like many here I have experienced anxiety and depression since I was a little girl. I have been going through a healing process from childhood sexual abuse and ha... View more

Hi everyone! I have just discovered that this forum exists and am very glad to be here. Like many here I have experienced anxiety and depression since I was a little girl. I have been going through a healing process from childhood sexual abuse and have made significant progress. Yay! However, the one lingering difficulty is severe anxiety. Sigh. It is affecting my life at work and in social situations...and I would really like to learn what others have done to overcome it! I have recently weaned myself off anti-d's which were a temporary godsend....and am taking herbal meds to try to help with the anxiety. Yeah I know...the herbal remedies are not as potent as the meds...but hey...you try what you can, right? The depression has not returned which is amazing!! But the anxiety.... I look forward to chatting with others here on this forum...and hopefully one day..when further healed....be able to help others! Take care all! Sunshine