Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Beatit Desperate to feel normal again
  • replies: 21

My first post. Have been suffering anxiety and insomnia for years. Try to do all the right things. Had been on medication for about 7 years which helped a lot. Came off around Oct last year because I thought I was doing well but declining gradually b... View more

My first post. Have been suffering anxiety and insomnia for years. Try to do all the right things. Had been on medication for about 7 years which helped a lot. Came off around Oct last year because I thought I was doing well but declining gradually back to a stressful state. I have removed some stressors in my life to help, I exercise, eat well, little alcohol and caffeine, have a supportive husband, although his snoring doesnt help the sleeplessness. Kids doing well. Elderly mother whose health is failing but good family network is helping so I don't take a lot of burden there. Can't figure out why I'm like this. Life is good except this illness. Am getting help from a few sources, and I read a lot of self help stuff. This forum looks awesome. I was on one when had marriage issues years ago and it was an amazing support to me. I reach out whenever I can. So i just don't get it. What's wrong with me?

Gulgong Nightmares
  • replies: 11

Hi , name Boris! New here and don’t know if I should be posting here or at all! l am70 years old and living in a retirement village, with a lot of residents going through dementia.Of late been having many bad dreams waking in a lather of sweat and wo... View more

Hi , name Boris! New here and don’t know if I should be posting here or at all! l am70 years old and living in a retirement village, with a lot of residents going through dementia.Of late been having many bad dreams waking in a lather of sweat and wondering if I am starting to join them,which scares me don’t know what to do.

paddyanne paddyanne
  • replies: 8

My real name is Lynda. I have worked with mentally and physically disabled adults and children for the past 6 years. Most of them are able to communicate, although sometimes listening to them can be difficult due to speech impediments. I have a yello... View more

My real name is Lynda. I have worked with mentally and physically disabled adults and children for the past 6 years. Most of them are able to communicate, although sometimes listening to them can be difficult due to speech impediments. I have a yellow card which enables me to work with them. I also have had experience with autism in adults. I have found with adults the autism means they are unable to communicate on an adult level. They can communicate, but it's limited to their world and how they view it. I have worked with many Downs Syndrome adults, which can be a challenge. The interesting side of this is not many of these adults suffer depression because, quite simply they have no understanding of depression. They tend to become frustrated if they are unable to be understood, but the frustration is momentary because their attention span is limited and they are easily diverted by music, books or t.v programs. Some of them can become violent if they get really frustrated. The violence is usually in the form of kicking each other or an inanimate object. They are similar to children to a point where they do try and push buttons for reaction purposes. They understand that outings are a privilege which can be removed, so they are generally quite well behaved. Due to health reasons I'm taking a break for now.

mrdjw I'm a loser
  • replies: 4

I suffer from bad depression and anxiety. The other day a Dr told me I should just get over it. My condition has stopped me working. I used to do some acting in local theatre, but a 'friend' made up stories about me that everyone else believed, so my... View more

I suffer from bad depression and anxiety. The other day a Dr told me I should just get over it. My condition has stopped me working. I used to do some acting in local theatre, but a 'friend' made up stories about me that everyone else believed, so my name is dirt as far as that is concerned. I've got no confidence, and though I'm not suicidal I have nothing to look forward to either.

Girrafffe Lost elsewhere
  • replies: 1

I really don’t feel like I’m the same as everyone else. I feel like I’m so different I may as well be a different species. I feel like a little alien that doesn’t belong. Its pathetic and child like and I can’t shake it. I don’t know how to be like e... View more

I really don’t feel like I’m the same as everyone else. I feel like I’m so different I may as well be a different species. I feel like a little alien that doesn’t belong. Its pathetic and child like and I can’t shake it. I don’t know how to be like everyone else. My boyfriend says I have problems with exaggerating, and that people might actually like me if I didn’t exaggerate so much. Im not aware that I exaggerate anything, but maybe when I recall things I recall them wrong? Or am I just terrible at explaining, and I’m wording it all wrong? Sorry for this stupid post. I’m not sure why I am writing it. I’m just confused. I spend most of my day wishing I could dissapear. My ideal fantasy is one where I can dissapear and erase all memory of me and anything else that ever existed. Im not sure how to try to change. Or how I can be better. I don’t even know why I’m so wrong. So how on earth do you get help with that?! This looks like a child has written it. Sorry

NahiV Hello! Feeling lost and uncertain about my future
  • replies: 6

Hello. This is my first post in this forum. A bit about me. I moved to Australia to study in 2015 and met my husband here. I now live with him and his family and they are all lovely. However, I graduated almost two years ago and am still not able to ... View more

Hello. This is my first post in this forum. A bit about me. I moved to Australia to study in 2015 and met my husband here. I now live with him and his family and they are all lovely. However, I graduated almost two years ago and am still not able to find a job in my field of study. Mostly due to my visa status (but I have applied for a permanent visa to stay here which is still in progress). Lately, I have been feeling so emotionally drained, like its hopeless for me to find a good job which will help me and my husband to move out of my in law's place and have a home of our own. My husband has schizophrenia and anxiety and is unable to work right now. I am also always concerned about him and wondering if I am doing enough to support him. I have not seen my own parents for over 3 years and my mum always cries on the phone about missing me and how I am not able to have a career yet. I am turning 27 soon, and I feel like I have achieved nothing. Lately, I have been feeling intense anger and irritation over people around me. I am constantly trying to distract myself with food and tv shows and feeling lethargic and hopeless. I still apply for jobs, but I feel like its useless unless I actually get my PR and people will actually want to hire me for permanent jobs. I feel like a failure, that I am not able to support my husband properly.

asianaussie Post-Work Sadness
  • replies: 5

Hi, 1st post. I'm currently a part-time student studying to be a Beauty Therapist. When I'm not studying, I am working currently at a Salon as part of assigned work experience. But this is not about my current job. Prior to studying, I had worked for... View more

Hi, 1st post. I'm currently a part-time student studying to be a Beauty Therapist. When I'm not studying, I am working currently at a Salon as part of assigned work experience. But this is not about my current job. Prior to studying, I had worked for 3 years at a non-profit retail shop. It had been my 1st job (I was 18), and starting as a part-time volunteer, I was soon promoted to Casual. Yes, it was challenging and stressful at times, but I loved working there, especially my co-workers. They had all been supportive and I've made some good friends from there. They've listened and helped me as much as I helped them. We were pretty much family. Sadly, prolonged financial issues had led to the closure of all this charity's retail stores in Australia. Mine closed last month. I know I'm working now, but I can't help but feel lonely. I'm introverted and been outcasted my whole life, from school, church, even my institution/new work. The people I had worked with had been the closest I had to friends, and being able to work had distracted me from my loneliness and alienation. For once I could finally be myself and share views/issues and have fun being involved in rallies, camps, and adventures. Now it's mainly about studying and working, which is full-on. I've barely had time to connect with people due to the flexible, unpredictable schedule. This work I'm doing is simply all about sales and making money, and working fast-paced and client-oriented with people who are so different. I've already been struggling with bad reviews. My current boss obviously pressures all of us to 'sell well' and 'keep a good reputation'. It's been only a few weeks, but I just don't feel I fit in and doing Beauty may have been a mistake. But I'm contracted to stay until December, and pulling out would be a huge waste. I know it sounds childish to complain. I know work isn't meant to be fun. I'm lucky to be doing Beauty, to be working in a 'wellbeing' industry. I'm lucky I'm getting pay, much more than my former job. Yet I feel empty. I feel lost. I feel lonelier than ever, and I feel stupid during nail work, massaging, waxing whatever. Talking about 'anti-aging benefits' or 'makeup trend' feels more effort compared to political, social issues happening, what I would regularly interact with my former customers and co-workers. Reading the 'bad reviews' and all this are really bogging me down. I just wish life was much kinder and fairer sometimes.

Russ32 Confused and scared
  • replies: 2

Hi, My wife has told me that she needs to find her identity and needs space from everything. We have been together nearly 30 years, married nearly 25. She was only 16 and I only 19 when we got together. We have 2 daughters and and a son who are all a... View more

Hi, My wife has told me that she needs to find her identity and needs space from everything. We have been together nearly 30 years, married nearly 25. She was only 16 and I only 19 when we got together. We have 2 daughters and and a son who are all adults. She has told me that she loves and cares for me but not in love with me. She has moved into the spare room at this stage and has told me when she is ready she will talk. She has stated that once she has sorted herself out, her future plans may or may not include me. I’m so scared that she will leave me as I am still deeply in love with her. I have not always been as helpful in the past with home duties and my son and I have had several physical clashes, although my son and I are currently mending our relationship and he actually is being a great support to me, we are on the right path him and I. She will talk about daily stuff such as work and kids still. We are still grocery shopping together and watching tv. She has said a couple of times to back off if I’ve become a little desperate warning me that this will push her away. Any help or advice from men and women from her perspective and from mine would be greatly appreciated.

LeeAnee Health anxiety
  • replies: 1

Hi there, 1st time poster here I have been suffering with general anxiety for about 2 years and the last 6 months have been hell as I’m worried I have health issues all the time and can’t seem to stop thinking something bad will happen or I’m going t... View more

Hi there, 1st time poster here I have been suffering with general anxiety for about 2 years and the last 6 months have been hell as I’m worried I have health issues all the time and can’t seem to stop thinking something bad will happen or I’m going to die, I’ve had every test I can possibly have from ct scans, blood tests, echos, ECG’s the works and all came but ok apart from my ECG but have been to see a cardiologist and he said it’s nothing to worry about and nothing serious my symptoms change from day to day with dizziness, fatigue, weak legs (jelly legs) muscle pain, nausea and just general worry that something bad is going to happen to me I had a bad break up 2 years ago and left raising my 2 kids alone I do have support from family but hate asking for help, I used to be so happy and enjoy life now it feels like a struggle most days dose anyone else feel this way or can relate?