FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What I learnt in choosing a health management after a mental health crisis.Why dont they listen?

Mydium
Community Member
I had been mismanaged, kept in a zombie like state, my words for further help unacknowledged. A compliance to see a psychiatrist ..ignored. All resulting in my children taking me to hospital for intervention.. I felt betrayed by a GP I trusted. I had no fight left however to question any further. I found that some doctors are more mental health aware than others. I found the difference between clinical psychology(more specifically trained to work with mental health issues) and regular psychology. The new GP requested all the tests i needed given my medical history, I was now under a psychiatrist. My GP referred me to an exercise physiologist and a clinical psychologist who was right up to date with therapies.I was advised about diet and now thanks to supportive people , professional and family/friends slowly on the turn around. My now new health professionals talked to me as a human being, they listened . I was no longer being treated by a person that perhaps saw me as the cash cow, but by people who were genuinely interested in my wellness and helping me to get to a better place in life. My GP doesn't presume to know everything there is to manage mental and general health , knows where to draw a line. This i think is important. There is so many choices out there for people with mental health issues and their families. But it would be nice to have a list of doctors who are genuine about mental health. The rest and vast majority need to be re-educated about mental health, to fully inform their patients , to learn how to listen, instead of treating us from the fact they think they know best. If the GP is treating one with depression as something shameful , how then do we get better?
3 Replies 3

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Mydium~

What can I say? - You are exactly right. As the expert on yourself, your feelings and condition it is imperative that the treating medical professional respects this and acts accordingly. Too many GPs appear not to have in an interest in or the training to deal with MH matters.

Unfortunately it is just when you need understanding and correct treatment the most you least able to deal with health professionals who are ineffective or worse. To treat depression as shameful in any other circumstances would be laughable.

I've had MH conditions for a very long time and have concluded it is the realtionship and trust with the professional that makes therapy work - no matter what kind. I think you are very fortunate firstly to have perceptive and caring children who have taken you to hospital, and that has resulted in your finding a better class of GP, psychologist and psychiatrist.

I'm very glad you condition is turning around.

As for a list, I'm afraid I only know of word of mouth. Some medical centers list their practitioners and give the areas of specialty for each. That may be a starting point if there is nothing else, however if it does not work out the only choice is to change -something many cannot bring themselves to do.

I hope you have now found the right environment and improve heaps

Croix

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hey mydium - ur rght . i know exactly how u feel. the system is wanting.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hello Mydium, and a warm welcome.

I can't argue with you and there are many examples to show this to be true, one is when you are admitted to
hospital the information is meant be sent onto your GP and psychologist but I found out that this never happened, they weren't informed of what actually happened and were surprised to know that we had been admitted, so this lack of care or information needs to improved because we might be unaware of all the details.

Sometimes there maybe a counsellor in 'the community health centre that has more experience in actually knowing what does happen and how we can be helped to overcome our depression or perhaps a granny sitting on a .bench seat in a shopping centre who has seen and been through more than they wished for, by looking after their own kids and grandchildren or other children they aren't related to.

There is list of doctors that deal with mental illness on the BB site, I wish I could provide it for you but I'm using an ipad at the moment and would not like to loose this reply, hopefully someone else will be able to give it to you.

Take care.

Geoff.