Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

tj_shutter New here and currently struggling
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, Was searching for a way to be able to connect and talk with others, currently really struggling with my PTSD, Anxiety and Depression. Kind of ramped up a few nights ago when my wife said that she no longer felt romantic love for me. Some... View more

Hi everyone, Was searching for a way to be able to connect and talk with others, currently really struggling with my PTSD, Anxiety and Depression. Kind of ramped up a few nights ago when my wife said that she no longer felt romantic love for me. Someone who has been my best friend and soulmate kind of rejecting you is really hurting at the moment. The relationship isn't over but in my PTSD mind it feels like whole world has now come crashing down, and questioning what the point of living is. Hoping to hear from others who might be in a similar boat and can chat. As those with PTSD will know it can be hard to maintain friendships, so don't really have anyone else to share how I'm feeling with

Here2Talk Hi fellow humans
  • replies: 9

Hi all. How are you doing? I have been studying psychology for some years now - in honours (4th year) at the moment. I joined this community actually because I want to help others (hence the username), and then it occurred to me that this is a recipr... View more

Hi all. How are you doing? I have been studying psychology for some years now - in honours (4th year) at the moment. I joined this community actually because I want to help others (hence the username), and then it occurred to me that this is a reciprocal forum, and thus I should share my own story, or something...... I have had terrible generalised (towards everything) and social anxiety since.... well ever since I remember being able to remember really. Small bouts of depression here and there but generalised anxiety mainly and the social anxiety developing around 9 years of age. I have just entered my 30s this year. I have two wonderful children and work full time and still study at uni part time and have various creative projects I am trying to do at the same time as well. ... Sitting in a coffee shop writing this thinking gee I really should be home studying.. Apart from creative endeavours and my ambitions, I want to help alleviate some of the suffering for others in this world - Lord knows people’s lives are just overflowing with psychological suffering... If this thread finds you, I wish you health and happiness.

GRADYCAKES Undiagnosed and hurting
  • replies: 3

I have been isolating and watching things online after I have an episode, I hate that I can't control my emotions. I feel like a dog that's got a switch immediately to anger from being happy. I can't focus on a damn thing, I obsess over things until ... View more

I have been isolating and watching things online after I have an episode, I hate that I can't control my emotions. I feel like a dog that's got a switch immediately to anger from being happy. I can't focus on a damn thing, I obsess over things until it quickly becomes numb to me even if I've enjoyed it. I don't even know where to begin but I know something isn't right and I just want to know what, for my own benefit or vindication that I'm not a bad person. I'm just a guy who wants to be a good dad and an even better husband. why does everything have to be so hard.

Sophie_M Site Maintenance - Brief Forum outage 26 May
  • replies: 0

Dear Community members, There will be a brief website outage on the 26th of May from 12am - 4am in order to upgrade and maintain our online systems. This maintenance is expected to take approximately 4 hours, however due to the nature of the work, ma... View more

Dear Community members, There will be a brief website outage on the 26th of May from 12am - 4am in order to upgrade and maintain our online systems. This maintenance is expected to take approximately 4 hours, however due to the nature of the work, may take a little longer. During this maintenance access to the forums will be down - we apologise for any distress this may cause and will be working to make this as short a disruption as possible. If you need support while the forums are not available, please call Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline 13 11 14. You are not alone if you need help, we are here to support you. If at any time you feel that you are unsafe, please know that this is an emergency and you should call 000 immediately. Thank you for your understanding as we continue to improve the online experience. Kind regards, Sophie M

Tony49xxxx Becoming overwhelmed with many chronic illnesses
  • replies: 3

I’m becoming overwhelmed with so many chronic illnesses 10 years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and whilst having x-rays for that they also noticed I had bladder cancer and I had multiple operations for both a little time after that I found... View more

I’m becoming overwhelmed with so many chronic illnesses 10 years ago I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and whilst having x-rays for that they also noticed I had bladder cancer and I had multiple operations for both a little time after that I found my kidneys were failing functioning fair at the moment and then I was told I have glaucoma which I’ve been treated for and now I’m struggling to get around I need a knee replacement everything is just getting on top of me I live alone haven’t got any family and I want to talk

Single_Mum2021 Stuggling Single Mum who needs help!!!
  • replies: 4

Hey there everyone not really sure if this what you say or even where to begin or if this is even the right place for what I need but here I am, im a single mum with a beautiful young two year old boy. I love him so much and would never ever hurt him... View more

Hey there everyone not really sure if this what you say or even where to begin or if this is even the right place for what I need but here I am, im a single mum with a beautiful young two year old boy. I love him so much and would never ever hurt him so please keep that in mind. I’m struggling so much to want to hang out with him recently. He has become so cheeky and just throws everything and spits every where. He screams and shouts and just constantly being a cheeky boy. I work three days a week and take him to child care on one of those days, the rest of the time he stays with family. I live at home with all my family memebers, it’s just constant arguing A LOT not sure if that play a major roll. I have no authority for him anymore (what ground rules I set for him eg no chocolate the rest of my family meme era just ignore and give him everything). basically I’m just not happy being a mum at the moment in my life I’m struggling a lot, and it makes me feel even more guilty feeling this way. I have no patience at all and just have become more angry. Please help in desperate need.

MiloTiger Anxiety
  • replies: 6

Hi not sure how this is going to go but I have been suffering with anxiety for about 8 years but just lately I have been getting really dizzy and feeling full in the head just wanted to know if anyone else feels this and what they do to try and get t... View more

Hi not sure how this is going to go but I have been suffering with anxiety for about 8 years but just lately I have been getting really dizzy and feeling full in the head just wanted to know if anyone else feels this and what they do to try and get through the day thanks

Myles_F Going to work
  • replies: 7

Hello, I am new and this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get up to go to work? I find that as soon as my alarm goes off, I get depressed at the thought of going to work so I automatically call in sick. I would like... View more

Hello, I am new and this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to get up to go to work? I find that as soon as my alarm goes off, I get depressed at the thought of going to work so I automatically call in sick. I would like to hear from others with this problem. I really appreciate it.

pl515p1 Between Two Worlds
  • replies: 1

How long do you think one can exist in two worlds before one must give out to the other? Some find an escape by diving into their work, others delve into art and it's variety of mediums as escapism, while for some, substances become their way of copi... View more

How long do you think one can exist in two worlds before one must give out to the other? Some find an escape by diving into their work, others delve into art and it's variety of mediums as escapism, while for some, substances become their way of coping. I have found my other world, in this other world my father is alive, he is here, I can interact with him, and we can be free once more, I know these are only dreams, but right now my dreams are far more pleasant than my life. Since I broke down a fortnight ago I have been sleeping much more, sometimes 18 hours. Two times this week I have fallen asleep at 6pm and did not wake up until noon the next day. In a way it is similar to drugs, as when I awake and reality hits I crash down hard. And it is also impeding my life, but in some ways I don't care...these dreams, these dream are an oasis, I cannot describe how I feel. I believe that dad is visiting me to support me, and encourage me to regain myself, but each time he is about to reveal the next plot of the journey I wake up. My counsellor has said that my mind and body are exhausted, and I need rest, so I am allowing myself time for that, but this tightrope teeters between the two planes, where one is full of endless possibilities, and the other feels robbed of possibilities. It is hard, as I feel my mind and heart yearn to be there more than here, I know sooner or later a choice must be made, perhaps dad will show me the way once more. I guess it is similar to The Matrix in some ways, I know that world is not reality, but knowing that merely opens it up for even more freedom... The mind is such an unexplored place, it holds more possibilities than stars in the sky.

NeekieJ Hello
  • replies: 2

Hi all I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I'm just looking for some understanding and support throughout my journey from others who have been there and get it. Thank you

Hi all I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I'm just looking for some understanding and support throughout my journey from others who have been there and get it. Thank you