FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A short Hello to those on this insidious course.

Svensvensen
Community Member

Hi, I'm Sven. I'm 54 and have suffered from OCD GAD and Major Depressive Didorder for over 30 years. 

I am getting lazier - if I'm not at work, I'm doing nothing - TV is the only thing that stops my ruminating thoughts  if it was not for my 3 kids - youngest 11 - I think I may have bundied off by now , the constant sadness and frequent panic are taking their toll  

I can't tell anyone at work - I am a high level Manager  I need the money, after 2 divorces and with custody, I feel like I am on the proverbial treadmill.

I have huge debts which I can cover currently, but if anything happens, im in trouble  

Has anyone found a way out of the rat race, and the mental condition with any form of success?

sincerely,

Sven

2 Replies 2

Sujema
Community Member

Hi Sven,

I am new to this forum. I live with PTSD and Major Depression.  I empathise with your struggle with constant sadness. it takes it's toll.

I'm wondering if you are currently on medication.  I applaud your ability to maintain a working life, and the huge responsibility of raising children whilst managing your illness. Do you have any support at all, to allow time for your necessary self care? Relaxation, walking in nature, classical music, etc? I find they really help as an alternative to vegetating in front of the TV, as I also find myself doing, to switch off my thoughts. Except, there is so much negative sh....t, it does nothing to aid the healing process. You have to be selective in your viewing choices.

I discovered my Depression is linked, in part, to my Hyperthyroidism, and wonder, since your illness is so long standing, whether it might pay to check your Thyroid levels + particularly the thyroid antibodies.

Most depressive symptoms can be linked to Autoimmune Thyroiditis, as the inflammatory cytokines inflame and block neurotransmitters such as Serotonin and Dopamine. Always good to rule out possible causes with a simple blood test.

If your depression is not helped with Psychotherapy or cognitive therapy , it must have a physiological cause.

I wish you well,

Sujema

TheSteve
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Sven,

Thanks for sharing your story. I admire what you've done to raise your children despite the divorces and general unhappiness. You are a good man.

I happen to feel that Sujema's advice is golden. The small things really count, day to day, in making a long term difference in how you feel regardless of the financial situation. Just living small, living for the moment, living for the little things, can really make a big difference. Also, undergoing a process of elimination in what the underlying factors could be, is an exercise that really must be conducted. This will give you a goal, and possibly pull you out of the malaise of the grind you feel stuck in. 

In addition, talking through it helps. If you need a bloke to circle back with, shoot me a note. I'm sure others will join our conversation over time. Let's not face it alone, we can all chip in and help with the day to day, small and big items.

All the best to you mate.

Steve