Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

TomoYou Pure Obsessive Thoughts - I need to know i am not alone
  • replies: 1

I suffer from intrusive and unwanted thoughts regarding the safety, possessions, of others and sometimes put it on myself to make sure others can lead a safe life. These feelings are unbearable at times and i am constantly battling. I decided to join... View more

I suffer from intrusive and unwanted thoughts regarding the safety, possessions, of others and sometimes put it on myself to make sure others can lead a safe life. These feelings are unbearable at times and i am constantly battling. I decided to join Beyond Blue today after having a episode about something i moved at the work office. The thing i moved had someones possessions next to it and now i am worried about being responsible for damaging his/her property. Anyone every experienced this? Or a similar scenario

Daniilost I can't breathe... I can't cope any more

Hello, I'm Danii.... I am struggling so bad with depression and anxiety at the moment. I"m pushing the people I love away and I don't mean to

Hello, I'm Danii.... I am struggling so bad with depression and anxiety at the moment. I"m pushing the people I love away and I don't mean to

kurtb feeling loney and depressed

hi guys , im new to all this I didn't even have a email up until now lol. soo iv been out of jail for a yr now I served 5 yrs with my best friend he served 4 . we have been best friends for as long as I can rember more like brothers we have a lot of ... View more

hi guys , im new to all this I didn't even have a email up until now lol. soo iv been out of jail for a yr now I served 5 yrs with my best friend he served 4 . we have been best friends for as long as I can rember more like brothers we have a lot of friends but not as close or the kind of bond we share we do everything together .so right before going to jail we joind a gang 'soo stupid I look back now an cant beleve how stupid I was its so embarrising ' so my mate dose his 4 yrs an I still have a yr to go I ring him regulary I can see things are weird between us now like hes taking this gang shit way to seroz, I ended up waking up to my self an I think I just grew up over the yrs .I rang him one day an explained to him how stupid this shit is an im leaving were to good for these idiots to his reply oh yea im happy im not leaving .that hurt things changed after that I still rang him every few weeks but it was arcward. so I finally get out an I cant hang with him anymore he was my brother he should have left with me I would of done that for him if I loved it like he dose but any way im so hurt over this its not funny I lost my best mate just like that . before going to jail I had so many friends but after 1 yr they stop visiting u and ur forgotten . so when I got out I had them calling me coming to my house but I couldn't look at them knowing they forgot me inside for yrs , so now iv pushed every one away im lonely as I don't have a best friend or anyone I can call my true friend .I find my self bored all the time I miss my old life when I was out with mates everyday having fun .weeknds I just sit at home depressed even cry sometimes . not sure what to do any more. sorry for the novel but I thought I had to go into detail so yous understand my situation thanks for reading

Kylie20 Anxiety and Heartburn/reflux
  • replies: 4

Hi guys, I am a first time poster. I have suffered anxiety and certain times in my life usually around outside events eg: job changes, relationships etc but have always managed to control it and bring myself back to the ‘now’ The last two months it h... View more

Hi guys, I am a first time poster. I have suffered anxiety and certain times in my life usually around outside events eg: job changes, relationships etc but have always managed to control it and bring myself back to the ‘now’ The last two months it has been quite extreme anxiety everyday regarding my health. As a lot of the other threads it taking something small and usually a sensation that goes unnoticed and turning it into something massive. Being that it’s something within my body I am finding it hard to bring myself back to the ‘now’ I have noticed that the last few days I have had bad reflux/heartburn to the point of my throat being irritated and burning chest. Last night I woke up in a panic. My mind tells me that the anxiety came first and that it can wreak havoc on your body and it wasn’t the other way around. Just wondering if it is a symptom that anyone else has experienced? I will try a good anti acid today and am thinking it’s time to find another GP (they tend to brush off anything when you mention anxiety) and express how I am feeling, my symptoms and a referral to a psychologist. Also off to see a spiritual healer for some reiki/reading to see if she can shed some light on what is going on. Just looking for some reassurance that everything I am experiencing is normal. Thank you to all of you.

Charmie My son's death

My 34 year old son died alone in his Sydney flat 8 weeks ago. He wasn't found for 6 days. I had sent him a harsh email about 'getting his act together' during that time so I thought he wasn't talking to me. I found out after he died that he had been ... View more

My 34 year old son died alone in his Sydney flat 8 weeks ago. He wasn't found for 6 days. I had sent him a harsh email about 'getting his act together' during that time so I thought he wasn't talking to me. I found out after he died that he had been using drugs (ice) for years. I have never felt such pain. I really cannot believe I will ever feel better. Everything reminds me of him. He was my only child and I don't have a partner. I feel like my personality has changed. I have so many of his belongings here and in other places but I cannot possibly face going through it now, or ever. Is this OK? He was a 'tech head' and kept every electronic device he could get his hands on. He was a very loving son and sent me many cards and notes over the years. I am crying writing this. What do people do with these things? I have been to 3 counsellors who all say the same thing: you will feel better eventually. This doesn't help me because I can hardly bear each day, let alone weeks, months, years of this pain. I had so little empathy for other people before this happened: absolutely no idea about grief, so I guess that's one positive; I now have empathy. I can't believe the things some people survive. It gives me strength to hear their stories but it doesn't help my pain. I would appreciate some advice about what I can do with his belongings. Thanks for listening.

Miss_Health_Anxiety So worried I have bowel cancer -first post

Hi Everyone, This week I found out I have low iron and blood in my stool through positive FOBT test. I’m 38 years old and have been having narrower and softer stools more often. I feel fullness and heaviness in the bowls but the frustrating part is y... View more

Hi Everyone, This week I found out I have low iron and blood in my stool through positive FOBT test. I’m 38 years old and have been having narrower and softer stools more often. I feel fullness and heaviness in the bowls but the frustrating part is you can’t even trust your own symptoms with anxiety. Don’t know if it’s anxiety related symptoms or cancer symptoms! I have read that this could be many other things but I’m convinced it’s Stage 4 colon cancer. I was diagnosed with ibs five years ago and had a ct scan of my bowel which was clear but now Im pissed off with myself for not having a colonoscopy as the scan had probably missed a polpt and the radiation has caused it to grow rapidly. I haven’t slept in the last two nights, I’m off my food and I can’t be in the moment at all with my family. I’m basically a shell I’m moving around but not present locked away in my other worries about bowel cancer. I worry most about being put under for a colonoscopy only to wake up to the doctor saying I have advanced cancer. I couldn’t cope with even early cancer as I would constantly be in fear of mestases.

Katze Hello, I am new here
  • replies: 2

Hello, my first time posting here just wanted to introduce myself and say hi, I’m happy I have found this forum feeling lost

Hello, my first time posting here just wanted to introduce myself and say hi, I’m happy I have found this forum feeling lost

Cahli Mental Health and Persistent Pain

Hi. I'm Cahli. I'm here because I don't know where else to go. I currently suffer from persistent pain in my lower back, due to Grade 3 Spondylolisthesis. And I feel so alone. I have been to talk to my Dr.'s (Yep plural), who have mentioned that due ... View more

Hi. I'm Cahli. I'm here because I don't know where else to go. I currently suffer from persistent pain in my lower back, due to Grade 3 Spondylolisthesis. And I feel so alone. I have been to talk to my Dr.'s (Yep plural), who have mentioned that due to my condition i will be suffering from stress, anxiety and depression, however the help has never gone past a mention. I have said outright that im not coping, but it has all just been brushed aside. I have tried to turn to people around me, I have said outright "Im not ok, im not coping" and the subject quickly changes. I am a mum of 2 young children. And it is hard. My partner works away 10days then 4 home, and he is amazing. But its still hard. And I just don't know how I can keep doing this. Its hard to ask for help, its even harder to keep asking when you get dismissed so easily. And harder again when I've run out of people to turn to. I don't know what more I can do. Its not just depression or anxiety, its the pain I deal with each day, its the not having ANYONE I can talk to or anyone for support. Its the dismissal when i try to reach out, its the rejection. Its also the invisible disability and pain for basic care needs of not just myself, but my kids; that noone can see. Its the feeling of needing someone i can talk to about ALL of this, but looking around and seeing noone. Its the feeling of being invisible, even to 'health care workers'. And im just sooo tired. What can I do? My physical activity is limited I eat a balanced diet I meditate I take minerals and supplements I use magnesium I list off throughout the day things I am grateful for I sit in my garden, sun on my face, and just BE. But its just not enough.

Risk I’m struggling and I can’t get out of my own head
  • replies: 3

Hi my name is Richie and I feel so alone right now I wish I had someone to talk to I’ve got something called BDD and I feel like I can’t control myself and I’m so depressed and down all I think about is disappearing I’m struggling to stay afloat.

Hi my name is Richie and I feel so alone right now I wish I had someone to talk to I’ve got something called BDD and I feel like I can’t control myself and I’m so depressed and down all I think about is disappearing I’m struggling to stay afloat.