Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Yeah_ Ready to give up
  • replies: 3

I’m ready to give up, but I’m holding on so tight for my kids. I’m a single mum with extremely horrible depression and anxiety, my anxiety stops me from seeing a doctor to help with my mental health. it’s getting harder every single day because I fee... View more

I’m ready to give up, but I’m holding on so tight for my kids. I’m a single mum with extremely horrible depression and anxiety, my anxiety stops me from seeing a doctor to help with my mental health. it’s getting harder every single day because I feel like if I tell someone about my mental health, then they will judge me. I know that they won’t but that is what I think! I feel like they will think I’m over exaggerating ,because I’ve had doctors look at me like I’m just being dramatic. sometimes I just wish that They could feel the pain that I’m feeling. every single day it gets harder but nobody knows how I feel inside because I know how to hide it really well But i’m afraid if I keep everything inside for much longer that I’m just going to explode I feel like I’m going crazy.

kiwi5678 parents expectations + school
  • replies: 2

hey guys just a brief description about me- im in year 12, 17 years old and a pakistani female. ive lived in australia for nearly my whole life. i just joined this in hopes that it would make me a tad bit better, especially since i get very nervous w... View more

hey guys just a brief description about me- im in year 12, 17 years old and a pakistani female. ive lived in australia for nearly my whole life. i just joined this in hopes that it would make me a tad bit better, especially since i get very nervous when i talk face to face about my problems. ive been having issues with prioritising myself over others and whenever i feel like i care too much about the other person, i end up getting too hurt way quickly. whenever i tell this to my mum she always tells me to keep my chin up high and focus on myself but no matter how much i try i cant. ive been too involved within meeting societies expectations, that i feel that i have caused my friends and family to further develop more expectations to do well in my relationship with them and in studies (when it comes to parents). i try to do well at school, but i end up disappointing myself and my family with scores averaging 50-60% considering the fact that they are doctors and engineers. i guess i also feel pressured in this way to do well because of my family history of such good professions, and if i were to do terrible and get a bad atar, i would be a misfit which would cause a lot of gossip between my family friends (eg "look at her, her parents kept telling us she was going to do engineering but look how she embarrased them, what a shame etc"). it just feels so wrong for me to do the subjects that im doing now because in the back of my head, all im thinking about is what people will think and that im only doing these vce subjects for the people around me, not myself. i dont feel ANY happiness or hope about the future when i study. i feel nothing. numb. sometimes i would just freeze up, stare at my work and cry because i didnt want to do this. im doing this to make my parents happy. dont get me wrong- i love them i really do. but it hurts knowing that its too late to tell them how i feel about this since im already in year 12. i guess in the end, whatever happens, happens. i just want them to understand that my wellbeing is more important than an atar which will only matter for 2 years. ok- this kind of helped me to articulate what im feeling right now and i hope you guys understand where im coming from, i hope it wasnt too confusing. if it was hard to understand, its totally fine, at least i found a way to share my problems. thanks. all love.

Tash_93 Hey! :)

Hey everyone, I’ve always been a really bubbly and happy person, whilst having horrid anxiety and depression. The last few years has gotten worse and its seems harder to cope using my current mechanisms (going to the gym and focusing on work). Seeing... View more

Hey everyone, I’ve always been a really bubbly and happy person, whilst having horrid anxiety and depression. The last few years has gotten worse and its seems harder to cope using my current mechanisms (going to the gym and focusing on work). Seeing everyone’s introductions have been great and I feel less alone.

bitter_biscuit Struggling
  • replies: 5

Hey guys Recently, my body has felt so out of tune... I've been getting heart palpitations, shortness of breath and every physical symptom you can think of...They happen pretty much everyday even when I'm not having a panic attack. Every morning I wa... View more

Hey guys Recently, my body has felt so out of tune... I've been getting heart palpitations, shortness of breath and every physical symptom you can think of...They happen pretty much everyday even when I'm not having a panic attack. Every morning I wake up I am anxious and hopeless. I find that there is no longer joy in my life. I went to my GP today and they confirmed nothing was wrong with my physical health, and referred me to a psychologist. I haven't been yet but I really hope that one day I can return to my regular self and be happy again. Has anyone else also experienced similar physical sensations with their body? And if so how are you holding up now? I sometimes get this dreadful feeling that I'm about to die... I hope everyone is doing their best and taking things day by day :))

Jlee_lily Hello I am new
  • replies: 4

Hi all.. Im new here, I’ve never seemed help before. I guess this is my first step. I’m not 100% myself and I haven’t been for a while now.. has anyone else experienced so much sadness but not knowing why? My life I know isn’t bad.. and I have t gone... View more

Hi all.. Im new here, I’ve never seemed help before. I guess this is my first step. I’m not 100% myself and I haven’t been for a while now.. has anyone else experienced so much sadness but not knowing why? My life I know isn’t bad.. and I have t gone through anything traumatic. But I find I am not myself. I cry historically over minor things, I think very negative and I find I self sabotage my relationship and cause arguments for no reason. I don’t know what to do. I’ve lost my happy self and I feel like I’ve been trapped in a vicious cycle for such a long time now.

AnneRa Hello
  • replies: 3

Hi, everybody I have a problem with fears... Intellectually, I know there's nothing real about these fears, but I can't help it... I am being treated and I hope that I can just tell you here about the painful things that are happening to me Thank you... View more

Hi, everybody I have a problem with fears... Intellectually, I know there's nothing real about these fears, but I can't help it... I am being treated and I hope that I can just tell you here about the painful things that are happening to me Thank you for your understanding and support !

o0 3ree6ixty 0o Hi
  • replies: 5

Hi I am a 14 year old boy in nsw suffering depression the cause of my depression is from being bullied in primary school

Hi I am a 14 year old boy in nsw suffering depression the cause of my depression is from being bullied in primary school

buddy1610 20+ years of Anxiety and Depression

Hi everyone,I’ve been on antidepressants for over 20 years for anxiety and depression tried several different ones and doses. My current dose is working but I still have small amount of anxiety and depression. I would just like some feedback from any... View more

Hi everyone,I’ve been on antidepressants for over 20 years for anxiety and depression tried several different ones and doses. My current dose is working but I still have small amount of anxiety and depression. I would just like some feedback from anyone in a similar situation? Your feedback will help so much thank you