Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

cass_07 Feeling Lost
  • replies: 2

I am new to this and not sure how it works, am i aloud to post how i feel ?

I am new to this and not sure how it works, am i aloud to post how i feel ?

Tanz45 Workplace Blues
  • replies: 1

I suffer from anxiety and depression and take medication. I still have 'high' days and 'down' days regularly. This is now impacting my work as a couple of staff members don't understand my condition and pick my down days to push my buttons. This caus... View more

I suffer from anxiety and depression and take medication. I still have 'high' days and 'down' days regularly. This is now impacting my work as a couple of staff members don't understand my condition and pick my down days to push my buttons. This causes me to react badly. Any advice on how to deal with it? I'm currently off on sick leave to due high anxiety (mini melt down) and my dreading going back. I think I'll resign.....

Kat-007 Passing out a bit

For over a year, I have been 'fainting', almost everyday. It's not necessarily fainting, as I'm still semi-conscious, but to keep it simple I'll just refer it to that, otherwise I call it episodes, because I also get severe dizzyspells as well. It st... View more

For over a year, I have been 'fainting', almost everyday. It's not necessarily fainting, as I'm still semi-conscious, but to keep it simple I'll just refer it to that, otherwise I call it episodes, because I also get severe dizzyspells as well. It starts off with heart palpitations, shortness of breath, feeling numb/cold, and then as if I'm being pulled back. I also feel like I'm extremely disorientated and confused as well. I have had a lot of medical appointments and tests done to see what was going on. I've had four heart monitors, an MRI, two EEGs, and numerous blood tests. Everything came back fairly normal. I now have very few options left, and my mum and I are considering it to be a stress/anxiety problem. I've spoken to my psychologist about it, and she also agrees. I'm not too sure how to feel about it all. I guess it's good that we can finally find the cause, however I am not sure I want that o be the answer. I was fainting all of last year pretty much on the daily basis, however they've recently returned. Only last week when I was working I ended up passing out for the first time in a month (before that it was around three months). I just feel really upset about it, because I genuinely thought that everything was going alright. I scare quite a few people when I pass out, and there isn't necessarily a cause or reason as to why I get the symptoms before fainting. I feel extremely apologetic and guilty about it, because I have always been quite independent. I feel so embarrassed because I suddenly have a spotlight on me. I don't tell anyone when the symptoms begin to occur either, because they change and start goggling me. Like I'm some kind of young child. I'm still fairly young, being in high school, and I'm just afraid that my fainting spells will continue again. They cause me a lot of stress and I often find that I am behind in work. Just the feeling of not knowing when or where these spells can occur frightens me. I've already passed out on the stairs twice, and I'm tired of the bruises and scrapes I get from the falls. I just really want to be normal again, but these episodes just keep me feeling anxious about everything, which I'm sure isn't helping to the condition. I just want to know if there are others who have experienced this, because I really feel alone about it. Is there anything I could do? Anything anyone else did that helped? I just want to know some stories and find some sense of peace: that I'm not alone. Have a good day!

The_Observation Day 1; Post1; Step 1
  • replies: 4

Hi all. So I'm a newbie here and this is my first day and first post. I've struggled with depression for over 15 years and have gone through the entire gamete of ups and downs that go with it. I've been on meds for the past 6-7 years and I know that ... View more

Hi all. So I'm a newbie here and this is my first day and first post. I've struggled with depression for over 15 years and have gone through the entire gamete of ups and downs that go with it. I've been on meds for the past 6-7 years and I know that I'll be on meds for the rest of my life. I'm a very high functioning depressive and anyone who sees me would never know that anything was wrong. But I still carry a burden each day when work stops and the thoughts again begin to creep in. I have a very good perspective of my condition, but this has taken a longtime to create. I'm very open in discussing it amongst friends and am an advocate for mental health discussions particularly amongst men. However, I still battle each day with ups and downs and the stigma surrounding mental health from a work perspective, as do many a depressive. The societal mask I wear is well worn, like an old shoe that that just feels comfortable and can't be discarded. Only those closest are aware of the thoughts that bounce around my mind when things quieten down. The stigma of shame associated with depression is still strong. We need to breakdown the stigma that surrounds mental health in our society. To many voices go unheard until it's too late. Too many voices are with-held and internalised. The more we can converse in an open and supportive environment the stronger we can become, and the more voices we can hear. Im looking forward to learning about others journeys and how they have grown and thrived and sharing my stories to help others who feel they can't get there.

Foxy73 Any advise?

Hi all. I have been reading your posts & you guys are the reason I am able to reach out today - so thank you all. This is my first forum so I hope it is ok! My partner of 16 loving years is suffering depression. I am so proud of him as he is seeking ... View more

Hi all. I have been reading your posts & you guys are the reason I am able to reach out today - so thank you all. This is my first forum so I hope it is ok! My partner of 16 loving years is suffering depression. I am so proud of him as he is seeking treatment and trying to get well. However, I am struggling with his bad days when all he can see is the negative things. He feels lost and doesn't know what to do. He loves me and our life but thinks he should be alone. He doesn't want me to have to deal with it all. I can't seem to get through to him that I am here for him and he needs to be around people who love him. Any suggestions?

Dudge Hi everyone, new to this
  • replies: 1

Im a bit apprehensive about posting but thought I might give it a crack. Ive ignored my mental health for a while and I guess its catching up with me. Recent incidents have me very anxious at work and I find myself breaking down crying. Hope everyone... View more

Im a bit apprehensive about posting but thought I might give it a crack. Ive ignored my mental health for a while and I guess its catching up with me. Recent incidents have me very anxious at work and I find myself breaking down crying. Hope everyone is well

Nettaspagetta newbie- isolation layers
  • replies: 5

Hi all, I have had a quick look around the forums and hope to be able to read through them and not feel so alone. 2020 has been challenging year for all. Im not going to go into the family breakdown and very recent relationship breakdown Im dealing w... View more

Hi all, I have had a quick look around the forums and hope to be able to read through them and not feel so alone. 2020 has been challenging year for all. Im not going to go into the family breakdown and very recent relationship breakdown Im dealing with in 2020 , but its just put me into a bit of a slump, and IVe had anxiety / depression for years and years and am on medication. I just feel myself getting low in past 3 weeks but am reluctant to go see anyone as I find every counsellor/psychologist ends up the same- I feel like they dont get to the real nitty gritty of my issues. I dont know what it is - its like i convince them OK as i say and appear strong on the outside. Im an honest person , but no one seems to get the deep grief or self doubt as its hidden too deep. I do feel like I cant rely on anyone and from the outside I tick some boxes (ie. I have no good friends, not even 1, I have no friends in general. )or concern I guess. I have a couple of family members who i could reach out to. Im lucky I have that. these Isolation times dont give me hope that that can change. I work from home , i was studying a Masters (withdrew yesterday as cant keep it up with everything thats happened to this year) from home and a have one child still living with me and Ive never been able to connect with any parents in her class or sporting group. I am over 45 so how does one that age in these times make friends!!!!! There must be so many people out there who have no one. How do they do it.

Hein feeling inspired by being surrounded by so many brave souls in here
  • replies: 5

newby alert!! hi, this is my first post so i thought i best tell you all a little about myself... im 35 and have battled depression, anxiety and alcohol abuse since i was a teen. coming from a dysfunctional and abusive family with alcohol part of eve... View more

newby alert!! hi, this is my first post so i thought i best tell you all a little about myself... im 35 and have battled depression, anxiety and alcohol abuse since i was a teen. coming from a dysfunctional and abusive family with alcohol part of every day life and getting locked in the car while dad drinks in the pub was a norm. i abused alcohol from a teen and my mental health started becoming a issue in my late teens.the lack of support from my family left me feeling isolated and alone, constantly being told when im doing wrong triggered my anxiety because i was always walking on eggshells and would lie about little thing just to try make my parents happy and maybe proud of me..... my first attempt to take my own life came at 19 and life seemed to spiral from there, drinking missing work getting fired was my life, i believed i was a no hoper and i behaved accordingly. i managed to get life together enough to hold jobs but booze would bring me unstuck every time, id spiral into a deep hole of depression and medicate with booze, it wasnt unusual for me to go on 2,3,4,7,9 day benders that would land me in hospital, my 2nd suicide attempt came when i was 32 and on a 7 day bender, telling my boss my pop had died(again)...... that was the real catalyst, i tried and tried to change my ways but booze was always stalking me. id tell myself when i was drunk "this is the last time, im going to make a change tomorrow" then say to myself "shut up idiot we both know you're talking crap!" rock bottom came when i went on another booze bender and lied to work, i lied to people who looked after me and the guilt and shame was horrible...... i drank myself stupid for 3 weeks....finally i got some real help, i booked myself into a psychiatric rehab for 3 weeks.. i got to the root of my drinking and found it was my childhood trauma and PTSD from childhood..... it was a rough time but im proud to sit here and say that i am 8 months sober and my headspace is a lot better. i saw there was light at the end of the tunnel. it is a little lonely at times because i had to drop friends but it beats the alternative

Dwarfstar Hi friends

hello! I was browsing the online forums after a bit of a cry and realized a lot of people seem to be in the same boat as me. I noticed how much good reading through the posts helped me, and I wanted to jump in. So here it goes - Hi, my name is dwarfs... View more

hello! I was browsing the online forums after a bit of a cry and realized a lot of people seem to be in the same boat as me. I noticed how much good reading through the posts helped me, and I wanted to jump in. So here it goes - Hi, my name is dwarfstar. I'm in retail and haven't had much luck with work since the pandemic. I find it's harder to find joy in the little things now the days are really starting to blend together. That's something I'm hoping to change. Thank goodness for pets!! Talk soon.

JacintaMarie Negative thoughts
  • replies: 47

Hi This is my first time here. I have anxiety, sometimes I don't know the trigger, it could be making a mistake, or talking, I have zero belief in myself and usually think I'm bad. At work, I apologize too much and always think (or perhaps I do) say ... View more

Hi This is my first time here. I have anxiety, sometimes I don't know the trigger, it could be making a mistake, or talking, I have zero belief in myself and usually think I'm bad. At work, I apologize too much and always think (or perhaps I do) say stupid things (well the sarcastic comments tell me it is) and I feel pathetic for being too sensitive. Recently I'm gotten so upset that I cry, mainly from frustration, which isn't right, I shouldn't because it's a minor thing, especially with the world Iike it is, but there it is. I have been trying meditation and all that but still the negative thoughts come, sometimes my thoughts go to the negative about work people which I am horrified by, they haven't done anything. I am trying to be grateful and when my mind goes to the negative I feel bad because I'm complaining and so the cycle goes around. I'm nearly 38 and I have everything you need to be happy but I'm not. I have thought about suicide, I feel like a waste of a person on this earth, I don't do anything. Also too I feel like a drama queen for overreacting over small things which shouldn't matter, especially when others have had it worse, why do I feel like this, I've had a good lucky life!!! Thanks for reading this,