Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Healing heart Ongoing issues
  • replies: 2

I have been in domestic violence realationship and got out. It's still ongoing and had to move a couple of times. Needing somewhere to post. I have good and bad days. highly effecting work, housing, family life and inner peace and safety. I'm in coun... View more

I have been in domestic violence realationship and got out. It's still ongoing and had to move a couple of times. Needing somewhere to post. I have good and bad days. highly effecting work, housing, family life and inner peace and safety. I'm in counselling. Thanks

Ranger1 where do I start?

I have no idea what I'm doing so here goes. I have anxiety... I think. I know why, I just don't know how to deal with it. Up until 2 years ago I would have considered myself a very grounded person. Everyone else was the weirdo - not me. First my dog ... View more

I have no idea what I'm doing so here goes. I have anxiety... I think. I know why, I just don't know how to deal with it. Up until 2 years ago I would have considered myself a very grounded person. Everyone else was the weirdo - not me. First my dog of 16 years had to be put down which was difficult..but a part of life, then my Grandma dies a few months short of her 100th birthday...also another part of normal life. Then my mother is diagnosed with Alzheimer's and is rapidly declining. My Dad who is looking after her gets diagnosed with terminal cancer. So I stop work to look after Dad, take him to his chemo and to spend some quality time with him which was priceless. ( I can't thank work enough for allowing me that time). That was over a year ago. There was a lot of financial stress with finding somewhere for mum, trying to sell their house to pay for it all and to keep working full time. Its all sorted now and life is back to normal and things are looking more positive. BUT.....when I was looking after Dad he was often awake during the night in immense pain, so I was getting up a lot in his final weeks to give him meds etc. I still can't sleep properly, everything makes me anxious, like everything...I freaked out just getting in my car yesterday. The heart rate goes up, I get sweaty and just can't deal with it. Normally I would talk to my Dad about such issues, but he's gone. I can't talk to my mum about this kind of thing due to her condition. I feel like my whole family left in one hit and its just me versus the world now. It was such a shock to the system. I also have this immense feeling of guilt. I live in Australia, my life is great compared to what other people in the world are going thru..yet I'm so depressed. I know I shouldn't be this way, but I'am. Its exhausting !

Honey_Badger Long term mental health issues.

Hi. Long term sufferer of depression. It has destroyed my relationships, crippled my career and has been slowly degrading my health. I lie to everyone I speak to about myself because I'm too ashamed of everything I have and haven't done. I am nervous... View more

Hi. Long term sufferer of depression. It has destroyed my relationships, crippled my career and has been slowly degrading my health. I lie to everyone I speak to about myself because I'm too ashamed of everything I have and haven't done. I am nervous posting this as this is the most open I've been for 9 years. I would like to think this post is a step in the right direction. Fingers crossed.

Khajiit Khajiit - Introduction.
  • replies: 4

Hello! ^-^ My 'naaaaame' is Khajiit. Forgive me if I have misplaced where this thread should be. It is my first steps of this chapter. A little bit about myself... I love making artworks and writing poetic stories. I sleep to instrumental music and s... View more

Hello! ^-^ My 'naaaaame' is Khajiit. Forgive me if I have misplaced where this thread should be. It is my first steps of this chapter. A little bit about myself... I love making artworks and writing poetic stories. I sleep to instrumental music and sometimes the sound of the ocean waves. I see the beauty of the midnight stars and the comfort of my plushies. Already, very poetic. Hehe. I've taken training in supporting youth and advocate at an organization and plan to push forward and help break the stigma. Life hasn't always been rainbows for me. But, no matter the case. Mint ice cream is delicious and will always be there. It's my midnight snack. I don't think anything is greater - Nor pizza, pudding, potatoes or pancakes. Maybe a steak dinner with chips and salad. I suppose that is me at the surface level. Assuming I've grasped the basics, I hope to get to know some of you. And thank you for letting me into your home

DVG Hi everyone!
  • replies: 1

Well...I finally took a step to learning and bettering my mental health. To be honest I'm not entirely sure I explicitly have depression but from the small amount of research I've done I am definitely experiencing symptoms of it so here I am, looking... View more

Well...I finally took a step to learning and bettering my mental health. To be honest I'm not entirely sure I explicitly have depression but from the small amount of research I've done I am definitely experiencing symptoms of it so here I am, looking forward to learning and sharing more with people. I'm originally from New Zealand and of Samoan/Australian decent (I guess my "hello" should be Kia Ora, Talofa, and G'day), been in Aus going on 9 years, and also gay. I love geek culture books, movies, TV - anything high fantasy and sci-fi I'll take a liking to, also love water...pisces thing maybe?, and above all my two nephews who really make life special.

Ginnyh New member- just need to chat with people who understand
  • replies: 5

Hi there. I’ve suffered depression on and off for 10 years. Occasionally it’s got worse and a new med or increase has helped. 2 weeks ago I started to feel very down again. I went to dr who signed me off work and increased my meds . I know it takes a... View more

Hi there. I’ve suffered depression on and off for 10 years. Occasionally it’s got worse and a new med or increase has helped. 2 weeks ago I started to feel very down again. I went to dr who signed me off work and increased my meds . I know it takes a while to kick in but it’s been nearly 2 weeks now and I’m not feeling any better. If anything I’m feeling worse as now I’m feeling super anxious as well. I’ve been off work nearly 2 weeks and I’m not getting paid so I’m seriously worried about that too. My husband is supportive but he’s starting to get annoyed that I’m not getting better and he’s worried how we will cope if I can’t work. I just feel so desperately scared. I see a psychologist but only once a month as can’t afford it. I just don’t really know what to do. I wake up each morning and hope that it’s the day that I start to feel better. What will happen if I don’t start getting better ? Sorry for my rambling. Just wanted to chat with people that understand

Ashiraz Need help understanding how to support my partner whom may be going through depression

Hi, I am a newbie here. I joined today cz I really need some help understanding whether my partner has depression and get to know how to help him. Since of late he has been skipping work a lot and says that he feels down. He thinks going to work is j... View more

Hi, I am a newbie here. I joined today cz I really need some help understanding whether my partner has depression and get to know how to help him. Since of late he has been skipping work a lot and says that he feels down. He thinks going to work is just a distraction to get by..He often questions "the point" of it all and I am not sure I know how to help him. We both grew up in cultures where we never discussed mental health, so I am not even sure whether it is the case. I am worried leaving him home for work cz I fear that he might harm himself. He sometimes asks me to stay home with him cz he feels "down" but is the only way he expresses it. He generally is an over-thinker and keeps himself busy. I am starting to believe that he tries to keep himself occupied all the time, (be it household improvement or working out a loan, buying a car etc)cz when he is not he feels "down". Any feedback on how I need to approach? Please help me...

anonymous1000x Do I belong here? Do I have a drug problem?

I'm not sure where else to look for answers. I take prescription opioids for severe pain. I mean *severe*. I have, at times, thought about taking my own life just so the pain would stop. I've been taking opioids for about 3 years. I never felt high, ... View more

I'm not sure where else to look for answers. I take prescription opioids for severe pain. I mean *severe*. I have, at times, thought about taking my own life just so the pain would stop. I've been taking opioids for about 3 years. I never felt high, never had any "good" feelings from it, simply had pain relief. Now would be a good time to mention that addiction is strong in my family. My grandmother drunk herself to death. An aunt and an uncle both have been homeless at times because of their drug addictions and untreated mental illness.When I was first offered pain pills by my doctor, I had to fill out this survey, looking at risk factors. I'm still sort of surprised I was given opioids based on my answers to that survey. History of addiction in family: check. Childhood sexual abuse: check. Mental illness: check. On paper, I look like the last person you'd want to give these drugs to. But it's been years now and I've been fine. But just the last few months I've noticed behaviors in myself that are risky. I don't know what changed. I still don't get a high feeling from them, probably because I almost always take them exactly as prescribed. But I started to shift doses based on my mood. It's like one day I suddenly thought, I just took my morning dose a couple hours ago but if I take my afternoon dose now, I will probably feel a tiny bit less depressed. Not high, just baseline or normal. That means I'd sacrifice an afternoon dose, but oh well. I was taking the right number, just shifting times, but I guess the mildly concerning behavior is/was that I was doing it based on my emotions, not my pain levels. Last time I saw my pain doctor, I told him I get breakthrough pain and have the shift around doses - a half-truth.he gave me 10 extra pills a month. That means that a couple days each week, I can have extra. I can have that extra pill for pain. Or I could have it for a day, a moment, that I feel overwhelmed or anxious or depressed. Am I abusing my drugs? Can I stop this? What will happen if I go down this road? Sometimes I'll feel very...normal, and I'll think, "How silly that you were afraid you were going down some 'dark path', it was just a momentary thing." Even writing this now, I feel kind of dumb, like you're all going to tell me I have no problem and that I'm in the wrong place or I'm being dramatic. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know where else to go.

Leesh8 Struggling with insomnia and low esteem

Hi people call me Leesh, I have decided to join this space as I need another space to share my thoughts without including my sleeping boyfriend. Nothing seems to be going right, except for my amazing partner that I fear I'm going to push away. I have... View more

Hi people call me Leesh, I have decided to join this space as I need another space to share my thoughts without including my sleeping boyfriend. Nothing seems to be going right, except for my amazing partner that I fear I'm going to push away. I have always struggled with anxiety and currently trying to work out how to let things go from the past. My last relationship split because I hit an all time low, crying most nights after losing my best friend, my dog. After a year had gone by, he couldn't put up with my sadness any lingee, which is understandable. I fell out with my best friend if 5 years. And about 6 months ago I lost my baby with my current partner. I haven't been able to sleep probably and I'm trying to stay away from the sleeping tablets since they are addicting. I have just finished uni and struggling to find motivation to start my own business as I'm currently in a toxic work environment. Life doesn't want to give me a break and I'm not sure how to fix myself. Does anyone have any tips on how to let things from the past go and finding self worth. Thankyou for taking your time to read this and letting me into this space.

Malificent76 Feeling lost and trying to find myself
  • replies: 3

I’ve felt so lost for the last 2 years and struggling to find myself. hating life At the moment. Love and adore being a mum and love my daughters as much as they can drive me batty, got to love nearly teenagers.. Lost the friendship of my best friend... View more

I’ve felt so lost for the last 2 years and struggling to find myself. hating life At the moment. Love and adore being a mum and love my daughters as much as they can drive me batty, got to love nearly teenagers.. Lost the friendship of my best friend of 10 years, who was like a sister to me... that’s added onto another significant friendship loss a few years earlier. the ex husband unexpectedly passed away so now I’m my daughters sole parent as much as I was even when he was alive. due to his death and lead up to it my partner and I had significant issues and still do, added to him now having BPD. felt so alone in that time as everyone shunned me, tried to talk to friends but that was useless.. now I just want to hide away, frig the world and people in it. Feeling like a fat hefer so that is doing great wonders to my head all on top of trying to figure out my life, the one I’m hating at the moment. sorry just needed to get that out.