Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Butterflyfish Introduction and
  • replies: 2

Hi guys, I'm Butterflyfish, a 25 year old female from WA, living in Queensland working in NSW. I know complicated right. Recently joined the BB forum as I have started having these really negative thoughts which has started to effect my everyday life... View more

Hi guys, I'm Butterflyfish, a 25 year old female from WA, living in Queensland working in NSW. I know complicated right. Recently joined the BB forum as I have started having these really negative thoughts which has started to effect my everyday life. It has taken me until my gym coach asked me if I was ok? and bursting into tears and a massive conflict for me to make an appointment to see a GP. I'm going tomorrow but I guess I feel like I'm wasting their time as there are people a lot worse off than I am. I don't know why these feelings of self doubt and sadness are coming from and why I can't stop having them. They aren't all the time but somehow I keep coming back to them. Almost a year ago I lost my Nanna and I recently had a car accident. Those two events seem to be the only thing that I can assign to the cause. This is not my first time seeking help from a GP which why I guess I put it off. In my third year of University I had a snorkelling accident and a few months later a very similar thing occurred; crying all the time, negative thoughts and high stress levels. I saw counselor and she advised me to see a GP to make saw there was nothing physically wrong. However, when I went to the GP, he was quite rude and simply handed me a script saying your depressed take these. Medication is last resort for me as a personal opinion and even the counselor I was depressed the next time I visited it was just in that moment I was over come with stress. I guess I'm looking for opinions on how to approach this appointment to not get the same result. Thanks

RedGalahAU Newbie Introduction

About six months ago, I had open-heart surgery. I am now on the road to physical recovery. I am confused about whether I need any emotional recovery or not. I keep telling myself that I am so happy that my heart was fixed; however I don't seem to hav... View more

About six months ago, I had open-heart surgery. I am now on the road to physical recovery. I am confused about whether I need any emotional recovery or not. I keep telling myself that I am so happy that my heart was fixed; however I don't seem to have the typical grieving feelings that might go with a life threating event. I am hoping that I can dig a bit deeper into any feelings I might be burying.

insertaname Here's the question: Medication or Therapy: Which of these (or both) work best for you?

For me, ny answer is medication. I have been to psychologists (three) and all they give me are worksheets. I do not like worksheets, but i have applied some of their "i feel" techniques when speaking, but it somewhat feels ineffective. It is expensiv... View more

For me, ny answer is medication. I have been to psychologists (three) and all they give me are worksheets. I do not like worksheets, but i have applied some of their "i feel" techniques when speaking, but it somewhat feels ineffective. It is expensive even subsidized to fork out $70 per session. Personally talk is just talk to me, I want to see results. In addition, I carry a lot of baggage apart from my mental illness. I used to talk my issues out to the psychiatrist about the medication - even if he didn't like it. I have an ok one for now, I am actually quite lucky he let stay at home to recover rather be hospitalised - high doses of meds. Although i struggle with my emotions at least they are not erratic. My relapse was a hypo one - small hiccup. I am still recovering. I am in tune with my bipolar and therapy just is not my thing at all despite the good advice. I'd rather walk the dog or do leisure activities. I look forward to your responses - everyone's experiences will be different Jennifer

insertaname If you were to be hospitalised what things would you bring for comfort?
  • replies: 8

This question is out of boredom but here's my answer - let me know yours My list: Pyjamas, blank exercise book, pens/texta, my own pillow , my clothes, my own blanket, a mindful book e.g. colouring book + puzzles in it with coloured pencils and a pic... View more

This question is out of boredom but here's my answer - let me know yours My list: Pyjamas, blank exercise book, pens/texta, my own pillow , my clothes, my own blanket, a mindful book e.g. colouring book + puzzles in it with coloured pencils and a picture of my significant other standing beside my dog, a usb flashdrive music player that can be charged by pc and headphones.

Eye_of_the_Storm Emotional Infidelity - Should I stay or Go?
  • replies: 3

Hi, I'm 38 and my husband is 39 and we're college sweethearts. We've always had a strong marriage and we have a huge amount of love for one another although I feel like we're living like room mates as we haven't been intimate in over a year. It was a... View more

Hi, I'm 38 and my husband is 39 and we're college sweethearts. We've always had a strong marriage and we have a huge amount of love for one another although I feel like we're living like room mates as we haven't been intimate in over a year. It was always the elephant in the room but we never addressed it. My husband started to have feelings for a girl he works with and has become obsessed with her over the last 3 months. I knew he wasn't his usual self and I confronted him. He has moved team so he doesn't have any contact with her but after 4 weeks of talking and not getting anywhere we've decided to go to couple counselling as he cannot get past this. He suffers with anxiety and depression and we ended up in the ED two weeks ago as he wanted to take his life as the shame and guilt was overwhelming. He knows his marriage is on the line, so why can't he get over her and move on? I feel worthless, second best and angry with him that he's let this get so out of control. He's seeing a Psychologist and now a Psychiatrist since our vist to the ED and has stopped drinking to try and help his anxiety and depression. I'm torn between wanting to support my husband through his mental illness but I don't want to be a fool and stay if he can't get over her. I asked him to move out but he's a mess. I thought we were going to start a family but everything is on hold and I don't want to resent him for taking this away from me. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Blue_beige Admitting i need help
  • replies: 3

As an only child and independent woman I have found this hard. I now find myself with no other choice but to admit I need some kind of help before I totally unravel. up until this point I have been seen as a pretty strong & resilient person. On the i... View more

As an only child and independent woman I have found this hard. I now find myself with no other choice but to admit I need some kind of help before I totally unravel. up until this point I have been seen as a pretty strong & resilient person. On the inside I am anything but. I am now having nightmares every night, withdrawn from friends and family and will cry at any given moment which usually turns straight to sobbing. A lot of contributing factors. But I’ll stick to the basic facts for now I’m an Only child raised by a single parent, who I now realise was pretty emotionally abusive. My dad only came into my life more frequently from about 11 onwards as he lived interstate prior to that. My parents hated each other but my mum was the only one who voiced her negative opinions of the other. I’ve been on anti depressants for most of my adult life. I’m now 39 with 3 children, youngest being 8 eldest 14. I was diagnosed post natal after my 1st and went off medication before my 2nd however have been on it ever since. I’m Married and have a beautiful home & am not wanting for anything. Life was good. 3 years ago my husband was suddenly arrested & taken away, swallowed by the prison system for a crime he did not commit and it took 4 months to get him out, just on bail. Since then we have been through hell and I feel only just made it to this point. His trial starts in another month or so and there is the possibility he will he take away again - I have learnt that there is no such thing as innocent until proven guilty. For us it has been the total opposite. During these events my dads partner was diagnosed with the pancreatic cancer and is now at the end. Long story short, I think I have PTSD and I don’t know where or how t get help. I feel as though if I start to get help I will get worse before I get better and I still have a death & a lengthy court trial to get through. i can’t fall apart but the cracks are appearing.

ESLR Rock bottom?
  • replies: 4

Hi, I'm new to this online thing so here goes nothing. I've been on this forum for a while now just reading through trying to find it in me to post and feeling anxious about how much I should share, just needing to vent and get things off my chest. F... View more

Hi, I'm new to this online thing so here goes nothing. I've been on this forum for a while now just reading through trying to find it in me to post and feeling anxious about how much I should share, just needing to vent and get things off my chest. For the past few years i guess ive been floating through life with no purpose at all. I had a miscarriage a few months ago and haven't been able come back from it. It was a trigger and literally a massive wake up call on how I've wasted so many years not being productive at all. The last few weeks I've pushed away the ones closest to me and I've just isolated myself from everything. I'm about to loose my job, I've lost a few friends and have no one to talk to. My family have been supportive and patient with me but now I feel like I'm just a burden. I'm not one to open up so easily so I barely talk about what im going through, in some ways I feel guilty so I don't say much. The past few days I've been trying to go the GP and chat about this but I don't know how. I get nervous about opening up to a stranger but i know I need to. And the doctor I was seeing with my miscarriage was really cold towards that situation which makes it worst. I haven't slept for well for a while, my mind is in overdrive and constantly worried about everything. I feel guilty for feeling this way because the way I see it is I put myself in this situation, its my fault and now its just...I just don't know what to do.

Em_J Switching Off The Emotions
  • replies: 4

The past three years has been some of the most challenging in my life. Giving the shortest synopsis I can..my father fell really ill following a surgery. He then contracted sepsis and was dying. His words and his lack of will to live were so distress... View more

The past three years has been some of the most challenging in my life. Giving the shortest synopsis I can..my father fell really ill following a surgery. He then contracted sepsis and was dying. His words and his lack of will to live were so distressing. Through the grace of god he survived but it wasnt without scars. He was bed bound for almost a year and would cry out in tremendous pain everyday. He could hardly walk or doing basic task. It was so unbelievably awful to watch and be strong for him whilst it was happening. He recovered physically after 2 years but mentally the pain is still there. Early this year he tried to take his own life. Once again he pulled through and has been doing alot better which has been so encouraging. As you can imagine reading this, it was pretty hard as his daughter to watch it all happen. Mentally it has broken me so much and ive struggled these past years to move on and be happy. My fiance and I got engaged and that has been amazing but his family cause constant issues and fights between us. We have really been struggling with how awful they have been. I try in all situations to pick myself up and try harder again but this time I just feel so tired. My fiance and I have had another upset discussion because of his family and I have had enough. My brain just simply doesnt want to fight anymore. I feel like a switch has flipped and I no longer have the energy for any emotion. it almost worries me. Is this normal? at what point do I need to start chatting to my doctor and looking for medications to take again. Ive been on and off medication for almost 10years. Ive had a good run off them but now I have just succumbed to the depression yet again. any advice is good advice, Thank so much for reading this

MRSme Newbie

Hi, I've been a member of beyond blue for quiet a while, however today is my first post because I decided to bite the bullet and join the forums. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 3 years ago and OCD about 6 months ago. I have come a long w... View more

Hi, I've been a member of beyond blue for quiet a while, however today is my first post because I decided to bite the bullet and join the forums. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety 3 years ago and OCD about 6 months ago. I have come a long way in that time but I have felt myself spiralling in the last few weeks hence my decision to post. I feel I needed to have a chat but don't want to burden those around me when I've been going so well lately. My main support network all have a lot going on right now, from work related stress to an overseas trip aproaching quickly, and I know they won't mind but I can't do it to them knowing what their busy lives are like at the moment.