Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Adele_G Hi, I'm new
  • replies: 8

Hi, My name is Adele, I'm 19 and I'm new here. I've joined because I really struggle to open up to people and I don't really have anyone to talk to about mental health. I've just started taking antidepressants for anxiety and depression and only one ... View more

Hi, My name is Adele, I'm 19 and I'm new here. I've joined because I really struggle to open up to people and I don't really have anyone to talk to about mental health. I've just started taking antidepressants for anxiety and depression and only one person, my friend, knows about it. I'm just looking for some support, an opportunity to talk about some of this for the first time and to hopefully support others who are struggling too. Hope everyone has a good day, Adele

Shanny63 Feeling very anxious and if i can cope with this new normal
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone, i live in rural Victoria, i have suffered from social anxiety and health anxiety for over 20 years. This whole coronavirus scenario is like my worst nightmare come true. I wake up every morning and read everything i can find about the vi... View more

Hi everyone, i live in rural Victoria, i have suffered from social anxiety and health anxiety for over 20 years. This whole coronavirus scenario is like my worst nightmare come true. I wake up every morning and read everything i can find about the virus and the death tolls. I’m making myself a nervous wreck. I am staying home. I haven’t left the house in 9 days now. I have some health conditions that mean that I could become very ill if i contracted the virus or even die from it. I’m 56 just wanted to say hi and I’m looking for some support..

Tay100 Hi there!
  • replies: 38

Hi there, I'm a new member, looking to make connections and meaningfully help the community! Anyone know some cool threads I can hang out that?

Hi there, I'm a new member, looking to make connections and meaningfully help the community! Anyone know some cool threads I can hang out that?

SAWIAK New Blue Voices Volunteer
  • replies: 2

Hi, I'm so excited to be a new member of this awesome community. I wanted to reach out and help others, its more important than every to reach out and help each other especially in these unique circumstances we find ourselves in. As a person who has ... View more

Hi, I'm so excited to be a new member of this awesome community. I wanted to reach out and help others, its more important than every to reach out and help each other especially in these unique circumstances we find ourselves in. As a person who has had mental health issues all my life isolation can be one of the biggest triggers for anxiety, depression etc..

ExBiker Hi I’m New. My “name” is ExBike
  • replies: 3

Hi I’m a 69 yo male living on my own. I suffer from Anxiety and Depression currently I’m isolated from my family, friends and social activities because of the virus I’m unable to get food basics from my local Woolworths and I’m becoming increasingly ... View more

Hi I’m a 69 yo male living on my own. I suffer from Anxiety and Depression currently I’m isolated from my family, friends and social activities because of the virus I’m unable to get food basics from my local Woolworths and I’m becoming increasingly more anxious, depressed each day. I have become afraid to go outside my unit. I spend all my time in bed trying to sleep and not think about what is happening My family won’t come near me because they say I’m a risk i would rather die from the virus that die locked up in my apartment

dare2diva Howdy my name is Tarnya but call me T.
  • replies: 1

Hi there. I haven’t logged in for years. I didn’t realise I had an account until I went to join. I have schizoaffective disorder and generalised anxiety and I have less than a year to come to terms with the fact I’ll be turning 50 in February next ye... View more

Hi there. I haven’t logged in for years. I didn’t realise I had an account until I went to join. I have schizoaffective disorder and generalised anxiety and I have less than a year to come to terms with the fact I’ll be turning 50 in February next year lol I decided to reach out because my anxiety is quite high with all the virus thing. I’m working from home and we have a daily meeting to keep connected and to talk about anything no set agenda just a space to chat. We would normally have a bit of a chat in the kitchen or while waiting for the lift. I miss my colleagues but this is the next best thing. Of course the virus has been the topic since working from home was mandated by my department. It helps to know that everyone is having anxiety about this. It makes me feel somewhat normal. My depression dropped considerably since November last year and a change of meds has got me to a level which is below where I want it to be but it is stable. I’m going to give it another week and if I haven’t improved my psychiatrist said I can send him a text and he will give me a script for the stronger dose of what I’m on. I’m grateful I have a great psychiatrist I can trust. I also have a great psychologist but getting an appointment with him is hard and it will have been 7 weeks in between visits but I have made appointments monthly up until December. I need a sounding board and he is a no bs guy. He will tell me straight out if my thinking is way off or if I’m being too hard on myself or if I am just being stupid. I like his approach better than psychologists that are all fluffy bunnies and rainbows. That doesn’t work well with me. I am definitely grateful that I am still able to work firstly because I have a mental illness and secondly because I am lucky to have a job in the current climate. I’m also grateful for a great mental health team. I’m grateful I have a great family. My father and sister and her family all live with me and we haven’t hurt one another yet so all is good. thanks for reading. I’ll log in more often. I would love to have some online support and perhaps I can give some support and pay it forward. T

Chester09 Introduction
  • replies: 5

Hi everybody, I am very new to this. Really struggling at the moment. I find it really hard to ask for help because I know so many people are worse off than me but I still can't cope with my own situation. I really feel my family deserves someone bet... View more

Hi everybody, I am very new to this. Really struggling at the moment. I find it really hard to ask for help because I know so many people are worse off than me but I still can't cope with my own situation. I really feel my family deserves someone better than me to help them through this.

Black Bubblegum Hello
  • replies: 6

Hi. I have been battling some things, both physically and emotionally the last few months. Thought that things were slowly starting to get better, had some time off from work scheduled, had built the confidence to start dating again in the last few w... View more

Hi. I have been battling some things, both physically and emotionally the last few months. Thought that things were slowly starting to get better, had some time off from work scheduled, had built the confidence to start dating again in the last few weeks, just felt on the up and up. Then with this Covid19 thing and all the isolation and then leading into restrictions and lockdown, my anxiety has gone through the roof and i've been massively overwhelmed by feelings of loneliness and despair. I should be happier than most, my job still exists (for now) and i've always been super frugal with money so i'm in a lot less financial peril than many. I'm trying to be positive online to anyone who needs it, am donating blood and spend my time helping my elderly folks who live with me. But the isolation, loneliness and lack of face to face contact is just wearing me down and the facade is starting to crack and i'm worried about it upsetting others and that's making me feel worse. I'm genuinely struggling to keep going at the moment, seeing no positive things upcoming with this Corona situation, being really lonely and having reached the state where even things that are passions for me and used to always cheer me up like music and reading are no longer making me feel much at all. If it wasn't for looking after my folks, I don't know what the point of living is and have days where I wish I didn't wake up. I just don't know what to do anymore. There is nothing to look forward to and nothing worth living for. Sorry I just though getting this off my chest might make me feel better.

WanderingAround Introduction
  • replies: 6

Hi, I am WanderingAround, joined this as a tip from a friend. These days are difficult with having to be isolated, I've decided to join and participate. Learn about how everyone is facing these difficult days and how to grow stronger and able to supp... View more

Hi, I am WanderingAround, joined this as a tip from a friend. These days are difficult with having to be isolated, I've decided to join and participate. Learn about how everyone is facing these difficult days and how to grow stronger and able to support those around me. Supporting others has become so more challenging and I hope to share as much as I can. This is a great space, thanks for making it possible.

Emma42 Introduction
  • replies: 2

Hello. I my name is Emma and I’m 13. I just signed up to this website to talk to someone about some stuff that’s going on but I’m not really sure what to do or how it works and I am kind of paranoid because I entered my personal information into a we... View more

Hello. I my name is Emma and I’m 13. I just signed up to this website to talk to someone about some stuff that’s going on but I’m not really sure what to do or how it works and I am kind of paranoid because I entered my personal information into a website without my parents knowledge. So basically, is this how I do it? Do I just post a question on a ‘thread’ and someone will reply? Im sorry if I’m wasting your time with a dumb question but I want to know how this works. Sorry.