FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxious about abnormal Pap test

Suz0
Community Member

Hi all, another nervous Nellie here. I suffer from anxiety as it is - but I have just come for a Pap test and the doctor said he noted bleeding easily of the cervix during the test, a lump on one side and a black mark in the other side of my cervix 😞 I have had a callback previously that apparently resolved itself years ago at the next test.

Are there any forums for HPV or cervical cancer? I hope I don’t have cancer😞

4 Replies 4

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Dear SuzQ,

A very warm and caring welcome to our forums ..

I am so sorry that you have had an abnormal Pap test..

I also really hope and pray that you don’t have cancer..

That would be a horrible and very anxious time your going through..

I think the best way to try to get through this time is to put your trust in your Drs...I know that is hard to do...I have heart problems..and at first I worried so much about the outcome of my tests...Then I realised that worrying only made me feel worse because at times I was so scared I couldn’t eat or sleep....and that’s not good for our health...

I really do wish you the very best..and wanted to let you know that I am listening and hope that I can support you through this hard and scary time your going through...Talk here beautiful SuzQ..any time you feel up to it..

Sending you my kindest thoughts lovely lady with my care and prayers..

Grandy..

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Suz0,

I understand this would be a scary time to go through I understand……

Please take calm in knowing that I know two people who have gone through abnormal Pap smears…. And are both ok…..One had a knife cone biopsy done and it came back as clear margins on both sides…… had clear results since this procedure……….

Yes please trust your doctors as Grandy has said……. Just follow their procedures……

Wishing you all the best and one piece of advice please don’t google symptoms it only makes things worse… trust your doctors…

im here to chat

missep123
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Suz0,

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. I also get anxious when it comes to call-backs or medical situations.

First of all I just want to say that I am very proud of you for getting a Pap smear, a lot of women don't go and get one out of fear. You have taken that very important first step so I think you should be proud of yourself.

Wishing you all the best with your doctor's appointment, may I ask when is it?

I know that waiting can be so difficult but please know that we are here for you and please let us know how you are feeling.

Pumpkinella
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Suz0!

I had a similar experience in which I had an abnormal cell reading and suffer anxiety, so I was convinced I had cancer. I actually booked an appointment with the doctor again just to talk about how much anxiety I had and to get some reassurance. Doctors can never say anything with 100% certainty and some are definitely better than others and being able to help you with your anxiety. But if you find one you are comfortable with and has that good empathetic personality then it can be really helpful. They can level out your thinking with facts.

Also pap smears are a preventative measure. The reason we have them is so that we can get at things early before they turn into something sinister. Although it seems terrible right now it is a good thing that you were diligent and we have really great early detection, we all have complex bodies and sometimes just need a bit of treatment to get it back on track. Its why doctors always push regular pap smears. For me I just had to have a small procedure and I was okay afterwards, but like you I definitely thought I was in serious trouble.

Remember your body is always working towards healing. So try and take care of yourself as much as you can and I recommend another chat with your GP to discuss your anxiety. They also might be able to give you some medication to calm you down while you wait, if your anxiety is really bad.

With love

Natalie