Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Melexanie Hi
  • replies: 1

Hi Everyone, Hope you are having a great day. I'm new here, wanting to get advice and hopefully give advice to others in the same situation as I am. I am married with 2 children - my 12yr old son was diagnosed with ASD/ADHD/Severe Anxiety, Depression... View more

Hi Everyone, Hope you are having a great day. I'm new here, wanting to get advice and hopefully give advice to others in the same situation as I am. I am married with 2 children - my 12yr old son was diagnosed with ASD/ADHD/Severe Anxiety, Depression/Sensory Issues and Behavioural Issues. My 10yr old daughter is currently going through assessment for ASD and Generalised Anxiety. And my husband has undiagnosed ASD, Generalised Anxiety and a highly addicted gamer. Looking forward to chatting

Timmyabcd Social Anxiety is stopping my gaining employment
  • replies: 3

I'm 19 years old and think i have social anxiety, i feel as though everyone is judging me and looking at me. I avoid crowds, and i can't eat in front of people as i feel they are judging me. I overthink everything, and stress and have panic attacks. ... View more

I'm 19 years old and think i have social anxiety, i feel as though everyone is judging me and looking at me. I avoid crowds, and i can't eat in front of people as i feel they are judging me. I overthink everything, and stress and have panic attacks. I am finding it hard to get a job, any words of advice to help me overcome this?

Elle871223 Infertility help
  • replies: 5

Hi, I could really use some support and help. Im suffering from major anxiety and depression. I rarely want to get out of bed (I do but its difficult). My job is demanding and stressful ( I get no support). I have a lot to be grateful for but my fami... View more

Hi, I could really use some support and help. Im suffering from major anxiety and depression. I rarely want to get out of bed (I do but its difficult). My job is demanding and stressful ( I get no support). I have a lot to be grateful for but my family amd parnter also add a lot of stress. I have been trying to get pregnant and have done all of the fertility tests and I have a low egg count. Everytime I am late it seems I am filled with so much hope and then I get my period and im left empty. I feel like I am not coping well with anything and everything is overwhelming. I dont want to keep going like this but I dont really see any options or ways out. Any support or experiences would be much appreciated.

Tiger101 I can't cope with quiet
  • replies: 4

I am having so much trouble with anxiety in my home, I have a terrible tendency to not be able to handle certain noises yet not be able to handle no noice at the same time. I live in quite a stressful environment with 4 children that aren't mine, 3 d... View more

I am having so much trouble with anxiety in my home, I have a terrible tendency to not be able to handle certain noises yet not be able to handle no noice at the same time. I live in quite a stressful environment with 4 children that aren't mine, 3 dogs and 3 cats that live in my room. The noice of the children can really stress me out so much to the point that I can't go to the bathroom or eat properly and I feel like im panicking and can get very upset. However even when the house is quiet I feel panicked. If I have a bath I can not turn the water off at all because I can't handle not hearing the sound of the water running. I empty it and refill and empty and refill and I know its so wasteful but I cant stop myself. When I am lying in bed and the house is quiet at night in just my room I turn on the electric heater, the aircon and the fan all at once because I will panic without hearing them running. If I am sitting in my room right now I have a movie playing that I am not even watching just to hear a noise in the background. I am well aware that because I have always lived in a small and very chaotic household that I most likely am comfortable with hearing noises and that is why I always have to be hearing something but it really is getting to the point where it is bothering me all day every day, I am so unhappy, I have a very very high stress life and am stuck in stressful relationships that I can't escape. I am so so uncomfortable with the noise problems that I gave, its like if I hear the wrong sounds I panic but if I hear no sound I panic too. I don't want to be like that all the time I really don't understand why I can never sit comfortably in silence or be okay with hearing the children play. Please help me understand, I thought I might be noice sensitive but then no noise freaks me out too and I don't understand how I can feel both of those or how I can control them.

star pup Forum suggestion?
  • replies: 8

I am a newbie here as of today, i have made my "super long introduction" first post and since then i have read through a few threads and comments and i would like to offer a suggestion. I am an active member on a different support forum unrelated to ... View more

I am a newbie here as of today, i have made my "super long introduction" first post and since then i have read through a few threads and comments and i would like to offer a suggestion. I am an active member on a different support forum unrelated to here and i have noticed something lacking on b.b that i feel would be beneficial having seen some recent posts by the more established/long term members here. A "greetings/introductions" area for newbies/new members perhaps? A place for people to introduce themselves, where posts wont dissapear as quickly into the depths of time and to the back pages, a place where those that have good advice and time to comment can welcome our new members. I feel this category would be a worthwhile addition to b.b, which, being a forum that offers support, a friendly word and also advice would help all newer members fit in and feel welcomed and happy to contribute further. Because, lets face it, we all know why we are here, for support, and to talk things through, and hey, what could be worse than a first post that no one replies to, or one that just disappears into the depths of time? Anyway i better go, bye for now! Star pup ^.^

Kattt I feel frozen
  • replies: 1

Hi there, I feel frozen and unable to do anything, like everything around me is moving to fast and I can’t catch up. I just want everything around me to stop so I can catch up - I can barely focus or concentrate. So I am spending each day basically i... View more

Hi there, I feel frozen and unable to do anything, like everything around me is moving to fast and I can’t catch up. I just want everything around me to stop so I can catch up - I can barely focus or concentrate. So I am spending each day basically in bed, sleeping and using what little energy left over to do try and focus to do the bare minimum to keep the house ticking over. I know the way out is to re-engage, but amongst other things I am afraid of facing the consequences of my inactivity for the past 3 weeks (especially with my work and now being faced not being able to support myself and my Neice who is in my care) and part of me seems like it is refusing to commit to helping myself. I have lived with depression and anxiety for most of my life, mainly anxiety as a child but I didn’t know it at the time. I am 43 years old and feel like I keep reliving the same pattern of getting well and then things falling apart, the same mistakes. In some ways it feels like I am sabotaging myself which I find distressing. On a positive note, I did see my doctor a couple of weeks ago and asked for a referral to a psychiatrist and I have been seeing a psychologist on and off for the past 3 years, and just reconnected and made an appointment for next week on Wednesday. I think that signing up here helped me make that phone call to book the appointment with the psychologist. I recognise a lot of my thoughts are the depression /anxiety talking and am warding them off, but it is taking most of me to do so and am not functioning as I need in the rest of my life. Does anyone else feel the same? Or sick of the repeat patterns of ups and downs? Thanks for listening

Spongie Newbie
  • replies: 5

Hey everyone, I'm new here I'm just hoping to get a little support and direction on some anxiety I have been dealing with recently. TIA

Hey everyone, I'm new here I'm just hoping to get a little support and direction on some anxiety I have been dealing with recently. TIA

Lilah_R Health Anxiety, is it really anxiety
  • replies: 2

Hi, this is my first time posting. I'm wondering if anyone else has the same or similar symptoms as I do. I got sick a few yrs ago with nothing too major just kept getting misdiagnosed which caused it to go on for 9 months. Ever since then I seem to ... View more

Hi, this is my first time posting. I'm wondering if anyone else has the same or similar symptoms as I do. I got sick a few yrs ago with nothing too major just kept getting misdiagnosed which caused it to go on for 9 months. Ever since then I seem to get sick all the time. I can't go 2 weeks without getting what is like a tummy bug. I feel hot, nausea, mild diarrhea, headaches & it last for usually 3 to 5 days. I no longer go to work as I am always taking time off. I have had so many blood tests, MRI, scans etc but they are all clear so the dr says it's anxiety. I am now on medication which I thought was helping I had gone almost 7 weeks without that feeling, then out of nowhere it came back. Is this really anxiety or am I catching some bug over & over again? No one in my family gets sick with it. I'm not sure how much longer I can go on like this. I miss the old energetic mum & wife I used to be. I feel afraid that this will be my life forever & no one can help. Does anyone else have these symptoms? Thanks

Prada55 Light Headed
  • replies: 4

Why is it that when you stress you encourage light headiness this scares me so much.. It starts this cycle of fear and then I'm forever on the look out

Why is it that when you stress you encourage light headiness this scares me so much.. It starts this cycle of fear and then I'm forever on the look out