Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

ocean-man Hi, I'm new here.
  • replies: 1

I'm a 15 year old boy currently trying (sometimes unsuccessfully) to get through high school. I heard about BeyondBlue in many places and figured it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to try it out. I'm mostly just here to browse, but I might end up talk... View more

I'm a 15 year old boy currently trying (sometimes unsuccessfully) to get through high school. I heard about BeyondBlue in many places and figured it wouldn't be too bad of an idea to try it out. I'm mostly just here to browse, but I might end up talking about myself or maybe making some friends. I don't know. I don't have many hobbies but I do enjoy videogames and TV (like most sane people). I also like reading and being with my pets. Thanks for reading

Blues21 Newbie on here
  • replies: 3

Hi everyone I’m new on here, I have been struggling with anxiety/panic attacks for the last 5 years, the attacks come on just out of the blue without any warning. I might get them 2 - 3 times a week or none for a few weeks.

Hi everyone I’m new on here, I have been struggling with anxiety/panic attacks for the last 5 years, the attacks come on just out of the blue without any warning. I might get them 2 - 3 times a week or none for a few weeks.

Grego791 Hello
  • replies: 7

Hi I’m really just sad a lot of the time and I think I have hit my breaking point. Being a dude it’s hard to talk to my work mates about how I’m feeling. I haven’t been right since my dad died 2 years ago and I have been struggling with that. It’s co... View more

Hi I’m really just sad a lot of the time and I think I have hit my breaking point. Being a dude it’s hard to talk to my work mates about how I’m feeling. I haven’t been right since my dad died 2 years ago and I have been struggling with that. It’s coming up to his death anniversary. I kinda feel like an idiot writing this sorry guys.

Annie5678 Hi, I'm new here
  • replies: 7

Hello everyone, I've just joined, and hoping to get some support. Thanks.

Hello everyone, I've just joined, and hoping to get some support. Thanks.

RJ2020 Why do I feel like this?
  • replies: 4

i dont really know what im doing so ill just introduce myself, Hi I'm Riley. I have mild-severe anxiety, mild social anxiety, ptsd and mild depression. i feel isolated when people who arent in my circle stare at me or I feel sad. i tend to cry myself... View more

i dont really know what im doing so ill just introduce myself, Hi I'm Riley. I have mild-severe anxiety, mild social anxiety, ptsd and mild depression. i feel isolated when people who arent in my circle stare at me or I feel sad. i tend to cry myself into deep thought or sleep I want to know how to cope better I just cant find healthy ways to cope when I zone out and.....it makes my head and chest hurt and tighten. i feel like I'm never good enough and I don't meet anyone expectations of me. i feel shut off, trapped, concealed everyone thinks I'm very happy and comfortable with my life but I'm not. i want to feel good about myself and I don't want people to look at me and me to just think oh god their judging me....Please someone help.

Nobodee From a caterpillar into transition to a beautiful butterfly
  • replies: 14

Hi all. Just joined up & have nothing to say about myself yet whilst going through transition into a beautiful butterfly. In the meantime I'll just browse about until i feel comfortable to open up. Perhaps can contribute if able.

Hi all. Just joined up & have nothing to say about myself yet whilst going through transition into a beautiful butterfly. In the meantime I'll just browse about until i feel comfortable to open up. Perhaps can contribute if able.

Isaac98 Anyone else hate this country due to authoritarianism and anti-intellectual culture?
  • replies: 20

I know this is a weird question on a mental health organisation, but I have nowhere to turn since I'm pretty lonely due to my cultural differences. I can't even trust almost any Australian person, I only have American friends aside from one neighbour... View more

I know this is a weird question on a mental health organisation, but I have nowhere to turn since I'm pretty lonely due to my cultural differences. I can't even trust almost any Australian person, I only have American friends aside from one neighbour in real life and I always feel so bitter without much of an outlet.

Jolly_Chaplin Fatigue and lost motivation
  • replies: 15

Hello all. Chris here. Hope your day is going ok. If you have any of the following, please leave a comment, if you wish, and I may be able to help you. - Everything you do feels like an effort - You've given up hope, and feel that nothing will cure y... View more

Hello all. Chris here. Hope your day is going ok. If you have any of the following, please leave a comment, if you wish, and I may be able to help you. - Everything you do feels like an effort - You've given up hope, and feel that nothing will cure you - You don't see the point in trying - Overall, you're tired and wondering why you can't reclaim your energy? Many people feel these feelings in their lifetime, but you do have the power to change how frequently these emotions occur. There is hope for you if you're willing to make some changes. Now, you shouldn't expect immediate results. These things can sometimes take some time, so don't give up just yet. Small steps are sometimes all you need. You also shouldn't feel weak for seeking help from others. You are actually a stronger person to open up. Hope you're going well, and I look forward to seeing what I can do for you. -Chris

Sophie_M Reflecting Back on October
  • replies: 0

Hi Everyone, Welcome to all new members who have joined over the last month and thank you for everyone stepping in to support others who have reached out within the forums community. We hope everyone continues to be gentle with themselves as we appro... View more

Hi Everyone, Welcome to all new members who have joined over the last month and thank you for everyone stepping in to support others who have reached out within the forums community. We hope everyone continues to be gentle with themselves as we approach the end of the year which we recognise can be a stressful time for many. Community Voices: What are people talking about? Loneliness Even though I am married with kids I feel so empty and lonely. I have never been great at making friends or keeping them, as a child/teenager I was always to scared to bring friends home because you never knew when my dad was in a good or bad mood and he is the type of person that thought everyone should think and believe in what he did and looked down on those who didn’t. - Lonely Cookie (Read more here) I've recently dropped a whole lot of toxic friends and friends who just never put in any effort. One of the big things for my depression is that I'm really lonely. Does anyone have any good suggestions on good places or hobbies to make new friends for people in their late 20s? - Lolue (Read more here) Recently I’ve been feeling really sad and lonely when I’m alone. I feel sad about how few friends I have, how that there must be something wrong with me because I can’t make more friends and can’t find a healthy, reciprocal relationship/boyfriend. I compare myself to every other girl seeing them as really fun to be around and interesting, and that I have no personality and no fun traits. - Von is lost (Read more here) Understanding physical symptoms related to anxiety Hello, I am a 22 year old male. Recently after a tough time in life, I was diagnosed with GAD. Been getting headaches for a few weeks already, went to get a CT scan done and a full physical examination with the results being negative for anything serious. I am aware that anxiety can cause headaches, but is it normal to feel them even on days that you don't feel anxious? - artiste9909 (Read more here) some mornings i wake up, i feel as though someone has been sitting on my chest the whole night. I occasionally wake up with muscular pains in my chest/ chest area. A wrong movement and i am in pain. The pain goes away but seems to come back after a couple of weeks and so on. - Larks98 (Read more here) This is the first time I’ve ever logged on to one of these pages before and it’s cool to find people going through the same thing. I find that my symptoms are often hard to differentiate from just a head cold. I regularly experience, headaches and it feels as if there’s pressure between my eyebrows and forehead. I also get that typical churned stomach feeling and IBS like symptoms and my long sighted vision isn’t clear when I’m anxious. I often get hot flushes as well, which triggers a stream of thoughts that I’m unwell which causes me more anxiety. - User260990 (Read more here) Self-care strategies anxiety and depression for me only comes from a few sources. Unfortunately they are essential, so learning to cope with the source was a must. sometimes i have to remove myself, sometimes i have to write in my journal. This got me thinking, What is a trigger for you, and how do you overcome it? - Not_Batman (Read more here) We can do it BBers, we can do self-care. Sleepy21 pointed out research that shows self-care REALLY helps! Please share what you do for self-care so we can get inspiration, ideas and motivation to do it too. – ecomama (Read more here) Ever feel like everything happens to you? Feel like something wrong is just bound to happen in any given experience? Instead, think ‘Things are happening for me.’ The key element here is seeing things as an opportunity. A chance to change, grow, become a better person by picking that path which is true to yourself. - Jolly Chaplin (Read more here) Valued Contributor Award Our Valued Contributor for the month of October is sunnyl20! sunnyl20 has been nominated for always ensuring they enter a conversation on the forums with empathy and often responds in a way that is friendly, respectful and in a way that demonstrates a genuine concern for another’s wellbeing. Thank you for all your contributions sunnyl20! To read more about what a Valued Contributor is and how you can nominate a fellow community member, please refer to our thread Nominate a Valued Contributor here: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support BB Resources New content continues to be published weekly on Beyond Blue’s Coronavirus Mental Wellbeing Support Service webpage. Feel free to sign up to receive regular email updates on a range of free support options: https://beyondblue.secure.force.com/c19signup/ You may wish to also check out some of the most recent content below: "I just felt so empty" – the break from AFL football Lin Jong knew he needed Living with physical disability during COVID-19: William’s story How the pandemic has impacted children with disability and their families Living in an aged care home: Desmond and Carol’s stories Focus on forums: Tips on getting a good night’s sleep

Jacks101 Panic disorder natural remedies
  • replies: 6

Hi all as the title says I’m looking for something natural I’m so sick n tired of the strong side affects from heavy SSRIs, I’ve heard of redicalm but heard no real reviews, has anyone else had any luck with something natural. Looking forward to any ... View more

Hi all as the title says I’m looking for something natural I’m so sick n tired of the strong side affects from heavy SSRIs, I’ve heard of redicalm but heard no real reviews, has anyone else had any luck with something natural. Looking forward to any comments thankyou