Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Lemmy help with accessing help
  • replies: 33

40yrs old and I've recently broken up with my partner of 8 years and its pretty clear to me i'm suffering panic attacks and potentially long term depression. i rated 'high' on the k10 test, and have made an appointment with a gp what things will be d... View more

40yrs old and I've recently broken up with my partner of 8 years and its pretty clear to me i'm suffering panic attacks and potentially long term depression. i rated 'high' on the k10 test, and have made an appointment with a gp what things will be discussed, how will it be handled and is there anything i can do to prepare? feeling anxious about it thanks in advance

Munch Hi, newbie who’s a little confused
  • replies: 3

Hi, I’m new to this and just looking for somewhere to chat. I’m feeling odd these days. Just tired and groggy all the time. Worried about everything but I can’t seem to find the will power to do anything about It. a lot of the time I’ll be fine and t... View more

Hi, I’m new to this and just looking for somewhere to chat. I’m feeling odd these days. Just tired and groggy all the time. Worried about everything but I can’t seem to find the will power to do anything about It. a lot of the time I’ll be fine and the next second I’ll be unable to control tears from falling or my mood will just shift and it’s never for the better. I’m not exactly going through a rough patch, I know I’m really lucky with what I have and I am grateful for it. It’s just that I can’t stop worrying about weather I’m doing the right thing, if I’ll get yelled at for being wrong and my mind always goes to worst case scenario first. It’s really tiring. what confuses me is, where do I go from here to help my mind be a little kinder to myself and feel more confident and calm. thanks if you’ve read this, it feels good to get that off my chest and talk about it.

BlueSpring New member checking in and hoping to find some support
  • replies: 2

Hi, I'm a single woman in my early 30's. I've never been diagnosed with or medicated for any mental health issues but have always struggled with depression and anxiety and it seems to be exacerbating the older I get and I just don't know where to tur... View more

Hi, I'm a single woman in my early 30's. I've never been diagnosed with or medicated for any mental health issues but have always struggled with depression and anxiety and it seems to be exacerbating the older I get and I just don't know where to turn to for support or help. My mum died last year. She was very young. I feel like it just happened so quickly that I didn't even get a chance to process or mourn her loss. It's like I was just trying to get through her illness and the funeral and helping my dad clear her things out because he couldn't face their home without her. I regret so much. I knew she was sick but was in denial about it killing her so I put on a brave face and just told myself she would get better. We never got a proper goodbye or the opportunity to talk about life. We were so close too. I wasted so many beautiful opportuities at the end of her life because of my denial. Is this normal? I tried speaking to a psychologist last year, referred from a local GP (I move around a lot so don't have a solid doctor). But I was just uncomfortable and didn't gel with her. I'm still open to seeking professional help but where do you start? I'm just feeling so alone and struggling to cope. I wish I had a good friend or partner to turn to but I don't. My few friends don't know what's going on because I put on a happy face. I don't want to be a burden and I find it really difficult to open up anyway. I suppose I'm here just looking for a support system of sorts and maybe some resources to lift me up and provide me with the help I need. Appreciate anyone who takes the time to read this:)

Wolfy Hey guys
  • replies: 6

Hey everyone hope you are as well as you can be I'm new here I did signup sometime ago but never really got on I find it extremely difficult to talk to people about my anxiety and now seem to be getting depression on top of it in turn is making the a... View more

Hey everyone hope you are as well as you can be I'm new here I did signup sometime ago but never really got on I find it extremely difficult to talk to people about my anxiety and now seem to be getting depression on top of it in turn is making the anxiety even worse today is the first time I have felt like it has just got way to much for me and right now want to call beyond blue just to talk to someone but in a weird way feel like I'm just being a pain in the butt lol Im working in the centre of NSW and 80kms from any town and just feeling alone and anxiety is through the roof ATM And stuck in a bloody dust storm most of the day haha Would love to meet some friends on here that know what I'm going through as they have to Well that's enough from me till I get on the computer takes to long on the phone typing lol

marian jane Losing dad
  • replies: 5

I lost my dad to prostate cancer which metastasized to bone cancer nearly 2 years ago. When he was diagnosed it was already widespread throughout his body. I spent 7 months living with him from home to palliative care. I still feel angry and sad abou... View more

I lost my dad to prostate cancer which metastasized to bone cancer nearly 2 years ago. When he was diagnosed it was already widespread throughout his body. I spent 7 months living with him from home to palliative care. I still feel angry and sad about the way he died. When I'm in certain circumstances - like a recent visit to hospital I feel sad and teary. If I see someone dying on tv etc. I find it very hard to watch and sometimes I'll leave the room. I know dealing with grief takes time and I just go along with these feelings not trying to supress them or justify them. I just get tired of feeling like this sometime

SimeonG New Member, "Hi"
  • replies: 4

Hi I don't really know what to say, I was recently diagnosed with serious depression and anxiety, and my GP/Psychologist pointed me in the direction of Beyond Blue. My Psychologist has advised me that it might be helpful to reach-out to people who ha... View more

Hi I don't really know what to say, I was recently diagnosed with serious depression and anxiety, and my GP/Psychologist pointed me in the direction of Beyond Blue. My Psychologist has advised me that it might be helpful to reach-out to people who have similar problems to me so I don't feel so isolated. So here I am reaching out

jacksonpie The secret life of us
  • replies: 6

Hi, My mother passed away 6 weeks ago, it was fast but we still had a chance to talk to her i guess about anything. I don't have a relationship with my mother that allowed me to do that. My mother is my trigger. I am angry at her that I had to keep s... View more

Hi, My mother passed away 6 weeks ago, it was fast but we still had a chance to talk to her i guess about anything. I don't have a relationship with my mother that allowed me to do that. My mother is my trigger. I am angry at her that I had to keep secrets for her and from her to keep her happy. I often wondered if I would ever tell her how that had affected me, but I didn't, right till the end I couldn't upset her or risk getting her trying to guilt me which was her fallback if I challenged her. I have other siblings who have all had standard lives, stresses, marriage breakups, which we all have, but for some reason they think because I've never said anything or relied on my mother for support that I have had some sort of perfect life. There seems to be a bit of secret squirrel stuff going on amongst my siblings which is also a trigger...secrets. I feel like, at the moment that I could let all the secrets out just so they would know what I've had to do for everyone in this family really. I know I'm upset that mum died (no matter what our relationship was, she is my mother) and I know that anger is probably also normal, but I feel like maybe I'm being unreasonable and my feelings aren't valid. At the moment I can't control the tears of hurt and frustration.

twoshoes Im new here. Intro and hi.
  • replies: 1

Hello, I am a middle aged, parent and Nana. I have one adult child left at home. I have 4 children and 4 grandkids. I only see 1 of my grandies, and 3 of my kids (story for another time -alienated granny) Its a small part of my problems, true. As its... View more

Hello, I am a middle aged, parent and Nana. I have one adult child left at home. I have 4 children and 4 grandkids. I only see 1 of my grandies, and 3 of my kids (story for another time -alienated granny) Its a small part of my problems, true. As its been a long time since I seen my eldest now. I am sad alot. Depression. I also get anxiety. But seem to be able to deal with that now, after many years suffering from it. But its still lurking there. I think I am depressed at the moment due to a lack of friends. I have 1 really great friend. I see her once a week or fortnight. I have trouble sleeping. I hate that the most as I never did. I can sleep the day away, and stay up all night, even if I force myself to get up early and keep active throughout the day. Im currently unemployed. But I do ok. I have a government home, and free water and a small solar set up, so helps offset bills. Drug free. (apart from 1 prescribed med for anxiety- 10 + years on) drink rarely. I know Im depressed. Diagnosed by a few drs. I feel its the lack of friends. And the friends I do have (i have 4 I talk to via messages but rarely see) and thats it. I rarely go out. I try to make plans, and they cancel. They go out and not invite me. I think Im a good friend. Dependable. Reliable. Honest. Supportive. Fun. I try and leave the depression at the door. Fake it? And I dont know how to make new friends now. I made a couple, but they ended up being toxic for me. So I ended those. I just feel like i just dont know what to do. Or how to get there. I know I said I do ok for unemployed. I eat. I out out occasionally. Movies. Meal. I drive. But I dont have any excess funds for more things, like a club/group type of thing. So hey! Waves hello, thanks for letting me in here.

KT1996 Dealing with anxiety
  • replies: 3

Hey, new here but a long time sufferer off anxiety and depression . Currently struggling with anxiety attacks and am on meds for it and to help with sleep. But I need help with the chest tightenings, stomach pains/cramps and shortness of breath It is... View more

Hey, new here but a long time sufferer off anxiety and depression . Currently struggling with anxiety attacks and am on meds for it and to help with sleep. But I need help with the chest tightenings, stomach pains/cramps and shortness of breath It is so overwhelming and takes hours sometimes all day to control

calmseeker calmseeker
  • replies: 4

Not sure if I even know where to start. Too overwhelmed. Confused as to what path to take to even help myself. Tired of constant worry and feeling unwell, not even sure if its physical or mental or both?

Not sure if I even know where to start. Too overwhelmed. Confused as to what path to take to even help myself. Tired of constant worry and feeling unwell, not even sure if its physical or mental or both?