Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

ManyApricot Fear of driving
  • replies: 2

Hi! So I'm a learner driver, and currently I have 3 hours and 45 minutes in my log book.... over the course of about 10 months. I started out driving being really optimistic, but on my first drive with my dad, I broke down crying after pulling out on... View more

Hi! So I'm a learner driver, and currently I have 3 hours and 45 minutes in my log book.... over the course of about 10 months. I started out driving being really optimistic, but on my first drive with my dad, I broke down crying after pulling out on an intersection without looking. I knew it was going to be difficult, but as soon as I get in the car, I have this shaky feeling and I start getting adrenaline and all that. I know how to drive, and I'm not that bad at it, considering I've only had 3h 45m. I really don't want to blame my dad, but he has been driving since he was 6 years old and doesn't understand the fear that I have. He doesn't understand when I tell him to only take us on the back roads. Instead, he took me to the middle of town. And he also yells at me while I'm driving which just makes me feel anxious and overwhelmed. I keep thinking that maybe if I keep doing it, I'll get better, but it just seems to get worse and worse. My friends and family think I'm just being a drama queen. Even thinking about driving makes me feel anxious. I really want to get my P's, but I just can't stomach the idea of having to drive 120 hours. Anything I can do to help this anxiousness?

Con_Fused Report Harassment or Keep on the Down Low?
  • replies: 3

Hi, New to this internet posting stuff. I've been on the (not-so) "merry go round" for 30 years now, had 4 major breakdowns, various issues, depression & anxiety the mainstays. While I go from one incident to another, I'm currently having a major iss... View more

Hi, New to this internet posting stuff. I've been on the (not-so) "merry go round" for 30 years now, had 4 major breakdowns, various issues, depression & anxiety the mainstays. While I go from one incident to another, I'm currently having a major issue with my clothes not fitting. Sounds minor. But I've always had it and it's really taking it's toll now. The result is I get ridiculed and laughed at by young and old, large & thin, everyone. I walk around with my head down so I do not see their reactions. I wear earphones so I don't hear their "suggestions". I avoid shopping centres because my life depends on it. Once I'm home, I'm scared to leave my lounge-room. If I could stop working, I would but that's just not financially practical, or a reality. Just seen my GP who's given me time off work as I had a really, bad day yesterday, singular interactions most of the day then in the afternoon, a whole section of my department (20 odd) returning from a meeting they had, sniggering while we all waited for the elevator. My defenses, they took a battering. My GP is appalled at the treatment and my medical certificate is somewhat tersely worded to that affect. However - I'm at odds at submitting the certificate, formalising my issues with management and my Union, bringing it all out into the open. It's obviously already out there but not through my doing. I'm afraid of the consequences. The target on my head. The stigma of reporting it. I already know the answer to the equation of reprimand many or let me go. I don't believe my reporting it will stop it. Quite the opposite. I believe it will get worse. I've been called "a princess" in the past for voicing my concerns. (I'm a bloke by the way.) Government Dept. One of those that has all the policy's about how we treat and respect one another, how we act, and how we approach such instances, all talk. I believe the policy's only support small instances. Minor party infringements. I'm leaning towards keeping it all down low, bluffing my way through some time off, wasting more money on clothes that don't fit or get "sold" to me, I'll even go back to the "tailor" to try for the tenth time. I'm not young anymore. I'm worn down physically & mentally. I guess the reason I'm posting is I'm bouncing my idea of not formalising it. Riding it out for another few years. Edging closer to the retirement that I have nothing for.

Rocketgirl New member - Never done this before
  • replies: 1

Hi all, I've never been apart of a forum before, but I hate talking out loud, so perhaps this way I can let out some of the things I need to say without actually saying them! Anyway, i'm a mum of one with a fiance. I don't know if I have depression, ... View more

Hi all, I've never been apart of a forum before, but I hate talking out loud, so perhaps this way I can let out some of the things I need to say without actually saying them! Anyway, i'm a mum of one with a fiance. I don't know if I have depression, or anxiety, or anything else really. I don't know if my current lifestyle is all that's wrong with me, or if there is an underlying issue. I've battled depression most of my life, but a change in lifestyle, mindset and association seemed to fix it and i turned it all around. Once I found my fiance and we got pregnant I thought that I would never see the signs of sadness again.. but they are back. I feel disconnected from everyone. I don't go out. I don't answer my phone. I cry when my fiance goes out with his mates. I feel like i've got no control over anything. I hate this feeling.

Venetian Loneliness
  • replies: 3

I have just joined, I suffer from anxiety, depression and loneliness. do any of you have suggestions ?

I have just joined, I suffer from anxiety, depression and loneliness. do any of you have suggestions ?

high_achiever My Story of suffering at work with stress that led to Depression, Anxiety which led to a Brief Psychotic episode
  • replies: 5

Hi everybody I feel as though I need to tell my story of stress, leading to depression and anxiety in the workplace and the dangers of what it can lead too, as from the title. It will be along story but I feel as though it will help me in my recovery... View more

Hi everybody I feel as though I need to tell my story of stress, leading to depression and anxiety in the workplace and the dangers of what it can lead too, as from the title. It will be along story but I feel as though it will help me in my recovery with my team of medical professionals to get better and stay better. The main reasons that I want to tell my story is that in the work place, peoples mental health needs to be taken seriously and preventative measures are a must. After reading through Beyond Blue website, I believe that this type of story is at the heart and essence that peoples mental health must be treated as a national priority. To remove the Stigma, to promote that depression and anxiety are real, it affects people in different ways, and if not treated early and identifying that you need help early, it can lead to much more debilitating problems. I believe that it needs to be promoted at the highest of levels in corporations and government, to make a commitment to educate and take mental health seriously. After all, business only become successful from leadership. Businesses often forget their number one assets. PEOPLE.................And people who suffer from Depression and/or Anxiety can still work.

Guest_8790 New person rustic girl

MY name is rusty girl and have posted a day or two ago. I really appreciate all comments and as I am hoping you can reply to my first thread as I am finding it hard to reply. Hope I will get the hang if this so don't make new posts making it hard for... View more

MY name is rusty girl and have posted a day or two ago. I really appreciate all comments and as I am hoping you can reply to my first thread as I am finding it hard to reply. Hope I will get the hang if this so don't make new posts making it hard for others to add theirs. please be patient with this old girl will learn. this is why I am here to learn and change. just wish it has taken so long to make changes. motivation and procrastination have been big factors but am ready to change this.

Jemmy Just a girl trying to figure things out
  • replies: 1

I’ve been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years and for 2 of those years he has had depression and anxiety. he has a very full on job, which he loves, but takes a lot of time and energy, leaving not much time for him to have a hobby outside of work or... View more

I’ve been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years and for 2 of those years he has had depression and anxiety. he has a very full on job, which he loves, but takes a lot of time and energy, leaving not much time for him to have a hobby outside of work or much time for us to spend together. he has just started seeing a psychologist, which is great because I feel like he is making steps and trying to work things out. We have a great relationship, however I’m starting to question if we will survive this process. I’m very emotional and need very open communication, where as he is quite shut off and doesn’t like to talk about his feelings. I guess I’m just at a point where I’m not sure what to do to help him or to help myself cope. I don’t really feel like my friends understand everything entirely which makes it hard to talk to them about it. i don’t really know who to talk to, I’m thinking of seeing a therapist but the cost is high and I’m not sure I can afford it. if anyone has any advice, it would be muchly appreciated!

Curiousmind87 New mum trying to cope with the new life, OCD, irritability, anxiety and everything else

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have been a perfectionist throughout my life and cannot stand it when things are not done my way. I recently had a baby who turned 6 weeks old today. I have a LOT of family help, as both mum and mother-in-law live... View more

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have been a perfectionist throughout my life and cannot stand it when things are not done my way. I recently had a baby who turned 6 weeks old today. I have a LOT of family help, as both mum and mother-in-law live with us. However, recently I can't seem to stand anything that my mother-in-law does. Everything she does gets on to my nerves and I have the deep urge to redo things. It is partly because I feel like I can do things better, e.g. in the kitchen or baby stuff and partly because she is adamant and set on how she wants to do things despite knowing that I dont like it. Also both mums seem to get into arguments all the time, which also annoys me. I constantly keep feeling that I cant live my life the way I want and that I am being ruled in my own house. I want to have my own space which is also impossible as the mums stay with us permanently. I don't know how to move on and ignore these issues and to make the time with my newborn more enjoyable.

June_Summer Depleted

Hi! I've joined BB to find support for the exhaustion that is my life. I've been strong for so long I'm out of strength.

Hi! I've joined BB to find support for the exhaustion that is my life. I've been strong for so long I'm out of strength.

Melbournedad13 Anxiety depression paranoid drug and alcohol addict

I’ve had my same life for 18 yrs no control. I no what has to be done I truly do but my anxiety and depression is really bad. So I run to alcohol and drugs. 90% of the time I’m enjoying the affect whilst drunk and hi but even after so many times of m... View more

I’ve had my same life for 18 yrs no control. I no what has to be done I truly do but my anxiety and depression is really bad. So I run to alcohol and drugs. 90% of the time I’m enjoying the affect whilst drunk and hi but even after so many times of making very bad decision making whilst intoxicated gambling partying not going to work, the really bad feeling of a come down and the rest. I still do it to deal with my anxiety and depression even I no it’s going to make more and more worst. I lost lots over this journey and about to lose it all... I have 2 beautiful children and when I’m with them I’m I what would call a happy and normal place but the down time when there with there mother I’m un able to have control I turn to the drink then take drugs then the rest is history. This has been so repetitive in my life I’m running out of time. There’s a good person in me i have passions love for things I caring i like to help people make them laugh i have a great job/trade until I lose that one as well. Im not well so deprest atm can’t get out of Bed.. used my last 20$ on beer yesterday then used drugs owe money again..spiraling out of control again and I’m to embarrassed to for family help again because I keep shitting in there face.