Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Myles_F Going to work
  • replies: 7

Hello, I am new and this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get up to go to work? I find that as soon as my alarm goes off, I get depressed at the thought of going to work so I automatically call in sick. I would like... View more

Hello, I am new and this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get up to go to work? I find that as soon as my alarm goes off, I get depressed at the thought of going to work so I automatically call in sick. I would like to hear from others with this problem. I really appreciate it.

pl515p1 Between Two Worlds
  • replies: 1

How long do you think one can exist in two worlds before one must give out to the other? Some find an escape by diving into their work, others delve into art and it's variety of mediums as escapism, while for some, substances become their way of copi... View more

How long do you think one can exist in two worlds before one must give out to the other? Some find an escape by diving into their work, others delve into art and it's variety of mediums as escapism, while for some, substances become their way of coping. I have found my other world, in this other world my father is alive, he is here, I can interact with him, and we can be free once more, I know these are only dreams, but right now my dreams are far more pleasant than my life. Since I broke down a fortnight ago I have been sleeping much more, sometimes 18 hours. Two times this week I have fallen asleep at 6pm and did not wake up until noon the next day. In a way it is similar to drugs, as when I awake and reality hits I crash down hard. And it is also impeding my life, but in some ways I don't care...these dreams, these dream are an oasis, I cannot describe how I feel. I believe that dad is visiting me to support me, and encourage me to regain myself, but each time he is about to reveal the next plot of the journey I wake up. My counsellor has said that my mind and body are exhausted, and I need rest, so I am allowing myself time for that, but this tightrope teeters between the two planes, where one is full of endless possibilities, and the other feels robbed of possibilities. It is hard, as I feel my mind and heart yearn to be there more than here, I know sooner or later a choice must be made, perhaps dad will show me the way once more. I guess it is similar to The Matrix in some ways, I know that world is not reality, but knowing that merely opens it up for even more freedom... The mind is such an unexplored place, it holds more possibilities than stars in the sky.

NeekieJ Hello
  • replies: 2

Hi all I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I'm just looking for some understanding and support throughout my journey from others who have been there and get it. Thank you

Hi all I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I'm just looking for some understanding and support throughout my journey from others who have been there and get it. Thank you

MaxPotential Self-victimising and self-destructive, but time for self-mastery!
  • replies: 3

Hi All! So pleased that I have found this forum and am brave enough to reach out for support! I couldn't have done that 12 months ago as I was too busy blaming others, blaming the world, rather than looking to the one place where the answers might be... View more

Hi All! So pleased that I have found this forum and am brave enough to reach out for support! I couldn't have done that 12 months ago as I was too busy blaming others, blaming the world, rather than looking to the one place where the answers might be found, myself. Now that the barriers are down, I think I can drag myself out of the pit I have dug for myself. That said, I am very isolated and could really use some support, so I really hope I will find it here. Every great journey begins with just one step! Onwards and upwards! Matt

Klatremus I know I'm most likely not hopeless but neurochemistry disagrees :(
  • replies: 2

Hello friendly people, The strange title is not the most positive of introductions, but then I guess depressing stuff is what the forum is for. I am already trying hard not to apologise for myself. I often feel like I am two people. One is kind of co... View more

Hello friendly people, The strange title is not the most positive of introductions, but then I guess depressing stuff is what the forum is for. I am already trying hard not to apologise for myself. I often feel like I am two people. One is kind of confident and surfs along most of the time, but when something goes wrong (and it can be the smallest little, stupidest little thing), my world suddenly plummets into the abyss of anxiety and/or depression and this other self-flagellating pathetic whimp who cannot seem to get out of the stupid-thinking loop all of a sudden inhabits my body. Who the is that? My childhood self? How can I convince that child that everything will be ok? And who is this talking now? Psycho-therapeut self? I am not even qualified.... Is this normal to feel like you are several people at once? It's like I cannot determine who is the real "me". All of them? Probably, but how do I stay the confident "me", even when stupid little things happen? I have tried talking to myself (like you would reason with a child), but then time goes and the same happens again. The programming isn't working. The worst thing is I now worry that someone will reply and give me great advice, but I will look at it and be too anxious to even reply, because I am worried about committing to something...that doesn't even exist. I hope I am not scaring people away, because I seem to be good at that, at least. Pushing people away. It is how I stay safe. Like I am scared to live, or something. I hope you all feel better than me today. Seriously. Thank you for letting me post.

I_havenoideawhathappened Confused and new-what happened to me
  • replies: 7

Hi, Thank you for allowing me to say ‘hi’ and introduce myself. I really do appreciate it. I’m not sure what has happened to me. It feels as though I’ve woken up, and months and months have passed by. I have virtually no memory of April; zero recolle... View more

Hi, Thank you for allowing me to say ‘hi’ and introduce myself. I really do appreciate it. I’m not sure what has happened to me. It feels as though I’ve woken up, and months and months have passed by. I have virtually no memory of April; zero recollection of February and March; January is fuzzy as is December 2020. I’ve lost six kilograms from what I thought I weighed. I’ve spent a lot of money..a lot of money, and started using again (no memory of deciding to do this!) My relationships with those close to me are all strained, especially my partner who I absolutely adore. It appears I have asked her for money, and lied to her repeatedly, and I have no recollection whatsoever of doing this. Reading through emails is bizarre. I can’t recognise my writing. This has never happens to me before (to my knowledge) and I’m kind of scared. I mean, some of the stupid things I’ve apparently done do not make any sense to me. I’m in my early 40s, stable good job, and somehow, apparently I decided to use again (opiates). I have zero memory of rationalising this. It’s as though I’ve woken up, and my life has been trashed. I’m trying to understand what happened to me, primarily so it doesn’t ever happen again. I never want to experience this again, it’s such a strange sensation. I can’t pin point an exact start date, possibly December 2021, although there’s no way I could be sure. Over the past two weeks, things have slowly become clearer, and it’s becoming apparent that I’ve experienced some sort of break down, I don’t know. Appreciate any advice. Thanks

LQ23 I’m new and nervous
  • replies: 44

Hi I’m not sure where to start I’ve let the people I care about down and don’t know how to make it right

Hi I’m not sure where to start I’ve let the people I care about down and don’t know how to make it right

AmethystWolf An introduction of sorts
  • replies: 6

Hi all, Don't really know where to begin honestly, just know I want to reach out. I'm 36 years old & about 2/3 years ago I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder & moderate to severe depression. I spent time in therapy, progressed well (so I... View more

Hi all, Don't really know where to begin honestly, just know I want to reach out. I'm 36 years old & about 2/3 years ago I was diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder & moderate to severe depression. I spent time in therapy, progressed well (so I thought) but lately it feels like the black dog has me firmly by the throat. Actually, feels like I'm dancing the edge of burnout. I work as a bartender/waitress & while it is a full on job I don't feel like its the type of job that would be associated with burnout, most of the time I really enjoy my job. I love the people I work with, the managers are lenient & fair, the pay is pretty decent & I'm good at it. At the moment though I feel like the smallest things are irrationally irritating me. Like inducing rage reactions. On top of work my husband & I are trying to find a new rental home in a town that has next to no available (or within budget) rentals. But it feels like he has done absolutely nothing towards trying to find a place. I'm the one that has been doing all the applications, arranging viewings & trying to pack up our current house. When I ask him to do simple tasks its like talking to a teenager, I'm greeted with huffs, puffs, groans & I'm just finding myself wanting to punch him (I won't actually hit him I don't have it in me but he is driving me up the wall & not just in that way that wives say in jest). I constantly feel like I am standing out on a limb just waiting for it to break. I have friends I speak to regularly but I'm starting to feel like I'm unfairly burdening them with my issues. That thought sends me down a rabbit hole that I'm struggling to get out of. My self esteem is subterranean. I don't feel like I add anything of value to anyone's life, everytime I talk to loved ones its all the same, all negative. I fear I'm boring them or that I'm not good enough. I should've mentioned (and the therapist made constant notes about) I'm very self aware. I know when I'm caught in the cycle, I practise the coping mechanisms but when I'm in the cycle I really have to fight to get out of it. I know the negative self talk doesn't help but I can't stop which results in annoyance at self which creates more negative self talk & so on. I have zero libidio either which of course is a sore spot in my marriage. I actually started questioning lately if I might be Asexual so there's that too. Constantly feeling like I'm just spinning my wheels and going nowhere. Its a deep soul exhaustion. *long exhale*

Lloydincanberra My anger
  • replies: 5

I am a single Dad with joint custody of my 16yo son. I moved here from interstate a while ago and am very lonely I have no friends here and all my extended family are interstate. I am constantly anxious that I am overreacting to perceived issues. Whe... View more

I am a single Dad with joint custody of my 16yo son. I moved here from interstate a while ago and am very lonely I have no friends here and all my extended family are interstate. I am constantly anxious that I am overreacting to perceived issues. When I think about things after I have reacted I always realise that I was wrong - always. I am deeply concerned that I am having a negative effect on my son. I love him unconditionally and would anything for him. I have nobody to talk to without being judged and I just need someone to talk to that can maybe offer advice .

Split_peas Confused, worn down, rock bottom
  • replies: 12

Hi all, I’m 44 and have been having some strange mental health symptoms start up about 5 years ago. I also had undiagnosed issues as a child. I have been trying to get a diagnosis but can’t get help. I’ve been to so many dr, psychologist, psychiatris... View more

Hi all, I’m 44 and have been having some strange mental health symptoms start up about 5 years ago. I also had undiagnosed issues as a child. I have been trying to get a diagnosis but can’t get help. I’ve been to so many dr, psychologist, psychiatrist etc. no one is diagnosing me with anything but they keep telling me I have a bunch of things and offering me anti depressants. This won’t help me. I’ve now given up and am too scared to go to a dr because any more rejections or shoulder shrugging will tip me over. I lost my job last year after telling them about these problems. I was forced to resign. Worked there for 18 years. I am lost and don’t think I will be able to cope alone soon