Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Tim1990 I know something is wrong with me
  • replies: 5

Hi everyone, I'm posting because I believe it gets better. I moved out of my parents house at 20 because I just couldn't handle it anymore and honestly probably lived anxiety free for a while. I got a job in a restaurant and it all kind of disappeare... View more

Hi everyone, I'm posting because I believe it gets better. I moved out of my parents house at 20 because I just couldn't handle it anymore and honestly probably lived anxiety free for a while. I got a job in a restaurant and it all kind of disappeared. I think the fact that I was forced to talk to customers and I could be anyone I wanted to be was soothing. My brother needed a room mate and I figured why not. I then quit my job because I thought I could get another easily and soon. This is kind of where it got bad. I won't go into too much detail but these were some things I did. I would hide from my brother, not leave the house until he was gone in case he saw me. I've stayed in my room for full days without food. I had a friend who'd come over regardless if I picked up or not. I ignored his calls and he just rocked up one time. From that point whenever he called I'd pack up and drive 10-15 minutes away and stay in my car for hours until I thought he wouldn't be near to see me. I don't go in the kitchen to cook. I buy canned foods, pre made stuff and store it in my room. Stopped all contact with anyone. This went on for maybe 3 months. Family decides to open a restaurant, I have a job again. My life is still the same during the job except it's only at home when im scared. We close restaurant and it's back. Today I had a defrosted pizza because I thought I'd have time today to chuck it in the oven real quick. But I didn't hear him leave and his door was only slightly open instead of fully open so I couldn't tell if he was home. I brought mum's sandwich press thing thinking I could have some hot food in my room but it's way too loud. I try to be as quiet as possible in my room, don't want my brother to hear anything. I'm writing this post in a carpark 5 minutes from the house. Waiting until it's 6:00 so when he gets home he won't think I've been in my room all day. I think I'm pretty good at faking it. No one really knows except maybe my sister. After typing this all out, sounds like I just need a job and move out. I would like some help but this feels mild compared to the other posts on here. I understand this isn't the usual format people have used on here and I don't really know what I'm trying to get out of posting this. I haven't sought after any help because I feel like I know the solution. Find something bigger than this anxiety. Just haven't found it yet. Thanks for reading through my thoughts.

Sotired86 Anyone on? New here
  • replies: 5

Hey, just wondering if anyone is avail to chat? I’m struggling a bit tonight, it feels like I’m shaking on the inside - chest/anxiety tremors?? Anyone experience these? Hope to chat

Hey, just wondering if anyone is avail to chat? I’m struggling a bit tonight, it feels like I’m shaking on the inside - chest/anxiety tremors?? Anyone experience these? Hope to chat

Rbilsy15 Introducing Myself
  • replies: 4

Hello, My name is Richard and I am a 32 year old teacher that struggles massively with anxiety. I have recently started a new job and have struggled to settle in, leaving me worried about my own mental health and how it is effecting those around me. ... View more

Hello, My name is Richard and I am a 32 year old teacher that struggles massively with anxiety. I have recently started a new job and have struggled to settle in, leaving me worried about my own mental health and how it is effecting those around me. I have lived interstate and overseas and worked as a teacher for 10 years and have started numerous jobs. I often worry about the work I am doing and an EAP has identified I might have Imposter Syndrome. I have currently been in this new role for a term and struggled from day one to the point I was in tears and had to force myself to get in the car and go to work. I find it difficult to build new friendships with people and am very shy as I care too much about what others opinions are of me. The term continued to be hard and I took a few days of for mental health. I informed my line manager that I was struggling though received little support from them as they where young and seemed inexperienced in dealing with such cases. I have recently found out that the school goes through large turnover each year which has also added to my concern. My room itself is at the farthest end of the school and not in a block which also leads me to feeling isolated from those around me as well as there is zero phone reception in the room so I can't even contact friends or my partner to discuss how I am feeling. The job is also effecting the rest of my life. I was an avid basketball player and played 3 times a week socially with friends as well as going to the gym. I find I can't enjoy these things as I get thoughts I am wasting time enjoying myself that I should be doing work to perfect everything. My partner is very supportive though I can feel I am not being a great boyfriend to her as I was in the past and she is worried about my mental health. Tomorrow I go back to work and I am dreading it. I know if I left I would be happy but I am not sure of the process involved as well as the fact I despise confrontation and letting people down. I often hope that something would happen out of my control that would prevent me from facing this and going in to work. Apologies for the long message but it was good to get out how I am feeling in some form.

Robbo72 new to beyond blue
  • replies: 1

Hello forum members, 46 year old male , happily married with a 3 year old girl and 5 year old boy. Have been suffering anxiety and depression since I was 41 due to a home invasion burglary/ attack. This left me with some visual scars but they seem to... View more

Hello forum members, 46 year old male , happily married with a 3 year old girl and 5 year old boy. Have been suffering anxiety and depression since I was 41 due to a home invasion burglary/ attack. This left me with some visual scars but they seem to cut deeper. I will have a look around the forum and make myself more well known moving forward. Thanks.

Kelly_Anne Anxiety
  • replies: 3

Hi, I’m Kelly. I have horrible anxiety where I vomit and feel I cannot breathe at times. Lately it has been awful! I have tried everything natural to keep calm. I would like to let people know you are not on your own with anxiety or depression! It is... View more

Hi, I’m Kelly. I have horrible anxiety where I vomit and feel I cannot breathe at times. Lately it has been awful! I have tried everything natural to keep calm. I would like to let people know you are not on your own with anxiety or depression! It is an awful thing to live with. I’m always exhausted from fighting my emotions

Kapper Finally joined!
  • replies: 4

Hi . I have taken a long time to even consider joining . myriad of excuses main ones being that no one would understand and way too self conscious. I am not sure where to go from here. I will read posts I suppose and go from there?

Hi . I have taken a long time to even consider joining . myriad of excuses main ones being that no one would understand and way too self conscious. I am not sure where to go from here. I will read posts I suppose and go from there?

Ian1975 Introduction to just me, Ian 
  • replies: 2

Hi, obviously from subject title my name is Ian, male and approx 43yo, although who keeps track after 40 hey. I live with my partner in an apartment. For all my life I have lived as the older brother, strong friend to people I know or just meet, work... View more

Hi, obviously from subject title my name is Ian, male and approx 43yo, although who keeps track after 40 hey. I live with my partner in an apartment. For all my life I have lived as the older brother, strong friend to people I know or just meet, workmate and been very highly successful in a management career. Four years ago though the tower all came down when I suffered what I now know as major depression and anxiety, something I knew others suffered from but not me, and since then I have been fighting ever since ... i) to even understand my mental illness and ii) how to move on. I remember being stuck overseas for a work trip not able to come home, I remember my 40th birthday party not even knowing I could show my face, I remember not being able to start my new dream job I had accepted, I remember my long term partner walking away my fault, I remember all the attempts at treatment afterwards, hurting friends or family who felt I wasn't trying hard enough also true, I remember feeling so lost I didn't have feelings anymore or like anything, the pain each morning in my heart my body my head, eventually so negative I didn't know whether I could keep going on ... but somehow Ia still here, still trying to understand, work out new path for me and help others with my experiences learnt so far ... I hope to be your friend and learn from you too, one minute one hour one day and month at a time

Aaaggghhh Upset and Angry
  • replies: 3

Hi, in new to this and don’t know really where to start but I am obviously here for a reason. i have always throughout my whole life been a very chilled and relaxed person until ver recently. I unexpectedly lost my brother who was only 29- I don’t ha... View more

Hi, in new to this and don’t know really where to start but I am obviously here for a reason. i have always throughout my whole life been a very chilled and relaxed person until ver recently. I unexpectedly lost my brother who was only 29- I don’t have a close family and growing up my brother and I were closest in age so stuck together had a similar group of friends and had the same humour. My brother followed a path that lead him to drugs, Kai etc but I never judged him and loved him. I remember receiving the phone called that he had died- I did not cry at all I just fell nothing and carried on my day as normal and went to work the following day. i don’t have a close family but mum and my sister are very close. I found that in the 2 weeks leading up to the funeralum, dad and my sisters spent a lot time together- I was never invited. I just kept thinking it may have been because I had no reaction to my brothers death and they all did which made it awkward. After telling my partner that my brother had died his first response was “ oh we knew that was going to happen” and kept telling me that - your family isn’t that close but the reality My brother and I were the two youngest were close and we both knew more about each other and spoke all the time. I never mentioned much about him to my partner as he did not really get along or like him. The day of his funeral came and again I still did not cry but guess what my partner did so I was there to make sure he was ok. its been about 10 weeks and I just find that I get really any and frustrated at stuff and snap all the time. The last few week I have just completely cut people out of my life as I feel like I’m going to explode. Sometimes I walk at night around the streets to help calm down- I find that I want to cry but I don’t cry however I feel like I can’t breath. what is wrong with me???