FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A mess

A_mess
Community Member
I'm so embarrassed. I drank and drove to the supermarket with my daughter. I was over the limit. What kind of mum does that make me. I can't even think why I did that nothing happened luckily. Rightfully so she hates me and so does my husband. I do enjoy drinking that I even hide bottles so yes I'm a alcoholic.
5 Replies 5

stormcloudz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi there messy, and welcome.

To me, the real positive in your post is your own awareness of the situation. Lots of people who drink find it difficult to get past denial. You know there's a problem, which means you can sort it out. It's a long road and you'll need support, but there is definitely hope.

You will find a warm welcome here, and you won't be judged, we will just want to see you safe and healthy.

Do you have any support systems to help you deal with stress and drinking? Do you want to tell us a bit more about what's going on for you?

Thanks for your reply, moved here from London 7 years ago found it quite hard for the first 2 years Noticed that I was drinking quite alot but thought nothing of it my husband said I should cut down. I can go without drinking but that's no excuse. If have an argument with my husband or feel upset everything thought in the past keeps coming back and what do I do I hit the bottle and then hide it but always get caught and then I deny that I have drank how pathetic am I. I keep promising my husband that I will stop but what do I do keep carrying on I make him feel like shit but he is still with although it maybe just for the kids. He even bought a breathalyser and I when it comes up positive I say it can't be right. These thoughts keep coming back and I keep saying I will change but I'm week and a coward

stormcloudz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Aww messy, you're not weak or a coward.

People generally drink to manage pain. We might have been through difficult times, or have an underlying tendency to anxiety, or both.

There's no way of learning good coping mechanisms when we are young, unless we happen to have unusually aware parents. We certainly don't learn this at school. So we turn to other things.

Until we deal with the underlying suffering, it's hard to just give up our coping mechanism, until it becomes so destructive we have to look for other ways. You might be at this point.

The good news is that there are many people who have trodden this path before, and will greet you with love and understanding.

AA may be a good place to start - it's not just for people who are completely down and out, it's for anyone whose drinking affects their lives. And you can find a meeting almost anywhere. Just google and you'll find one. Don't worry, they won't ask you to change overnight.

In the meantime, please know that you can say anything here and not be judged. This forum is full of people who are trying to find their way, and they will just want to support and care for you.

stormcloudz
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
PS do you want to talk a bit about the thoughts that keep coming back? It can help to vent, even if it's a bit scary. And there might be someone on this forum who has had the same thoughts.

A_mess
Community Member
I feel so useless. I have a loving family and i keep getting thoughts in my head saying i dont belong here and they would be better off without you.