FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

A hard year

Gadzooks
Community Member

Hi all,

Didn’t think I’d ever get to the point of posting here though I guess I thought I’d be feeling better by this point in the year. I was properly diagnosed with anxiety at the start of 2019 and have had periods of depression as well. I’m trying to do everything in my power to help and make it better and yet twelve months down the track I’m here unable to sleep because my brain won’t stop. There’s a lot of positives from 2019 but I can only hope things are easier soon. It’s hard to focus on progress and enjoyment when you’re having a million thoughts at once. I guess I’m here to just exist in a space where I’m understood for a bit. I’m anxious at making phone calls at the best of times although I’ve used the Lifeline text service before. Anyway I’m not going to do anything right now just hopefully sleep having let this out.
Thanks

G

4 Replies 4

White_Rose
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Dear Gadzooks

Hello and welcome. Good to have you here.

I wish I could say recovering from anxiety and/or depression is an overnight fix. Unfortunately it's not and we learn to work hard on our difficulties. But the reward is amazing. Never give up and celebrate every step forward including the small ones. In fact the small ones may be more important because they contribute to the large successes.

A reminder that beyondblue has an online chat which is similar to email. Click on the Chat Online at the bottom of the page. It is available between 3:00pm to 12:00am 7/24. Beyondblue has a great deal of information which you may find useful. Look under The Facts at the top of the page. You can download the fact sheets and send for any booklet you would like. No charge.

Please post in here any time you wish. I wish you a happy Christmas.

Mary

Aaronsis
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Gadzooks

It is so great that you have reached out here and come to get support in what you described perfectly, a place where people understand and care, and can support each other through these so very hard times.

Depression, anxiety as well as all these thoughts are a really really hard thing to have to manage, I am just so thankful that there are doctors and are medication that we can call on to help through these times. They dont always work straight away as you know and with lifestyle and some self love and taking care of you they can be managed. I am so pleased that you have made that appointment and you have got some help there.

Lifeline is such a brilliant resource and we are so very lucky to have such amazing people, I hear what you are saying in that it is hard to talk on the phone, but you know they are there if you find yourself really really struggling, 13 11 14, you dont even have to say that much, they will be able to understand you are struggling.

Do you have some interests, some hobbies or anything that you do enjoy doing? that makes you feel good and feel good about being you? It is ok if the answer is no, but things like even taking a walk or a swim or reading or watching a funny movie can really help.

I am so pleased you have reached out and I hope you have managed to get some sleep after posting here. It is great to talk to you Gadzook.

Huge hugs

AS

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello G, thanks for coming to the forums.

We hope and wish that this next year is going to be without any problems but as we know unfortunately we can never predict, although what might have been a good result from the past may not be the same in the future just because circumstances or even relationships may be different.

One outcome doesn't necessarily benefit all situations, and that's when our personality can and probably will change for the better but also for the worse.

Sometimes we are able to work through these different conditions, while other periods, anxiety or even a type of depression may develop which we may have had once before, but it maybe a different type that we can't associate with, that's the time to contact a friend, a family member or indeed your doctor/counsellor.

The more you struggle by yourself the deeper this issue becomes, that's why communicating with people who have had the trained experience need to help you or even those people who have been through this themselves.

There are many of us who are not qualified but struggled through illness in many different ways.

Hope to hear back from you.

Geoff.

Thanks all for listening and responding. There is something nice about being in a space where people can get it. I did sleep eventually though I’m naturally pretty exhausted.
Lots of good steps have been taken, I have a wonderful GP and psych, my meds are finally not making things worse and I can even succeed at CBT once in a while (still struggle when there’s too many thoughts). I started going to gym which has been far more enjoyable than I expected. I have managed to avoid doing something stupid by going a few times.
I am understanding towards the need for time and to follow through the process, just feels like the world keeps piling it on this year. I was discriminated against for my mental health despite turning up to work and doing my job well every day (though let’s face it didn’t want to get out of bed half the time). I don’t want to place unreasonable expectations on 2020, but goodness I hope with a new job and new people that things have the capability to improve.
I think I’ll always struggle with following through to call a service. Kinda find it hard to recognise when I should. The online and chat services are a little less daunting though.

You’re all very kind and I appreciate your words, especially in this busy time.
G