Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Teiiiiim Hi I'm Tim
  • replies: 6

Hi, my name is tim, I'm 19 and I've been really struggling with depression for about 2 years. I feel like I am a very happy and light hearted kinda guy but on the inside I feel like my soul has been sucked out of me. I feel like it would be really gr... View more

Hi, my name is tim, I'm 19 and I've been really struggling with depression for about 2 years. I feel like I am a very happy and light hearted kinda guy but on the inside I feel like my soul has been sucked out of me. I feel like it would be really great for me to make some quality friends. about my depression: I have been struggling with depression for about 2 years, take medication and have regular therapy. I'm finding it very difficult to attend Uni, and also just to live in general. The things I am depressed about are complex but I struggle with the meaning of life a lot. I find it is best to live day to day. I'm keen to make new friends as I've said, wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Delpedro New here
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, I suffer from depression and anxiety and I just want to say after reading some of the forums, that I believe I am in the right place. I am currently on medication and have been for quite a while, but sometimes it does not seem to be enou... View more

Hi everyone, I suffer from depression and anxiety and I just want to say after reading some of the forums, that I believe I am in the right place. I am currently on medication and have been for quite a while, but sometimes it does not seem to be enough. I am currently experiencing problems with self medicating with alcohol and even though I know better, the viscous cycle keeps drawing me in. I hope I can be a caring and sharing member and gain some benefit along the way. Thanks.

Summadayz New here

Hi i dont really know where to start. Im not sure what i should be writing. Can anyone advise

Hi i dont really know where to start. Im not sure what i should be writing. Can anyone advise

Badluckgirl1 New here
  • replies: 4

Hi i would like to say im very nervous and vague of how much i am meant to put in detail. ... i posted for help as i feel my family is falling apart. ... i read a few posts beforehand and i must say the support looked amazing. However im not sure wha... View more

Hi i would like to say im very nervous and vague of how much i am meant to put in detail. ... i posted for help as i feel my family is falling apart. ... i read a few posts beforehand and i must say the support looked amazing. However im not sure what i expected but the reply i got wasnt what i was expecting. Now im not sure what or why im even posting on here because I feel more alone than i did before which i didn't think would have been possible. I guess now im asking if you cant help... who can... feeling totally worthless. Lost. Angry.sad disappointed.

Johnwithme Greetings!!!

Have reached a time in life where work is less important hand have been a little negligent of relationships and friendships which has left me feeling like a caged animal looking in at the world.Also my seep patterns are terrible at present and I don'... View more

Have reached a time in life where work is less important hand have been a little negligent of relationships and friendships which has left me feeling like a caged animal looking in at the world.Also my seep patterns are terrible at present and I don't wish to rely on medication.Hope people can understand....thanking you.

shagz just wanna say hi
  • replies: 6

Hi every body. I'm new, and here to offer support to others, plus learn more about anxiety, depression and a personality disorder. HI!

Hi every body. I'm new, and here to offer support to others, plus learn more about anxiety, depression and a personality disorder. HI!

FrankJ Saying Hi is always a good place to start!
  • replies: 7

HI! I've suffered depressive bouts for around 8 years now. I don't feel I get depressed about things that go wrong. But things generally go wrong due to me being depressed. I go to bed happy but in the morning will wake up blank and numb. I have no c... View more

HI! I've suffered depressive bouts for around 8 years now. I don't feel I get depressed about things that go wrong. But things generally go wrong due to me being depressed. I go to bed happy but in the morning will wake up blank and numb. I have no conversation in me, muddle my words as my thoughts wander and feel unresponsive to others. Worse still I know it's happening which makes me feel awful. My work and social life suffer which frustrates me as I can't shake it off. It used to last a few days then I'd be fine but now last a couple of weeks with just a couple of weeks of respite. I'll leave it at that for now....but.....Hi anyway

Shaun11111 New here
  • replies: 1

Hi, just wondering how I go about bringing up depression/anxiety with my local gp? I'm a reserved person

Hi, just wondering how I go about bringing up depression/anxiety with my local gp? I'm a reserved person

Mima11 New and nervous
  • replies: 3

From the outside looking in I am successful, happy, intelligent etc. From the inside looking out I am in a constant state of panic, doubting, scared, sad - so incredibly sad, angry and frightened - all of the time. My heart races, my palms sweat, I l... View more

From the outside looking in I am successful, happy, intelligent etc. From the inside looking out I am in a constant state of panic, doubting, scared, sad - so incredibly sad, angry and frightened - all of the time. My heart races, my palms sweat, I lash out for no reason, I find myself with tears on my cheeks. Today I am taking action. I have walked in this dark cloud for way to long. I am going to see my GP and I am scared beyond belief. I don't know why I am so scared - that she won't believe me? That she will laugh and say c'mon look at your life.... I know it will take every ounce of courage to walk into her office and say..."I think I am suffering severe anxiety and depression and I need help". Reading everything here on Beyond Blue has given me the confidence to make the appointment, to make me realise that what I think is normal - is actually not. So - here's to the collective courage of those who have gone before me and the hope that is at the other side.

alicia8 New to the beyond blue community!
  • replies: 4

Hey, I guess ill start by telling you a bit about myself.. Mid 20s, female, sufferer of mental instability for as long as I can remember. I've had learning difficulties growing up, where my developmental milestones were delayed. Plus having a twin si... View more

Hey, I guess ill start by telling you a bit about myself.. Mid 20s, female, sufferer of mental instability for as long as I can remember. I've had learning difficulties growing up, where my developmental milestones were delayed. Plus having a twin sister who did not experience the same disadvantages as myself, who I was then always compared against and Iv never felt like I was good enough. Fast forward to now and I'm living alone, in another country, studying a post graduate degree! Never once in my life, I thought I'd get to this point and I am very proud of myself. Unfortunately about 2 years ago, I had what felt like a mental breakdown and thought there was something serious wrong with me. I was in contact with a great doctor and he ruled out every possible organic reason for my illness and behavior. It was then that he decided to explore the path of a mental disorder. I was diagnosed with GAD, panic attacks, social anxiety, agoraphobia and depression. I can remember my lowest point with dealing with this disorder and it was the worst time of my life, i wouldn't wish anyone to experience how low and sad you can get. I tried antidepressants- weren't for me. Did CBT for 2 years and it did help, however, there are times (like now) where i feel very alone, sad and unmotivated. This is not useful when trying to do assignments for uni! I feel like i annoy my friends and family when i talk to them about how i'm feeling so I thought id give this a go and join, what seems like a very supportive community of like-minded people. A