Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

queenal96 New Member, Introducing Myself
  • replies: 6

Hello there, I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for a few years now and it has only just hit me pretty hard this year and i'm finding it hard to cope with day to day activities and life in general. The hardest part is loosing motivatio... View more

Hello there, I have been suffering with anxiety and depression for a few years now and it has only just hit me pretty hard this year and i'm finding it hard to cope with day to day activities and life in general. The hardest part is loosing motivation to do the things you enjoy or just getting up and going to work. I feel lonely at times, i constantly compare myself to other peoples lives and always asking myself why? With the advice of my mum she had told me to perhaps give beyond blue a call and sitting for a couple minutes looking at my phone i thought i have nothing to loose. It was the best decision i made to call Beyond Blue as i knew this is step in a forward direction for myself of getting better, the man on the other end of the phone was very understanding and let me speak my mind freely i am very greatful. He suggested I join the online forum, this is something i have never done before. So i'd love to know what anyone else on this forums coping strategies are and how you manage your anxiety or depression? Look forward to hearing from you all soon. Ally

_Elle_ New Member Saying Hello
  • replies: 3

I've just joined the forums hoping to just have a chat to others about what helped or helps them when they have a bad day and just to talk to people who may have been through something similar. I have two kids and after the second i went through post... View more

I've just joined the forums hoping to just have a chat to others about what helped or helps them when they have a bad day and just to talk to people who may have been through something similar. I have two kids and after the second i went through postnatal depression which i guess never really fully went away. I am doing a lot better now but some bad days still feel like a real struggle. I didn't get help for a really long time partially because i didn't recognize it myself and partially because the first people i tried to open up to after i realised i wasn't ok just responded with 'you wanted kids so you should have expected it to be hard' which didn't really send me on the right path. While most days are better i just wanted to reach out and talk with people who may have had the same or similar experiences. Just feels nice to talk to someone who isn't either ignoring the problem or trying to find a quick fix for it. So hello all

HiddenGemFallenStar Our “so am I crazy* or not? “ moments.
  • replies: 2

*No I don’t agree or disagree with using the word crazy as a synonym* Am I crazy* or not is those moments we’ve all had if were on here- read mine you’ll get the jyst please share yours. And YES say it if it’s funny, if it’s kinda traumatic, depressi... View more

*No I don’t agree or disagree with using the word crazy as a synonym* Am I crazy* or not is those moments we’ve all had if were on here- read mine you’ll get the jyst please share yours. And YES say it if it’s funny, if it’s kinda traumatic, depressing, trippy, scary, strange or deranged. Let’s break the ice just start writing it. Let whatever it is come out and hit post. X

Dogdude Does anyone know of anywhere?
  • replies: 1

Hi, I have times like today when I just want to unload my thoughts but I don't want it openly viewable to the world. Does such a place exist that isn't a Facebook group where you have to wait to be approved?

Hi, I have times like today when I just want to unload my thoughts but I don't want it openly viewable to the world. Does such a place exist that isn't a Facebook group where you have to wait to be approved?

Calwri When is it time to call it?

Hi there So pretty tough to squeeze a decades trials and tribulations in to 2500 characters, but here lies my current (last few years); English, moved to Aus with Partner and young child. Had second child, grew a business, quit own job good job to gr... View more

Hi there So pretty tough to squeeze a decades trials and tribulations in to 2500 characters, but here lies my current (last few years); English, moved to Aus with Partner and young child. Had second child, grew a business, quit own job good job to grow business, have no family or support network, work together, I'm sole carer of our children and work full time, he drinks every night (and sometimes takes other substances or has gone and disappeared to "friends" for a night or 2), he's got anxiety and anger management issues. Constantly puts me down, shouts, swears, name calls (freak, crazy, mental etc), questions everything I do or choice I make, (tries) to control what I wear and it goes on. He's so dependant on me; he treats me like I'm his actual PA (despite me being the force and growth of said business), he has never supported me in anything inside or outside the business, he is controlling/dictating, condemning and bullying towards our kids i.e. expectations, shouts, makes empty promises and has created anxiety in our 9 year old. I try and stay so strong and positive about life, kids and our business etc but just because I don't "flip out" like he does I get abused. One of us has to stay calm or realistic - I don't see how if we both reacted and dealt with issues (like he does) will achieve anything. I regularly go to bed alone or in tears and the next day he acts like nothing has happened and he expects love and affection and I'm told to "get over it". I would love to leave, so the kids can have a happier and free'er childhood but I am so trapped financially (we are both Directors of the business which I would hate to see fail/close if I departed) and legally we are dependant on his visa and I've worked so hard to make a life here, and this is the kids home, going back to what is England just isn't an option. Thanks, in advance, for your time.

Treegirl3 Isolated

Hello. I'm new to this . I have struggled with depression and anxiety for a while. The last 5 months have been hard. Barely want to get out of bed most days. In the last few weeks though I have started a course and have been pushing myself to get thi... View more

Hello. I'm new to this . I have struggled with depression and anxiety for a while. The last 5 months have been hard. Barely want to get out of bed most days. In the last few weeks though I have started a course and have been pushing myself to get things done. I have been feeling better. But still have bad days where I just feel numb or really low. I am going to go see a psychologist. My biggest struggle atm is that I'm 25 and have no close friends or family that want to be around me. I find I can't maintain conversation or find anything interesting to talk about. I don't 'click' with anyone and I can tell that I bore people. I feel as though I have no depth and nothing to bring to the table when it comes to friendship so people just aren't interested in my company. I get social anxiety and go into this mode where I am constantly judging myself and what I am saying and I just come of as awkward and boring. I have a son which takes up a lot of my time and don't have a lot of support so starting hobby just seems unachievable. He is delayed in his development so we are constantly having appointments and what not. Plus my course takes up the days he is in care. I just feel isolated. Every friendship I have tried to engage in just seems to dwindle out. Or my depression will get in the way when it gets bad and I will push people away because I will be toxic to be around. I just don't know what to do anymore. People say to just be yourself but I don't even know what that is. I just feel like I'm a shell with nothing inside. I don't want to be 40 one day with no friends or substantial connections. I feel like there is something broken inside of me that just keeps getting in the way and maybe I need to fix this before I can build friendships. I have tried to put myself out there but nothing ever lasts. If I don't initiate a hang out with someone then I don't hear from anyone. No one checks up to see how I am. No one tries to hang out. Not even family. I just really want to fix this. I want feel happy and light and laugh again. I really want friends .

ExDJDazz Hello. I'm new here

Hi This is the first time I've posted. I'm almost 49 years old and feel like I've made a mess out of my life. I was made unemployed ln March last year but now going to TAFE where I feel I am not doing well in my iT course. I have the feeling that I a... View more

Hi This is the first time I've posted. I'm almost 49 years old and feel like I've made a mess out of my life. I was made unemployed ln March last year but now going to TAFE where I feel I am not doing well in my iT course. I have the feeling that I am not going anywhere and I have no support. All my friends were tied up in my former job and none of them get in contact with me anymore. I can turn to my family but a lot of them are toxic narcissistic people who I just can't relate to. I don't feel comfortable opening up to them. I do feel lonely and I don't want to 'lean' on them all the time. Plus lack of money is preying on my mind. I have gone for over 140 jobs but only got a reply from three of them and of course I didn't pass the interviews. I just don't feel wanted by anyone anymore and I can't see much of a future. I've tried to ask for help from TAFE and job providing services but all have lead to a dead end. I'm running out of options and it's hard not to feel like a nobody. I guess I've been living with crippling anxiety and depression for a long time without realising it but it's not easy to ask for help so this in a way is a major step for me. Right now I spend a lot of time alone in my room contemplating stuff. I don't want to be a burden or downer to anybody but I know I am and constantly berate myself for it. I just don't know what to do anymore.

sunshine25 New Member

Hi Everyone, I'd just like to introduce myself briefly. I have always struggled with symptoms of anxiety and recently, battling a constant state of sadness as well. My siblings have all struggled with mental illness and I guess I've never let known m... View more

Hi Everyone, I'd just like to introduce myself briefly. I have always struggled with symptoms of anxiety and recently, battling a constant state of sadness as well. My siblings have all struggled with mental illness and I guess I've never let known my feelings because I don't want my mum and family going through any more pain than they have. My whole life, I've always been described as 'happy' and 'bubbly' by others, always giving them help but have found it really hard to admit and seek help myself. Although I manage to get out of bed everyday and live like what looks to be a 'normally functioning lifestyle', I find myself crying and feeling a sense of worthlessness everyday when I'm alone. I haven't quite found the courage to speak to someone face to face but found myself at breaking point today, looking for help on the internet. I found this forum and found solace in reading everyone's stories knowing I'm not alone. This is my first step.

Onedayatatimeforme Newbie to joining in.Been reading forums for a while
  • replies: 4

Hi all . I have already found wisdom in many of your posts so thank you. I have had anxiety in the past . It has always subsided within a few weeks . This time is so very different . It just will not go away . I tried one antidepressant but had a rea... View more

Hi all . I have already found wisdom in many of your posts so thank you. I have had anxiety in the past . It has always subsided within a few weeks . This time is so very different . It just will not go away . I tried one antidepressant but had a reaction to it . I have many physical symptoms such as racing heartbeat ,high blood pressure ,numbness in hands a lot of the time and constantly feeling like heat prickles are on my shoulders and in chest .My lower arms feel these sensations too .My head has been the worst though .A constant headache for 6 months is slowly easing with meds.My bad cholesterol is up too ,so this anxiety is playing havoc with my body and mind . I do not sleep much either . New GP has been helpful with an anti depressant that in tne small dose I take ,acts as headache tablet and is supposed to help sleep . Sounds like a whinge when I read this back ,but it isn't. Too me it is hard going and I know there is support and real understanding here .

Johnny74 New person here.
  • replies: 3

It's about time that I signed up here. I'm tired of feeling depressed all the time. I deserve to be happy like other people. Where do I go from here? Can anyone help and point me in the right direction? Are there any groups for other sufferers? View more

It's about time that I signed up here. I'm tired of feeling depressed all the time. I deserve to be happy like other people. Where do I go from here? Can anyone help and point me in the right direction? Are there any groups for other sufferers?