FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What does my psychologist want me to gain from writing down everything I like?

Baileybasil
Community Member

I just had my first session with a new psychologist, she left me with a note on things to work on, one of them being writing down everything I like.

My question is, what does she want me to gain from writing this down? I’m not sure what to do afterwards?

11 Replies 11

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Baileybasil,

I just wanted to say I think it’s fantastic you are seeing a psychologist…. Well done

Stick with it… 🙂

I suggest you do what your psychologist has asked…. You may be surprised from the outcome.

tranzcrybe
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Maybe she needs a shopping list for your birthday party... or is there more to it than that?

Ask yourself again after you have written it.

I’m just sitting here staring at the list though

That’s ok …….take your time …. Have you begun?

Yes, that’s what I mean- I’ve written things down but how do I apply this to helping my mental health? I felt like I just did nothing

Hello Baileybasil, we need to go and see a psychologist because we are suffering from some type of depression, that is our thoughts are negative, so to get you to write down everything you like doing, is trying to open your mind up so that you can try and unlock the way to enjoy something in life once again, that is, get some positive thoughts back into you.

If this can be done, then you can slowly push away any negative thoughts.

Best wishes.

Geoff.

These things don’t give me positive thoughts anymore, they’re just that- things

Hi Baileybasil,

Thats great that you have written down some things …. Well done 👍

Thats all you need to do…. At your next psychologist appointment your psychologist will work through the list with you and find a pathway forward to help you

keep up the great work Baileybasil you really are moving in the right direction.

Keep it up …. Looking forward to hear about your progress in the near future 😊

have a nice day

Do you think there could be some distinction between 'things' and 'everything'?