Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Evilovd Evil ocd..
  • replies: 1

Hey group.. Names tim and I have number of types ocd. I wish I was clean freak. Cheers

Hey group.. Names tim and I have number of types ocd. I wish I was clean freak. Cheers

Shansav New need some HELP!
  • replies: 5

Hi, My name is Shannon Is anyone else at a point of WTF is going on in my head? I have arrived at a time in my life where I just cant push the SHIT down no more. I'm at a point where i don't know what the hell to do?

Hi, My name is Shannon Is anyone else at a point of WTF is going on in my head? I have arrived at a time in my life where I just cant push the SHIT down no more. I'm at a point where i don't know what the hell to do?

Asta_Pasta Hi, new here!
  • replies: 2

Hi, nice to meet you all. I'm a teenager in my second last year of highschool. I'm a bit new to this but I hope I get to know more about mental health and people as well. Thanks for reading!

Hi, nice to meet you all. I'm a teenager in my second last year of highschool. I'm a bit new to this but I hope I get to know more about mental health and people as well. Thanks for reading!

Mathius New here
  • replies: 3

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself. Father of 2, currently out of work due to the shutdown, was going well for a while but found the last few days tough

Hi, just thought I'd introduce myself. Father of 2, currently out of work due to the shutdown, was going well for a while but found the last few days tough

bipolarbeauty New Story-teller

Hi everyone Just joined. I am new to the forums, but I have known about the forums for some time. I live with Bipolar Disorder Type I. I was diagnosed with it last year. I am managing it moderately well, in terms of treatment - I'm on medications; an... View more

Hi everyone Just joined. I am new to the forums, but I have known about the forums for some time. I live with Bipolar Disorder Type I. I was diagnosed with it last year. I am managing it moderately well, in terms of treatment - I'm on medications; and I love meditation, reading self-help guides, and the idea of recovery and maintaining recovery. I am not working and studying at the moment, and I hope to do both in the near-future. My previous diagnoses in the past include clinical depression, ADHD (Inattentive-type) and schizophrenia. I feel my newest and recent diagnosis resonates with me the most, and who I am as a person. I have been through some pretty traumatic things in my life, as most people do, and I am trying to come to terms with it. Mine was so severe that I had to be hospitalised in the adult mental health ward numerous times. I have had bad relationships in the past, and my career never really felt it was going anywhere, no matter how much I tried. My coping mechanisms include a bunch of things, especially the use of my (favourite) visual art such as painting, self-talk, practicing gratefulness everyday and this may be a funny one, but social media as well. I share my story 'vulnerably' online in other social media platforms, and although I get a lot of response that I am brave for do such a thing for the greater good, I feel it's not a matter of inner strength at all.

Sherry_M Hi, from a new Blue Voice member
  • replies: 11

G'day, Just having a quick go with posting a thread & learning my way around the site. Looking forward to contributing.

G'day, Just having a quick go with posting a thread & learning my way around the site. Looking forward to contributing.

Trish2 lonely in isolation :(
  • replies: 4

Hey everyone! hope you're well during these times. I know I could certainly be a little better as I've just been feeling so lonely during isolation and I've been struggling to keep myself happy and entertained. I've tried a good old walk in the park ... View more

Hey everyone! hope you're well during these times. I know I could certainly be a little better as I've just been feeling so lonely during isolation and I've been struggling to keep myself happy and entertained. I've tried a good old walk in the park as well as reaching out to my friends online but it's not really doing it for me unfortunately. I've recently tried doing other things like gaming and writing but I find that I'm more of a social being and I like interacting more than anything. It's hard as not many of my friends are interested as much as me. Any ideas on what I could do?? Hope I'm not the only one experiencing it like this but would love to know your thoughts! Wishing a happy Easter to you all as well x

dani_kay Unhappy with who I am, feeling quite lonely

Hi everyone, My name is Dani. I am a single mum and it's just me and my son at home. My family live 3 hours away and especially during this self isolation stage I feel very lonely. I just miss a simple thing such as a hug. My days are so busy all the... View more

Hi everyone, My name is Dani. I am a single mum and it's just me and my son at home. My family live 3 hours away and especially during this self isolation stage I feel very lonely. I just miss a simple thing such as a hug. My days are so busy all the time, i work full time and raise my son on my own so it's exhausting. I have relied on alcohol to self medicate and am ashamed of it. I feel a bit lonely and lost at the moment. Thank you for reading this. Dani x

Saltyfish Just found out about my wife’s long term affair

Hi there, Not sure what to do, my life has been thrown upside down after I found out my wife has been having an affair for the last 8 years. I found out about it from my daughter who saw the messages on her computer. She has shared messages with my w... View more

Hi there, Not sure what to do, my life has been thrown upside down after I found out my wife has been having an affair for the last 8 years. I found out about it from my daughter who saw the messages on her computer. She has shared messages with my wife. I’ve confronted her about it and she admitted the affair. 8 years is 1/3 of my marriage. Her lovers wife doesn’t know about it. I have no idea how to broach the subject with her or if I should? I’m not the perfect husband, I have plenty of issues of my own and haven’t been the best but I have never cheated on her. She doesn’t want to split up, nor do I particularly but I don’t trust her anymore so not sure how to move forward. My health has taken a huge hit, have been to see my doctor for help to reduce my blood pressure which is now at dangerous levels. I have a 15 year old daughter and a 9 year old son to consider in all of this and they are my most important priority. I haven’t told anyone about it including our families due to the embarrassment and pain this has caused me. Devastated is an understatement. I would appreciate some advice from the community on what to do.

Amber_23 No future vision
  • replies: 2

Ive been married for 5 years to my husband we dated for 7 years prior. 2 years ago he quit his job to pursue a career at home. It didnt work out so now he is trying another job from home, he does not earn any money as yet. We were on the road to buyi... View more

Ive been married for 5 years to my husband we dated for 7 years prior. 2 years ago he quit his job to pursue a career at home. It didnt work out so now he is trying another job from home, he does not earn any money as yet. We were on the road to buying a house and having kids. Now he says he just wants to finish his work and hopefully never go back to a proper job again. He has not made any money in these 2 years. I have been patient letting him do this because i believe in having no regrets in life. Now i am 30 and we rent living week to week on my income. He has no vision of where we will be in a year and a child is nowhere in it anymore. I feel the pressure to have a child because of my age and because i want to have a family with him i believed he was my soul mate but now my vision of our future is blurry and he doesnt have any regular income. Am i crazy to stick with him even though he is so focused on himself now? We hardly have intimacy, he is always in the computer room. I dont know what to do please help me, i need guidance.