Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

rhinoceros Introducing myself
  • replies: 4

Hello,I thought I should introduce myself to this forum.I'm male, 23 years old. I started displaying signs of depression and anxiety when I was around 13 years old. Over time these symptoms became worse. At the age of 17 I attempted to commit suicide... View more

Hello,I thought I should introduce myself to this forum.I'm male, 23 years old. I started displaying signs of depression and anxiety when I was around 13 years old. Over time these symptoms became worse. At the age of 17 I attempted to commit suicide. The support of my family helped me greatly through this time, and I was prescribed medication by my GP. Since then I still have suicidal thoughts but I would never attempt such a thing. Currently I still have depression, but it is well managed, and recently I have developed a case of performance anxiety with my new partner. This has had a negative effect on my depression as I'm sure you could imagine.I am coping well with my depression, I have a job and work as a jazz musician in the evenings. I feel that I am functioning well most of the time. Some days a really tough, but overall I can manage.At this point I'd like to graduallywean off the medication. I experience some side effects; my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be, and my head often feels 'cloudy', for want of a better word. The medication I'm on has some truly horrific withdrawal symptoms so I am a bit nervous about coming off it.It would be good to hear about other peoples experiences with medications, as well as weaning off medications in particular.beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

bluebelle3 Hi everyone
  • replies: 4

Just thought I would say hello. I am hoping I can get some more information about my situation here. It feels so complicated! And I really hope there is someone else out there with some advice. It seems one hour a week with a clinical psych is just n... View more

Just thought I would say hello. I am hoping I can get some more information about my situation here. It feels so complicated! And I really hope there is someone else out there with some advice. It seems one hour a week with a clinical psych is just not enough! Hopefully Ill get a chance to write a post on the forum tonight.

Will.i.am Here's mine in 50 words
  • replies: 7

28, M, Sydney Depression (Dysthymia) & Anxiety Father, Husband & Son I look forward to reading your life stories, reading and discussing what has worked for you, sharing my experiences and finding another outlet I can use to help simplify my life. Th... View more

28, M, Sydney Depression (Dysthymia) & Anxiety Father, Husband & Son I look forward to reading your life stories, reading and discussing what has worked for you, sharing my experiences and finding another outlet I can use to help simplify my life. Thanks and look forward to this new journey! W

Molly06 New here and back on the anxiety rollercoaster
  • replies: 11

Hi All, I have suffered from anxiety and depression since about 1992. When it first started I was in denial and didn't want to seek help as my father is bipolar and I thought that if I went for help I was admitting I was like him. I finally accepted ... View more

Hi All, I have suffered from anxiety and depression since about 1992. When it first started I was in denial and didn't want to seek help as my father is bipolar and I thought that if I went for help I was admitting I was like him. I finally accepted I needed help and started on my path with anti depressants and coming on and off them. For the last 8 years I have been on antidepressants full time as I finally realised I need them. I may have stopped once but only for a short time. The turning point for me came when one of my twins was born still and 3 months after this I was hospitalised for my anxiety / depression as a result of my loss and caring for a new Bub. over the years I have good and bad years/ months etc. I have been on my new medication now for over 1 year and up until the last 6 months have been pretty good, however at the beginning of the year I started a new job and my daughter started having anxiety issues herself, she is 8. This has brought up my anxiety and I have been blaming myself for her being like this because of genetics. I started to see a phychologist again bit2 weeks ago she suggested if I don't make some changes in my marriage it may end one day, this has caused all sorts of anxiety and has me questioning everything. Aside from the anxiety which I have been trying to take hold of with mindfulness exercises and positive thinking, trying to keep busy I have now started to become depressed, feeling very emotional. I'm scared that I'm letting it now take control and not sure what to do

Lizzle Feeling Alone
  • replies: 3

Hello I am Amy and I am 29 and have had deporession and anxiety for quite a few years. I have been feeling quite alone lately, I dont have alot of friends, i dont have that someone I can talk to and on the weekends I just watch movies by myself at ho... View more

Hello I am Amy and I am 29 and have had deporession and anxiety for quite a few years. I have been feeling quite alone lately, I dont have alot of friends, i dont have that someone I can talk to and on the weekends I just watch movies by myself at home. Im a bit scared it might be like this forever and I am not really sure what to do about it. Im not a huge social person but it would be nice to have plans with friends on weekends. I hide my depression from pretty much everyone and try and make things appear all ok in my world when really I am lonely and sad.

Doma Recommendations Melbourne GP
  • replies: 1

Hi guys, im in the anaxiety boat like a lot of you. After seeing my life roll down hill with the help of stressful situations in my life to make it worst and being sick of my thinking capabilities be so bad I couldn't do my job or run my own business... View more

Hi guys, im in the anaxiety boat like a lot of you. After seeing my life roll down hill with the help of stressful situations in my life to make it worst and being sick of my thinking capabilities be so bad I couldn't do my job or run my own business. I am now seeking help. So would like to know if anyone recommendeds any GPs that are in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne. Would love to know who has been great and been very helpful. Thanks guys.

Malleyc Hard couple of months
  • replies: 2

My girlfriend suffering it's been hard seeing her like this i cry every night cos she pushes me away and blames me i feel like it's all my fault i don't know what to do

My girlfriend suffering it's been hard seeing her like this i cry every night cos she pushes me away and blames me i feel like it's all my fault i don't know what to do

CuppaT Newbie Post
  • replies: 5

Hi all! New here, was googling for some support and when Beyond Blue came up thought to myself "Why have I not checked out these forums before??" Anyway, I'm gay, 23-years-old and I suffer from anxiety and depression. I was diagnosed about 4 years ag... View more

Hi all! New here, was googling for some support and when Beyond Blue came up thought to myself "Why have I not checked out these forums before??" Anyway, I'm gay, 23-years-old and I suffer from anxiety and depression. I was diagnosed about 4 years ago although I'm pretty sure I've had mental health issues much longer. I'm doing much better these days - my medications seem to be working, I've had regular therapy over the last 4 years and have supportive friends and family. Sometimes, though, it's nice to be able to reach out to people with similar experiences, which is what brought me here. Also hoping to be able to offer some advice or share my experiences in the hopes I can help others with what they're going through. Ted x

Poodlejewel New and feeling silly in Comparison.
  • replies: 3

I am new to panic attacks. After lots of tests and reading Google etc it seems mine are less traumatic and definitely less frequently than other peoples but none the less just as scarey. My main question is that I seem to have them AND always in my s... View more

I am new to panic attacks. After lots of tests and reading Google etc it seems mine are less traumatic and definitely less frequently than other peoples but none the less just as scarey. My main question is that I seem to have them AND always in my sleep but when life is going good. No attacks for 6 months? ?? Take 3 weeks annual leave so relaxed then boom 3am I wake with the biggest I've ever had? ??

Muzza1991 Anxiety
  • replies: 1

My name is Murray just over a year ago I was diagnosed with anxiety, depression and OCD. before long I felt my world coming down hill like a fast truck with no brakes. i felt scared and fearful about everything. Would get pins and needles all over my... View more

My name is Murray just over a year ago I was diagnosed with anxiety, depression and OCD. before long I felt my world coming down hill like a fast truck with no brakes. i felt scared and fearful about everything. Would get pins and needles all over my body, a racing heart and couldn't sit still. Constantly felt like I was dying. i couldn't tell from what was real to fiction. My brain racing with so many unusual and terrible thoughts. i would find myself staring at my hand or at a object and get seriously worked up over it and feel a panic attack come on. i kept thinking how did I go from a completely happy person and care free to so full of anger and trying to control everything and worrying about everything. it takes time but I believe something really does trigger it. Mine was the past . How I was treated as a person and how it hurt me so much with how people treated me and how they acted and there was so apology . through my anxiety I really had to learn that it is completely normal to care for yourself and you don't have to be in control of anything apart from yourself. you can't control your past or the people in it. And you can't control how people act or what is going on in the world. ITS NOT YOUR PROBLEM!! Because of these unfortunate events that happened in my past I felt like it was unfair and I had no control of what took place . then I developed a attitude and mind set that I had to control everything. Such as making sure everyone was doing the right thing and doing it my way. How exhausting !! I believe there are a lot of people that are hurt or get effected emotionally by what people have done to us or what people do that are wrong but we have to remember we are only in control of what we do and who we are as a person. We are all born for a reason. And that's to live our life well and love ourselves and only be in control of what we can be in control and rest when things that we can't be in control of arise . take the pressure of and don't define who you are because of what others have done to you or what the world is doing . It's not your problem or fault .