Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

ESLR Rock bottom?
  • replies: 4

Hi, I'm new to this online thing so here goes nothing. I've been on this forum for a while now just reading through trying to find it in me to post and feeling anxious about how much I should share, just needing to vent and get things off my chest. F... View more

Hi, I'm new to this online thing so here goes nothing. I've been on this forum for a while now just reading through trying to find it in me to post and feeling anxious about how much I should share, just needing to vent and get things off my chest. For the past few years i guess ive been floating through life with no purpose at all. I had a miscarriage a few months ago and haven't been able come back from it. It was a trigger and literally a massive wake up call on how I've wasted so many years not being productive at all. The last few weeks I've pushed away the ones closest to me and I've just isolated myself from everything. I'm about to loose my job, I've lost a few friends and have no one to talk to. My family have been supportive and patient with me but now I feel like I'm just a burden. I'm not one to open up so easily so I barely talk about what im going through, in some ways I feel guilty so I don't say much. The past few days I've been trying to go the GP and chat about this but I don't know how. I get nervous about opening up to a stranger but i know I need to. And the doctor I was seeing with my miscarriage was really cold towards that situation which makes it worst. I haven't slept for well for a while, my mind is in overdrive and constantly worried about everything. I feel guilty for feeling this way because the way I see it is I put myself in this situation, its my fault and now its just...I just don't know what to do.

Em_J Switching Off The Emotions

The past three years has been some of the most challenging in my life. Giving the shortest synopsis I can..my father fell really ill following a surgery. He then contracted sepsis and was dying. His words and his lack of will to live were so distress... View more

The past three years has been some of the most challenging in my life. Giving the shortest synopsis I can..my father fell really ill following a surgery. He then contracted sepsis and was dying. His words and his lack of will to live were so distressing. Through the grace of god he survived but it wasnt without scars. He was bed bound for almost a year and would cry out in tremendous pain everyday. He could hardly walk or doing basic task. It was so unbelievably awful to watch and be strong for him whilst it was happening. He recovered physically after 2 years but mentally the pain is still there. Early this year he tried to take his own life. Once again he pulled through and has been doing alot better which has been so encouraging. As you can imagine reading this, it was pretty hard as his daughter to watch it all happen. Mentally it has broken me so much and ive struggled these past years to move on and be happy. My fiance and I got engaged and that has been amazing but his family cause constant issues and fights between us. We have really been struggling with how awful they have been. I try in all situations to pick myself up and try harder again but this time I just feel so tired. My fiance and I have had another upset discussion because of his family and I have had enough. My brain just simply doesnt want to fight anymore. I feel like a switch has flipped and I no longer have the energy for any emotion. it almost worries me. Is this normal? at what point do I need to start chatting to my doctor and looking for medications to take again. Ive been on and off medication for almost 10years. Ive had a good run off them but now I have just succumbed to the depression yet again. any advice is good advice, Thank so much for reading this

MRSme Newbie
  • replies: 2

Hi, I've been a member of beyond blue for quiet a while, however today is my first post because I decided to bite the bullet and join the forums. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 3 years ago and OCD about 6 months ago. I have come a long w... View more

Hi, I've been a member of beyond blue for quiet a while, however today is my first post because I decided to bite the bullet and join the forums. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 3 years ago and OCD about 6 months ago. I have come a long way in that time but I have felt myself spiralling in the last few weeks hence my decision to post. I feel I needed to have a chat but don't want to burden those around me when I've been going so well lately. My main support network all have a lot going on right now, from work related stress to an overseas trip aproaching quickly, and I know they won't mind but I can't do it to them knowing what their busy lives are like at the moment.

R4R492 Anexity prisoner
  • replies: 1

Loss of sleep due to fighting with my own mind, chest getting tight and them dreaded clammy hot and cold flushes. For what reason does this happen it attacks out of no where, unforgiving and sometimes unbreakable.

Loss of sleep due to fighting with my own mind, chest getting tight and them dreaded clammy hot and cold flushes. For what reason does this happen it attacks out of no where, unforgiving and sometimes unbreakable.

TheSimplifyGuy Mental health and cancer: my story

Hi guys, For a good chunk of my life, I didn't realise I had mental health problems. Even after crippling panic attacks where I couldn't breathe, even after depressing times when I couldn't leave home, it took a while to understand my problems and st... View more

Hi guys, For a good chunk of my life, I didn't realise I had mental health problems. Even after crippling panic attacks where I couldn't breathe, even after depressing times when I couldn't leave home, it took a while to understand my problems and start to deal with it in a healthy way (without drinking etc) Having cancer didn't help things either (more on that later), but I'm very glad that what we're all going through right now is not swept under the carpet, and I don't feel ashamed, or broken, or helpless. Happy to be here with you.

MotherHen23 Intro :-

Hi Im Em, Not feeling myself lately (well past 4-5 years) Just wanna talk to some people that might be feeling the same way

Hi Im Em, Not feeling myself lately (well past 4-5 years) Just wanna talk to some people that might be feeling the same way

Steven N First time online

After 39years of working l took a voluntary redundancy package as I didn't like it there anymore, now Im at a loss as what to do with my life. Im single and live on my own, the last week has been so miserable for me and I've lost interest in the simp... View more

After 39years of working l took a voluntary redundancy package as I didn't like it there anymore, now Im at a loss as what to do with my life. Im single and live on my own, the last week has been so miserable for me and I've lost interest in the simplest of pleasure such as walking my beloved dog. I have been waking up each morning feeling down and not wanting to get out of bed, thinking over and over why l feel like this and what to do. Yesterday, in front of my sister, I teared up. She has been trying to help me by suggesting I find a Hobbie or do some Voluntary work but I don't know what. I've seen my GP and have made an appt to see a Psychologist but I'm wondering if that will help. This morning I woke up feeling worse than ever.

suewho Hi Im a new member

Hi there, I just joined up today. I am in a really low place. I feel sad all the time. I drink too much. Have no friends. Im glad this site is here. I rang lifeline twice this morning. I realise I need help. Im 50 and unemployed. Im broke and faced w... View more

Hi there, I just joined up today. I am in a really low place. I feel sad all the time. I drink too much. Have no friends. Im glad this site is here. I rang lifeline twice this morning. I realise I need help. Im 50 and unemployed. Im broke and faced with the prospect of always being so. I dont think I'll ever find a job. I dont own a house. when I look at what Ive written I feel disgusted with myself. I never realised life was going to be this cruel.

ESLR New

Hi, Im new to this and just

Hi, Im new to this and just

SadieLou Saying hello!

New to this. Im 39 and mum to a 7 year old son. Separated from my ex almost 12 months ago and had been doing ok, regularly seeing a mental health care professional. Just these last few days, I've been feeling very low. Trying to work out patenting ag... View more

New to this. Im 39 and mum to a 7 year old son. Separated from my ex almost 12 months ago and had been doing ok, regularly seeing a mental health care professional. Just these last few days, I've been feeling very low. Trying to work out patenting agreements and property settlement and my ex is dragging things out and picking at small things. Work is too much at the moment as I deal with clients all day. Smiling and being polite is hard. I don't want to pretend anymore when all I want to do is sleep and be left alone. I know I'm in a slump but don't know how to get out of it. I dont feel like talking to anyone as such, even though I'm here. Maybe I just need to let this pass?