Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Jaycbee Old Dog Needing New Tricks
  • replies: 3

I have suffered social anxiety most of my life but have only just been able identify what is wrong with me. Coming up to 60 its amazing I have finally found a group that I fit into and have some hope for the future. I have two great girls who have gr... View more

I have suffered social anxiety most of my life but have only just been able identify what is wrong with me. Coming up to 60 its amazing I have finally found a group that I fit into and have some hope for the future. I have two great girls who have grown into wonderful balanced young women. Throughout childhood I was shy, a home body, sensitive. I have been perceived to be independent, capable and focused. Inside I feel I am a failure even though I have achieved so much in my lifetime. I have relocated to Qld from NSW to try to again. No friends, no family, a job I am struggling with and a realisation that I can't keep doing this alone even though I have repeated this behaviour on numerous occasions. I have hobbies which seem to keep me isolated because of my fear of rejection. Basically I know whats wrong but am struggling to break the cliche cycle. Even writing this I know the tone is defensive. I need to learn some new tricks to overcome my anxiety - reading through some of the forum posts has helped so thank you all.

Janlee New member
  • replies: 2

Hi there I'm new to this online support so hopefully I can share and learn

Hi there I'm new to this online support so hopefully I can share and learn

Jodzstar New member
  • replies: 1

Thankyou for the ad . Hi I suffer from panic disorder , anxiety 24/7 , health anxiety , over thinking etc So most days 6 out of 7 I have anxiety . I can’t relax , my mind won’t stop thinking the worst , I constantly checking my pulse feeling for miss... View more

Thankyou for the ad . Hi I suffer from panic disorder , anxiety 24/7 , health anxiety , over thinking etc So most days 6 out of 7 I have anxiety . I can’t relax , my mind won’t stop thinking the worst , I constantly checking my pulse feeling for missed heart beats , tunnel vision , off balance , lightheaded , nausea, weak legs , racing heart , de realisation, detachment , foggy vision, heart skips and the list goes on . when I have a panic attack it feels if my heart is in a washing machine , I want to vomit , diarrhoea , like I’m about to have a heart attack or stroke , blood pressure can go up to 180/120 , and then as if calming down my whole body will shake uncontrollably starting with my legs and I’m cold . Am I alone here ? Does anyone else get these symptoms . I’m at my wits end . Im not on meds everyday as I have trouble with side effects . But I do have medication when needed . I’m at the stage I want to take one everyday . Feeling alone with this .

Mciaacp Saying hello
  • replies: 6

Hi, new to the forums - literally just signed up. 30 yo, cis she/hers. I think I’m hoping to find people to talk to here. I feel pretty isolated and I feel I have a whole two people (my husband and one friend) I can talk to, but I don’t want to burde... View more

Hi, new to the forums - literally just signed up. 30 yo, cis she/hers. I think I’m hoping to find people to talk to here. I feel pretty isolated and I feel I have a whole two people (my husband and one friend) I can talk to, but I don’t want to burden them anymore. I think I have generalised anxiety disorder - I use “think” because my psychologist seemed reluctant to give me the diagnosis at the time, and I haven’t seen her in 6 months or so. A lot of it seems to just be feelings of worthlessness, shame, lonely-but-also-hating-social-gatherings. And feeling trapped with commitments that I can’t say no to. And a whole lot of money-related anxiety.

silencemaker new

Hi I'm an attention seeker I'm a bit nice one i blocked all my friends and deleted all my SNS accounts I don't know if I wanna fix this problem but I guess I sometimes do want to do something about it I have two part-time jobs and I'm a full-time uni... View more

Hi I'm an attention seeker I'm a bit nice one i blocked all my friends and deleted all my SNS accounts I don't know if I wanna fix this problem but I guess I sometimes do want to do something about it I have two part-time jobs and I'm a full-time uni student so I'm not just lying on my bed but I can't stop thinking about like about the thing I wake up crying too often and I guess I deserve it

Ebi Exhaustion and postnatal depression triggering relationship problems

First, I just want to say how much I appreciate this forum space. The champions and valued members writing on here, responding to new people, are so dedicated and compassionate. I am 38. I have 3 children. The youngest is 7 months old. The last 6-7 m... View more

First, I just want to say how much I appreciate this forum space. The champions and valued members writing on here, responding to new people, are so dedicated and compassionate. I am 38. I have 3 children. The youngest is 7 months old. The last 6-7 months have been awful. I have really struggled with having two little children (my eldest is 19). About 2 months ago, I really hit rock bottom because the two kids were taking turns waking me up every 1 -1&1/2 and I really struggled with the sleep deprivation. I’ve always loved my sleep…I ended up at my mum’s with the baby for a week and left my husband with the 3 &1/2-year-old so I could deal with ‘just’ the baby at night. I can’t tell whether it is exhaustion or postnatal depression and anxiety. I have a history of depression but not so much anxiety. But over the last six months the anxiety and tension have been nearly unbearable. As the sleep situation slightly improved (only through ridiculous measures: my husband is now sleeping in with the 3 &1/2-year-old to keep her quiet at night) I have found the tension reducing and the depression becoming more dominant. I’ve been to the parenting centre for help with settling and postnatal depression. Been to my GP, back on my antidepressants (which I ceased in the last trimester). Got a MHCP but haven’t found a psychologist yet. Reduced the pressure by not trying to go back to work several weeks ago, and using the days that the 3&1/2-year-old is at childcare to go for a walk and have a sleep. I’ve been trying to be mindful and appreciative. Things are getting easier as the baby gets older, but…. Now I find myself struggling in my relationship with my husband…he doesn’t work. He hasn’t really worked the whole time we’ve been together (14 years). Which means that he is around at home and we are really sharing the parenting a lot (makes me wonder why I’ve found the whole thing so hard given that there has been two of us doing it). But I keep thinking he should be able to do more, even though he says he’s trying to do as much as he can. He’s an introvert. He doesn’t do things socially with me much. He doesn’t really talk to people. I think he’s got undiagnosed depression and anxiety. We had a really tense and difficult year leading up to the birth of the baby (not relationship issues; external stressors). We’ve both been struggling. I’m trying to get myself together but often I feel dragged back down by his mood and behaviour. There’s more to say but no space…

Witchylu Anxiety, it's so hard for dr's to believe

I'm in my 40's and I've suffered anxiety for a more than half my life. I also have depression. My depression is under control, I'm in depression meds and Seeing a therapist. My main problem is how to make my doctor Believe that I really truly have an... View more

I'm in my 40's and I've suffered anxiety for a more than half my life. I also have depression. My depression is under control, I'm in depression meds and Seeing a therapist. My main problem is how to make my doctor Believe that I really truly have anxiety and I need medication for that. A lot of the times I get that breathing difficulty where I can't just relax. Breathing into a paper bag works sometime But I can't do that all the time in public. I am never given anything for that. I get told to do exercise, go window shopping Go for a walk etc. They never prescribe me anything and I don't know why. Can someone please tell me? I don't have any addictions apart from chocolate. I never smoked. How do others get prescribed when I can't? I know I'm a pushover and people walk all over me, I'm too much of a shy person. Btw, I scored 33 this month on the anxiety test and it was a good month

Haley87 Feeling anxious so much you feel like your going insane

I met a guy who tried to play games with me, he tried to push me into something I wasn’t. He’s trying to make me feel like I’m insane and crazy. He’s tried to give me dibilitating anxiety that I can’t leave the house. Every time I put the boundaries ... View more

I met a guy who tried to play games with me, he tried to push me into something I wasn’t. He’s trying to make me feel like I’m insane and crazy. He’s tried to give me dibilitating anxiety that I can’t leave the house. Every time I put the boundaries up he pushes them back down.

kate_c My friend was killed and I cant talk about it

6 months ago one of my good friends was killed in a car crash and died instantly. I knew her through work so none of my family members ever met her. I don't often show talk about things that are bothering me and especially not Lucy's death. I've talk... View more

6 months ago one of my good friends was killed in a car crash and died instantly. I knew her through work so none of my family members ever met her. I don't often show talk about things that are bothering me and especially not Lucy's death. I've talked about her maybe 3 times over the past 6 months, and my family just say 'lucy who?' not even knowing who im talking about. I know they didn't know her, but no one has even asked me if I'm ok or how I am, even after the memorial. Sometimes I just feel so alone in all of this, and I have no real avenue to talk about it. My family makes me feel bad for me not wanting to talk about it, but I still dont know how I feel, I can't even say her name without crying. My mum tells me that Im turning into a hermit and it is unhealthy to not be able to talk about her death (this was 2 days after she died), insinuating that I should be able to talk about her death openly and freely as if it were nothing. I don't know what I'm looking for here, somewhere to talk, or just someone to listen.

Budgie333 Need help understanding

Hey I’m in need of some help understanding anxiety? I have a close friend who suffers from anxiety. But I know very little about it! Can anyone here please help me try to understand what anxiety is & possible things I can do to help my friend?

Hey I’m in need of some help understanding anxiety? I have a close friend who suffers from anxiety. But I know very little about it! Can anyone here please help me try to understand what anxiety is & possible things I can do to help my friend?