Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

nuckey Sinking under the pressure
  • replies: 3

Hi, I'm new and am just about at the end of my tether My darling husband of 36 yrs suffers from depression This was not always the case in 2000 he was medically retired (airline pilot) for a DVT and in the same year we nursed his farther with termina... View more

Hi, I'm new and am just about at the end of my tether My darling husband of 36 yrs suffers from depression This was not always the case in 2000 he was medically retired (airline pilot) for a DVT and in the same year we nursed his farther with terminal cancer. From there our life has been senseless we have seen 4 psychiatrist and he had been on many many many drugs and hospital stints I have coped BUT last year I injured my shoulder which has stopped me doing my job and things around the house it's on the mend now but I have found my tolerance is zero I guess I'm just worn out and feel bad that I'm not supporting him better He has no interest in trying to find a purpose and I'm getting to the stage where I just don't want to go home Feeling very disappointed in the medical world as its like "try this drug and come back next month" the problem here is I have to deal with the day yo day which can be heartbreaking Any thoughts would be much appreciated Cheers

Coastgal86 Nervous to post..
  • replies: 11

Hi all! Ok so I've taken the first step (again) first time on forums was 2 years ago. I posted once then chickened out! I feel so silly reading so many truly heartbreaking stories and I'm over here thinking I have no right to feel the way I do. I hav... View more

Hi all! Ok so I've taken the first step (again) first time on forums was 2 years ago. I posted once then chickened out! I feel so silly reading so many truly heartbreaking stories and I'm over here thinking I have no right to feel the way I do. I have all theses thoughts and feelings that I need to get out but don't even know where to start or who to turn to. Xo

kristy2 im still getting the hang of things
  • replies: 2

i think it started year 2 of pramry school i was heverly bullied becasuse i was the only girl in the class ( i went to a very small school) but primerly cause i am dislexic i couldnt read or write as well as the other kids and had to go to specal cla... View more

i think it started year 2 of pramry school i was heverly bullied becasuse i was the only girl in the class ( i went to a very small school) but primerly cause i am dislexic i couldnt read or write as well as the other kids and had to go to specal class's i would always sit alone some times the older kids would sit with me. this hapeend intill i moved schools when i was in year 5 then things where better but i was still one of the differnt kids cause i lived in a run down house in a rich suberb and my family isnt what you would call financially stable i couldnt go or do the things other kids where doing so they would dich me i know that sounds petty and dont get me wrong but it did make a differcen when you couldnt go on school excursions and kids yell out that your too poor really dose get to a kid. the being of high was one of the best things that happend to me sounds werid but because there are so many diffrent kids with differnt abilities i found people that kind of spoke my language if you know what i mean. everything was going fine intill well my mother decided to leave with out telling anyone of my family members and like anyone else that kind of tore me apart.. i try talking to people about how i was feeling but my brain kinda didnt let me if you know what i mean and no one ever ask if i was okay so i just keeped quite that went on for a while i was crying most nights and couldnt sleep and thinking not the best things. i knew i had to do somthing so i just sort of forced myself to go out side and started hanging out with just close friends again and that really helped (quick tip : do not drink when your going through things it dosent go well) so after all that shit happend i was feeling good again. about a year later and i dont know what triggered it but i just got really bad and there was nothing i could do i stopped coming home and i wasent just hurting myself i was doing it to the people who cared about me when i realised how bad i was actually getting i decided to get some help i went to my GP they were very help full i am still trying to get the hang of things but i feel as i am getting a lot better and this is great cause i havent said most of these things to anyone its great to get of my chest!

Howsyourfather Past,present and future.

It started with mistrust became a physical illness and follows me around like my shadow and all I try to do is get up everyday and put one foot in front of the other.It feels like as if sometimes I am trapped like an insect in a spiders web waiting f... View more

It started with mistrust became a physical illness and follows me around like my shadow and all I try to do is get up everyday and put one foot in front of the other.It feels like as if sometimes I am trapped like an insect in a spiders web waiting for the possible outcome,trying to get free and overcome what seems to be the inevitable.When the web is broken and freedom prevails the ever present danger never goes away because webs keep being built,this is how my life is like living with bipolar disorder.Walking in public as if everyone is a mirror and their is no escape from yourself and the ever present human condition,a constant reminder of yourself and your own fragility.Hi my name is John and I escaped the city to live in the country to try and manage this debilitating condition.The trees, birds and the silence of the expanse keep me from untangling but I still need to be medicated and to be looked after by my partner and carer.I deceided now after all these years to try and connect with like minded people and try to unravel some more of the onion skin the protects me from getting to close to the truth about my mental illness.

Budsie New to Beyond Blue
  • replies: 4

Hello Everyone. I have been suffering anxiety from GAD for 10 years but it has been under control with no real symptoms until January this year when something tipped me over. I havent been the same since. I thought it was something medical wrong with... View more

Hello Everyone. I have been suffering anxiety from GAD for 10 years but it has been under control with no real symptoms until January this year when something tipped me over. I havent been the same since. I thought it was something medical wrong with me as i have a severe dry mouth, Nausea and a not wanting to do anything as i feel so sick and i have lost 5kg. After every test under the sun there is nothing medically wrong with me which is great, so it must be anxiety. I have been toying with changing medication for a while with my GP as have been waiting 2 months to get in to a Psychiatrist. I have changed it this week and i am so scared i will be like this for the rest of my life i dont see any end in sight. I really dont want to be like this and i have tried everything, Energetic Healing, Hypnosis,acupuncture, bioresonace therapy and nothing helps.(I have booked in for Reiki next week) I want a quick fix as i hate feeling like this and i hate knowing there isnt a quick fix. God if i knew what sent me over the edge i would have never let it happen. I am sure there are a lot of you who can relate. It is ruining my life and my relationships with my 2 teenage boys and husband. sometimes i just need to talk it though but my husband isnt one to talk and i fear my friends are getting sick of me. Thanks for listening.

MysticMarine Help?

Hi, ive been struggling with a lot of stress lately referring tommy health physically I am paranoid about getting diseases and always am looking up symptoms of mine and obsessively worrying over them I just don't know what to do. Is it normal to get ... View more

Hi, ive been struggling with a lot of stress lately referring tommy health physically I am paranoid about getting diseases and always am looking up symptoms of mine and obsessively worrying over them I just don't know what to do. Is it normal to get loads of pains in my legs, ribs, back and all over the place, I've been told it's to do with stress but I'd like some help with my stress about my health all the time it's like everyday I have a new symptom of some sort and worth constantly! please help, Marine

Georgia1 Hi all

Hi Guys, Newbie here just wanting to pop in and say hello. Introducing myself is slight bit harder then I'd like to admit so here goes ... 32 single mumma to one amazing terror on legs, variety of health issues ranging from physical to mental and may... View more

Hi Guys, Newbie here just wanting to pop in and say hello. Introducing myself is slight bit harder then I'd like to admit so here goes ... 32 single mumma to one amazing terror on legs, variety of health issues ranging from physical to mental and maybe the in between...(gosh is there an in between ?) ---- insert that small private thought here---- Ive joined mostly in hope to find I am not alone in my thinking processes, give support to others in need and provide a hopeful witty way of looking at life and a small giggle or smile to others. Watch this space people I am ready to roar and crawl one day at a time in a positive manner back into content and happy even if it thrills me!! (yes I said thrills me) . Have a great day ppl and catch up with you all soon.

A101 Social Anxiety
  • replies: 1

Hi, I have been having social anxiety attacks lately. I believe I have had social anxiety since my teens to some degree or another but due to building up a career etc in the past I had thought I had managed to overcome my self esteem issues through w... View more

Hi, I have been having social anxiety attacks lately. I believe I have had social anxiety since my teens to some degree or another but due to building up a career etc in the past I had thought I had managed to overcome my self esteem issues through will and just being forced out there. I have been a stay at home mother for the past 7 years after the birth of my first child. I have started drinking alone whilst my husband is away/overseas to relax me but feel as if this is leading to social anxiety and is becoming a crux on the issue. It has increased my social anxiety massively as a result. My self esteem has slipped a lot since deciding to stay at home, although I wouldn't compromise that time with my children. I feel like a tiny fish out at sea at the moment and can't seem to build up the courage to pave my own way back into work with my social anxiety. I tend to 'bottle up' to loved ones in other words I can't speak to them about any insecurities/issues I'm going through. All out of fear of judgement I guess. Sometimes I get so nervous in situations I tremble, my heart rate goes up and I have nothing but negative thoughts, I have heard the strategies to overcome this but my mind doesn't seem to stop!! Thank you for listening x

Lytaz Room for another newbie?
  • replies: 9

Hello Everyone! I'm just another newbie who has crept in for some empathy and sharing experiences. Not much to tell; I'm just clinging to my 20's and have lived with depression more than half my life. I've been on medication for the most part, other ... View more

Hello Everyone! I'm just another newbie who has crept in for some empathy and sharing experiences. Not much to tell; I'm just clinging to my 20's and have lived with depression more than half my life. I've been on medication for the most part, other than a brief period where I set up camp in denial and tried that instead. I've been struggling with anxiety and panic for a while. I am giving CBT/therapy a go with a psychologist for the first time so I'll be haunting those forums for advice. So I just wanted to say hi and hopefully I'll see you all around.

Jasperina Hello lovely people, I'm new here.
  • replies: 5

My anxiety seems complex through my many life events, yet simple if I just say that people are the trigger for that ' here I go again' feeling. Its so 'same old', just from a new source. I begin to question whether I attract other's disapproval, exam... View more

My anxiety seems complex through my many life events, yet simple if I just say that people are the trigger for that ' here I go again' feeling. Its so 'same old', just from a new source. I begin to question whether I attract other's disapproval, examining how I could behave differently to be less upsetting to others. Wondering how come I am so easily disturbed, lacking resilience and so easily wanting to curl up and cry. Feeling sorry for myself. Why am I so sensitive, I don't need an answer, as I know the world situation, my ageing mum with dementia, my kids who are busy with their own and don't bother, nor do I, and people who've added to my score of replayable traumas. Its me being human, wanting connections, scared of connections, rejection and rejecting. I'm sure the sadness will pass. I'll go on being me with my history and sensitivities, my replayable memories, my family woes, my social experiences that aren't always positive. This feels like self-pity but it came out of the blue, surprising me that I was perceived in such a negative way, explaining the cold shoulders. I seriously don't want such nonsense. I'll have to keep quiet and watch my step but most of all I just want to feel good about being me. I'm so grateful for the good people and the good days. Today was less good, I think I triggered other's intolerances and they triggered my feeling of being the target. I need to talk this over with them, see if I can heal the situation. Get myself motivated and back on track. I don't want to be medicated to feel better, its just when I start feeling anxious, even if I know the solution, I can't seem to turn off the anxiety. Maybe have a good cleansing cry. Thanks for this place to write and think.