Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Kbree Feeling like I've lost everything
  • replies: 2

I feel like I have lost everything, I'm 37 have chronic pain and it has affected my whole life including how much I can work. It affects my mental health a lot. I don't know what to do any more. I don't have any close friends and my family doesn't ge... View more

I feel like I have lost everything, I'm 37 have chronic pain and it has affected my whole life including how much I can work. It affects my mental health a lot. I don't know what to do any more. I don't have any close friends and my family doesn't get me and have no compassion for me at all. Im so tired of pain and emotional pain too. Any words of wisdom?

-sad- Hi
  • replies: 1

I don’t really know how to format this so here goes, i came here because no one knows me so can’t judge me. Recently I’ve been feeling empty and kinda lost and I don’t really know what to do about this and I hope someone can help me.

I don’t really know how to format this so here goes, i came here because no one knows me so can’t judge me. Recently I’ve been feeling empty and kinda lost and I don’t really know what to do about this and I hope someone can help me.

Aussie_English_Girl My Struggles

Hi, I used to have depression, but I still suffer anxiety. I joined this forum because I want a second opinion. My Mum thinks because I have an intellectual disability, and PTSD (which is under control), she thinks I have bipolar. She thinks all auti... View more

Hi, I used to have depression, but I still suffer anxiety. I joined this forum because I want a second opinion. My Mum thinks because I have an intellectual disability, and PTSD (which is under control), she thinks I have bipolar. She thinks all autistics are psycho. Her words, definitely not mine. I don't have bipolar, do I? And I keep telling her bipolar sufferers are not psycho, but she won't listen. She thinks I am always irritable, but she is failing to realise I'm only frustrated when I can't understand something (I have an intellectual delay), or when she is such an essentialist. My PTSD symptoms hardly show up now. Any help?

Lissy_75 Lost

I feel as if I have nothing left to give. My partner is at his wits ends with my emotional roller coaster and my children are worried. Which all adds up to me failing.

I feel as if I have nothing left to give. My partner is at his wits ends with my emotional roller coaster and my children are worried. Which all adds up to me failing.

Stacmeow numbness & out of body

Who else feels like brain & body are disconnected? like you are a watching from inside, in control of your actions & moments yet like it’s a play or something? the slowness, weakness & numbness is all consuming. I am trying my ‘get out of this rut’ t... View more

Who else feels like brain & body are disconnected? like you are a watching from inside, in control of your actions & moments yet like it’s a play or something? the slowness, weakness & numbness is all consuming. I am trying my ‘get out of this rut’ techniques. getting outside in the world. Being kind to myself, doing nice things to feel good.....but it’s not working

Png Lost My Family
  • replies: 3

Taken a long time but lost my family i think they couldn't live with my sadness is that possible

Taken a long time but lost my family i think they couldn't live with my sadness is that possible

ghostdad64 New user - my story

Hi all, New member of the forums here and to be honest, this is a big step for me. I am an estranged father of two children who are now 26 and 20 years old. I left the family home in 2006 not knowing this would mean I would essentially also be divorc... View more

Hi all, New member of the forums here and to be honest, this is a big step for me. I am an estranged father of two children who are now 26 and 20 years old. I left the family home in 2006 not knowing this would mean I would essentially also be divorcing my children. There was no domestic violence. I would never raise a hand to anyone let alone a woman. At the time, my children were 13 and 7. After a protracted legal battle where my ex was asking for sole custody, the judge decided that, in light of my son's age, he could see me "in accordance with his wishes"; he decided that would be never. Naturally he was never encouraged to maintain a relationship with me. My daughter, was ordered to spend every second Saturday with me. Based on the angst it would cause her, overnights were ruled out by the judge. She complied with these orders and despite being civil with me during these visits, the relationship was always strained. When I picked her up, she sat in the back seat always. She never called me dad. There was never any hugging or signs of affection. Not so much as a card for Father's day, birthdays or Christmas. As her 18th birthday approached, I enquired what would happen when the orders no longer applied. She informed me that she would no longer be seeing me. I had lost her as well. It has been 2.5 years since I've seen my daughter and 13 years since I've seen my son. I doubt I will ever see either of them again and the pain is more than I can bear. I don't know where they live and, honestly, would not feel right reaching out to two people who despise me so much. People often tell me things will improve. But how ? When ? I can't see it. I'm re-married with two adult stepdaughters but I miss my children. I want them to love me and include me in their lives. I doubt, if I died, they'd even come to the funeral. Sometimes I sit and just wonder what I did to deserve the cycle of pain that I have endured and will probably continue to endure until the day when it all just comes to an end. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy.

SkellyBB new mumma

Hi, I turned 34 yesterday, I have suffered from anxiety in the past. I have a beautiful baby boy 7 months olds I had a very traumatic birth that took me some time to accept I held onto a lot of guilt that I didn’t get to spend the first few days of h... View more

Hi, I turned 34 yesterday, I have suffered from anxiety in the past. I have a beautiful baby boy 7 months olds I had a very traumatic birth that took me some time to accept I held onto a lot of guilt that I didn’t get to spend the first few days of his life with him, I felt as thou I failed as a Mum, even thou he was born healthy and well ( I was sent to ICU). I’m still recovering from birth 7 months on and just spent 3 days in hospital, I lost feeling in my arm and had a 3 day headache, my anxiety from being away from my baby was to much that I checked myself out. I followed up with my GP yesterday and asked for help but I didn’t get what I needed he asked to see me in a few days as what he felt I was feeling is from the pain I’m in. I returned to work recently and I’m not coping. I have a coworker who doesn’t like me making my time there very hard. I lodged a formal complaint against them yesterday as she has been making accusations against me that are not true to bosses trying to get me in trouble and now they have made up stories to try and cover them self that I have caught her out . This with being a new mum with no support besides my husband I feel like I have just got my head about water. Iv reached out yesterday to my works free councillors and they should get back to me in the next 48 hours. I’m don’t feel that I’m sad just overwhelmed. My husband has taken a few days off to be home with me and support me. Thanks for reading

JaneBl I’m new - and complex
  • replies: 5

Hi guys, So I finally took the plunge and joined the forum. I thought I might be too complex for this forum, but a basic search showed me a thread with similar issues to mine. So I jumped in. I have complex health issues which have recently led to de... View more

Hi guys, So I finally took the plunge and joined the forum. I thought I might be too complex for this forum, but a basic search showed me a thread with similar issues to mine. So I jumped in. I have complex health issues which have recently led to depression and anxiety for the first time. I have had an autoimmune disease for the past 15 years but recently it has gotten worse. I am facing the real possibility of surgery this year, maybe multiple surgeries. And I am only in my thirties. This is the bit that is getting to me. I am generally a very resilient person. I have a lot of beautiful people and things in my life and am grateful every day for these. I see plenty of good and beauty in the world. But when I think about getting multipole surgeries, including joint replacements, before I am forty, I find myself sliding down into a dark place. Any stories from others with complex health issues, autoimmune disease, chronic pain or chronic illness in general, would be most appreciated. I do not need a lot of advice - I am a psychologist by training - but what I really need right now is to know I am not alone. I look forward to getting to know you all in the forums. Warm regards, Jane.

Alekso Feeling Disconnected 🙃

Hi all, Only new here. But I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Since then my sugars have been between 4.5-7.5 so are very good. But can’t seem to get back to my normal self. I’m constantly worried about eating, my blood, having a heart... View more

Hi all, Only new here. But I’ve recently been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Since then my sugars have been between 4.5-7.5 so are very good. But can’t seem to get back to my normal self. I’m constantly worried about eating, my blood, having a heart attack and generally living longer now that I have Type 2. I know it’s silly and so many people live with it! Hence this post! iv even feeling disconnected from myself, caught in a day dream, can’t laugh, hard to smile, just bit myself! Sometimes I feel as if I’m spinning around and even going shopping makes it all worse! Or being in a small area with loads of people. I need help! I’ve had full blood tests done! They checked everting and it was perfect except slight blood sugar height. But I keep thinking I’m dying and I’ve got serious health issues. I’m a father of 3 and need to back to normal again! I’ve lost a job paying 140k a year over this! I’m almost at wits end!